Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

4 week old wants to nurse all the time and barely sleeps.

My lo is 4 wks old and I ebf. I wanted to start pumping to build up a supply when I go back to work, but lately he has been wanting to nurse every hour and will nurse for 45 minutes to sometimes over an hour. Is this normal for a baby to nurse 45 minutes to over an hour just on one side? He constantly wants to be near a warm body, so I've had to resort to baby wearing. If I put him down, he wakes up within 15 minutes before I can get a chance to pump. Has anyone experienced this and is there hope that this will pass?

He also has barely slept since he was days old. I read the average newborn sleeps 16 hours a day and I think he may clock in closer to 7 or 8 hours (mainly sleeping during the day) which is half the average. He will have to be in daycare a couple days a week when I go back to work, and I'm a bit anxious on how he will react since I won't be around to nurse him as often and I don't want it where he is sleeping through the day and awake all night. I've tried the 5 S (H. Karp) , Rock and Plays, White noise, etc. but that doesn't seem to do anything for him.

Re: 4 week old wants to nurse all the time and barely sleeps.

• Options
    Well the nursing all the time may be due to the four week growth spurt. My LO was like that at four weeks. I would talk to your pediatrician about the sleeping. Is he crying the whole time he is awake? Colic?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree about the growth spurt. They have a ton the first year, especially in the first few months. Try looking at kellymom.com for an idea of when they are and what to expect. Make sure to keep nursing on demand because this increase in frequency is building your supply to meet their needs. They are tough but you'll get through it! I found they would last around 1-3 days but could be up to a week!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So what's the problem?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

So what's the problem?

This. It sounds like normal baby behavior to me. My LO doesn't sleep nearly as much as they say--every baby is different though.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    rlyttlerlyttle member
    Sounds like a growth spurt and you need to relax. Feed him as much as needed. If he is unhappy throughout the day maybe there is another issue maybe gas? Try some gas drops. As far as daycare, every mother has some anxieties about that. Just talk to your daycare provider about the daily routine. Express to them that you don't want the baby sleeping all day. Take a deep breath. It's all going to be ok. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"