August 2013 Moms
Options

how often IL

How often do your ILs visit if they are out of town (ie, a plane ride away)? How long do they stay?
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List

Re: how often IL

• Options
    During the winter, they come almost every other month and stay for 2-3 weeks. During the summer they work, so we dont see them unless we go to NJ

• Options
    Caz1221Caz1221 member
    My ILs live a 1.5-2 hour flight (9-10 hour drive) away from us.  My MIL is semi-retired and has visited 4 times since LO was born for 2-4 days each time.  My FIL came for 2 of those visits (he's a teacher and so will likely visit more often this summer).  We also went to see them (and DH's entire extended family who all live in the same area) for Christmas and stayed for a week.  I get along really well with my ILs, and MIL is great with LO, so I like that she visits relatively often.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My ILs live 5.5hrs away.

It really depends how often we see them. There's always a big gap from after Christmas to sometime in spring. Then it's every 6-8weeks. We had been going out there mostly before the twins were born. Hauling everyone and everything out there now is tough.

They've come to see us more often as of late than we've gone out to see them.

• Options
    I do not get along with my ILs. They have visited every other month for a week at a time since she was born. We are taking a week long vacation with them in August.

FIL just texted us asking if they can come for a week in June or July. We said no because our summer is packed and we are seeing them in August. FIL is flipping out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I should add that when we see them it's usually only for a long weekend. Even around Christmas, 4 days is about my limit.

They also take my big one for a week in the summer. He loves it.

I get along w my ILs. They are wonderful w the kids and love them to pieces. My MIL has her moments, but I honestly can't say a bad thing about them.

• Options
    LEMSALEMSA member
    They live 20 hrs away by car. So they stay 5-7 days at a time. They come about 2x/yr and we see then twice a year too.
  • Options
    My IL live out of the country and have yet to come back to visit since moving full time in the beginning of 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
  • Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    edited May 2014
    MIL came right after LO was born, again in December when I had to go back to work for a bit to finish my contract, and she'll be here for his first birthday.  We also saw her in March when she was visiting SIL and we drove down there too.  She tends to fly out to California about 3 times a year to help SIL with the kids during their school breaks, so she'll either come to see us before/after being at SIL's or we might drive down there and visit them too once a year.  FIL usually comes out just once a year in the summer but he made an extra trip for Thanksgiving to meet LO.  He's decreasing the amount he works and getting close to retiring, so he might come out more often.  They each stay with us 1-2 weeks when they're here.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My inlaws live 5 minutes away.  They take care of LO 2 days a week so I see them those 2 days plus usually once on the weekends (either at church or they swing by for a few minutes).

My parents live an hour away so they swing by every week or two.  They usually hang out for a few hours.  We usually hang out at the house and then either go somewhere to eat or grab some dessert.  When I visit them - we make it an all day type of thing.  We usually arrive around NOON and stay until night time.  Now we just bathe LO there, put him in his PJs and head out so he sleeps on the way home.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    Mine live about an hour away. I'd be fine it it were further. We probably see them once every week-two weeks. Did I ever tell you guys about the time SIL came over, turned on our TV and then proceeded to nap on our couch for an hour? Then she whines that she doesn't see the boys enough. Waste of my freakin time.
             image         image
  • Options
    They're about 4.5 hrs away by  car. They usually come up for two days, a weekend most of the time, though their last visit was just 24 hours, which was fine with me!

• Options
    My ILs live 3 hours away. We see them about once every 6 weeks, which is more than enough for me.
  • Options
    MIL lives in another continent. She came for 10 days in the fall. We just got back from a month there.
  • Options
    My IL live about 30 mins. Away we only see each other about 1 a month usually were the ones to go over and stay a weekend there. Same with my parents.
  • Options
    My in laws are one-two days away by plane. They will not be coming here due to money, visas, etc but we are hoping to go next summer for a few weeks
  • Options
    RevezRevez member
  • Options
    My FIL lives in. Missouri and my MIL passed away when DH was 11. FIL has never come out here (can't afford it) so I have never met him.

• Options
    LBibLBib member
    ILs are 6+ hour plane ride and we see them 1-2 times per year for 7-10 days. They stay with us and go on a 'vacation' from us mid week to give everyone a break for a night or two. Our ILs do not have a toddler friendly house. Although we visited when DS1 was 9 months, we won't be going back until DS2 at least 4 and can be trusted not to touch/break everything in sight.
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My MIL lives on another continent. She visited for a month last October, and she will be coming again for another month this September. Since DH owns his own business, it is near impossible for us to visit them, since it's currently a one man show. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    MIL is a 6-7 hr drive (45 min plane ride) away, she comes MAYBE once a year for a day or two.  FIL is a 16 hr drive (3 hr plane ride) away, he's not here much at all.  We're always the ones going to them.  We see them a few times a year.

• Options
    My ILs visit pretty frequently. They live a 1 hour flight away, or a 6-hour drive. They are both retired. They visit probably once a month or every other month, and stay anywhere from 4-10 days. The nice thing is that they have a family friend that lives about a mile away, and they stay with her. But once we move next month, they will have their own guestroom at our house…

But I get along really well with my in-laws, so I actually enjoy their visit. I get help, and company during the week when my husband at work. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"