June 2014 Moms

Can't find my cervix?? Advice pls...

Found out that I won't get to see my actual OB till my 39 wk checkup. I'll be seeing her nurse until then and apparently, the nurse does not do cervix checks? I'm a data kind of gal, so I'd like to check my own cervix to see if I can feel anything. I tried. I can't frickin find it!? It just seems super soft up in there and I can't find anything. :/ is there a trick I'm not aware of or did my cervix secretly move to a new spot?? I know this is somewhat of a SS post, but oh well... I'm looking for some helpful tips if anyone has any. Thanks. :)

Re: Can't find my cervix?? Advice pls...

• I did. And google. Got some tips on what it should feel like but I can't feel anything. It just feels like a never ending vag...
  • LadyMacaronLadyMacaron member
    edited May 2014
    Can I ask what you are looking for or hoping to find? Your cervix isn't going to tell you anything of much value at this point, which is why they aren't checking it. (Some might say that cervical checks never are of much value, if your are trying to predict when labor will start). And no, your cervix hasn't disappeared, it's still there.

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • Loading the player...
  • Just to clarify, I have been seeing my OB regularly. I should have said that I won't see her again until I'm 39 wks. My plan was definitely not to be prodding around in there super aggressively, I just wanted to see if I could feel my cervix. My hands were washed and I did have a thin latex glove on. I can't help but wonder how sex is okay at this point, but putting a small sterile finger inside is not?? I'm not looking to start labor, so I guess I'll just leave well enough alone. Thx for the advice ladies.
  • My doc couldn't tell me if I am dialated or anything bc my cervix is pushed really far back. I would not try to feel your own cervix....
  • I'm glad that you have decided to leave it alone.  From your OP, it sounded like you were planning to ram your fingers in your cervix trying to determine if it's open.  Thus, the concern from the board.

As someone who practices NFP, I had to feel my cervix all the time before my BFP and feel like its NBD.  Even at an early appointment I asked by OB why it felt that my cervix was so low. However, I only grazed the outside and dared not do more than that.  I haven't bothered it anymore since I was around eight weeks.

While I don't know what you should expect at this stage of the game, I am sure that your cervix is still there.  Your doctor will confirm this at 39 weeks.  If your finger felt something soft like your lip, that was probably your cervix.  It can also be as hard as the tip of your nose.  Please don't check it again, just think about what  you felt the first time.

HTH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • What ElTrain said.  I check mine because I'm curious.  That said, if you can't find it, it's probably still just way up high.  Also, nothing about how dilated/effaced/high/posterior you are will tell you anything about when you'll go into labor, so if you can't find it, I'd assume high and still closed and go with that. :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• edited May 2014
    The gifs really made me crack up! Thanks!! Haha! The UPS I don't know but that was just too funny probably because of all this lack of sleep lol oh and the WTF cat!! Yes!!
  • I'm with eltrain on this one. As long as you aren't shoving something pointy and sharp up into your cervix there's no harm. A lot of women feel their cervix when ttc, this isn't any different. Wash your hands and feel away. Personally, I find it interesting to feel the changes that happen the closer I get to delivery. OP sometimes your cervix can be pointed back until things really start to get ready for delivery... Don't stress about not being able to find it, it's there!
  • I love that there's teams. We need uniforms. What's the appropriate mascot for team cervix?

• jshropjshrop member
    I feel like this is better left to professionals.... And I'm with @emilyh107‌, this whole conversation is making my vag hurt :(
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• @lilygrace48 I love "surprised"! "Exhausted" looks like it might need some antibiotics...

@jshrop embrace the beauty of the cervix! I'm just cracking up that you keep getting "cervix convo" notifications everytime someone comments ;)

• I didn't know it was possible to check your own cervix. my OB gets way up in there, mine is always high, so I don't think I could even if I wanted to.
  • I've got a legit question for @mrsbhm I keep hearing when a cervix is "high" it's hard to check.....but if effacing just thins if out...wouldn't it be, like...super super high during that stage and then just kind of disappear? I only ask for curiosity purposes ;)

• I'm with @ElTrain5 on this one.  If you are still cleared for sex, then there is no reason not to explore things.  
    I honestly believe "self exploration" is the only reason my last baby was born in the hospital and not on the side of the road.  I was not contracting and only felt some pressure.  After taking a shower I did some exploring and was quite surprised to find that my vag wasn't as empty as it should be.  A quick visit to the doc (who was reluctant to do a pelvic since I was only 32w3d) revealed I was already 6cm dilated and my son was born a few hours later.

If you're going with ungloved hands, make sure to scrub up first and trim your finger nails.  Your cervix will feel like a tiny donut.  Don't freak if you can't reach it, it may still be high and tight and difficult to reach around your giant belly. 
    ****Siggy Warning****

IVF Cycle #1 - 4/06/2013 -3dt of 2 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFN 
    IVF Cycle #2 - 7/18/2013- 3dt of 3 embryos.Froze one 3AA 6 Day Blast! - BFN
    IVF Cycle #3 - 9/15/2013 - 3dt of 4 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFP!!!
    10/7 - +HPT - Beta #1 10/10 - 72, Beta#2 10/14 - 518,Harmony 21 @ 12 weeks shows one very healthy little BOY!!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jshropjshrop member
    @izzetoot‌ wins!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• MrsBHMMrsBHM member
    ElTrain5 said:
    I've got a legit question for @mrsbhm I keep hearing when a cervix is "high" it's hard to check.....but if effacing just thins if out...wouldn't it be, like...super super high during that stage and then just kind of disappear? I only ask for curiosity purposes ;)

Not necessarily. I've seen all kinds of cervixs (what the heck is the plural of cervix anyway?!) Some high and thin, some thick and low, etc. I don't think I'm answering your question though... But the cervix doesn't disappear until right before you deliver...you can be totally effaced but still be closed. Does that make any sense or help at all?
  • @mrsbhm thanks lady! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"