Working Moms
Options

Who else is both?

I'm a medical transcriptionist which allows me to work from home. I work full time Monday- Saturday from about 7-8 hours. Even though I'm a working mom I still consider myself a stay at home mom because I'm at home haha. Are there any other working/stay at home moms?

Re: Who else is both?

• Options
    I guess that makes me WFH and not WAH. I work full-time from home but DD is in daycare. My job is a lot of conference and other types of calling and I have projects with deadlines I can't push if she's feeling clingy (which she is...A LOT.) Luckily her DC is less than a mile from my house though and most of my time is pretty flexible so I'm able to go nurse if I want to and her days there are much shorter than when I was commuting to an office job. I also try to keep up with as much housework I can on little breaks so that our time as a family is maximized on weekends.

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I guess that makes me WFH and not WAH. I work full-time from home but DD is in daycare. My job is a lot of conference and other types of calling and I have projects with deadlines I can't push if she's feeling clingy (which she is...A LOT.) Luckily her DC is less than a mile from my house though and most of my time is pretty flexible so I'm able to go nurse if I want to and her days there are much shorter than when I was commuting to an office job. I also try to keep up with as much housework I can on little breaks so that our time as a family is maximized on weekends.
    That's really great. I usually breastfeed my baby while I'm working on scripts lol. And on breaks I'm able to do some house work and surf the web like I am now. I wouldn't want to trade my job for an office job because I like being able to spend time with my family. My husband works an out of home job and always comes home tired and exhausted and I'm all well energized. Although my work does take a lot of me, especially while being pregnant now. I feel like being at home just makes it so much better. And at least I can raise my children.
  • Options
    That's really great. I usually breastfeed my baby while I'm working on scripts lol. And on breaks I'm able to do some house work and surf the web like I am now. I wouldn't want to trade my job for an office job because I like being able to spend time with my family. My husband works an out of home job and always comes home tired and exhausted and I'm all well energized. Although my work does take a lot of me, especially while being pregnant now. I feel like being at home just makes it so much better. And at least I can raise my children.
    uh... what?  Maybe think about what a rude thing that is to say to a board of working moms?
    Yeah. Eeek. I was still "raising" her when I commuted. If the WFH position hadn't fallen into my lap I still would be... :-/

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Options
    VOR said:
    This is her first post.  MUD. 
    Kind of roundabout to be MUD...
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    ilovepink94ilovepink94 member
    edited May 2014
    Lmao oh my goodness you ladies are so sensitive. I didn't mean that in any rude or offensive way LAWD. Yes working from home allows me to be able to not miss out on my children's milestones. I had my daughter in daycare. It was a mostly Hispanic daycare like most where we are from and they barely spoke English to the English speaking children. They had all the kids participate in their Hispanic holidays. And my husband and I were not really comfortable with that. On top of that my daughter would always have scratches on her arms when we picked her up after work. At first we thought it could have been her nails so we cut them. But the next day low and behold, a new scratch. Knowing that I didn't know what was happening to my child while she was in the hands of other people is what motivated me to pursue a home job. I also feel like I missed a lot of milestone while she was in daycare. So yes, I feel like now that I am at home I am raising my child. Before I only saw her for 6 hours each weekday. Now I get her aaaall day :) I get to spend time with her aaaaall day. While I'm working she is right here. I can take as many breaks I want to spend time with her as long as my deadline is met. So y'all get all pissy if you want to over nothing. I stick by what I said because I know what I meant by it.
  • Options

Lmao oh my goodness you ladies are so sensitive. I didn't mean that in any rude or offensive way LAWD. Yes working from home allows me to be able to not miss out on my children's milestones. I had my daughter in daycare. It was a mostly Hispanic daycare like most where we are from and they barely spoke English to the English speaking children. They had all the kids participate in their Hispanic holidays. And my husband and I were not really comfortable with that. On top of that my daughter would always have scratches on her arms when we picked her up after work. At first we thought it could have been her nails so we cut them. But the next day low and behold, a new scratch. Knowing that I didn't know what was happening to my child while she was in the hands of other people is what motivated me to pursue a home job. I also feel like I missed a lot of milestone while she was in daycare. So yes, I feel like now that I am at home I am raising my child. Before I only saw her for 6 hours each weekday. Now I get her aaaall day :) I get to spend time with her aaaaall day. While I'm working she is right here. I can take as many breaks I want to spend time with her as long as my deadline is met. So y'all get all pissy if you want to over nothing. I stick by what I said because I know what I meant by it.
    Whoa.

You weren't okay with your daughter learning Spanish at a young age? Because honestly, that was one of the things we *looked* for in a daycare --- exposure to multiple languages as an infant makes it easier for a child to be bilingual (or more) as an adult. 

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a good parent and a good employee at.the.same.time.  I can't say which you are slacking on, and maybe you have a job where you can get away with not paying any attention to what you are doing, but I had to bring my DD to work with me this morning...and I only got the most essential things done.  It's certainly not a tenable arrangement for every day. (daycare was unexpectedly closed and I had to come in).  She was neglected while I worked, and my work was neglected to play with her.

My parents both worked full time my entire childhood. I don't consider anyone else to have "raised" me.
    Okay but that's you honey. That's what y'all want for your children. That's how you guys want to raise your children. That's the cool thing about raising your children, the fact that you can do it the way you want to right? My husband is German and I'm Hebrew. We both speak our native languages. & my husband's grandparents ONLY speak German with a little choppy English here & there. We prefer, as their parents, for our children to learn Hebrew & German before they learn any other languages besides English. Right now Hispanic is neither important or relevant to us or who they are because we don't even speak it. I only know few of my colors & numbers in Spanish haha. But hey when they are ready to learn it on their own then sure they can. But we do not speak that & we personally will not raise them as part of a culture of our family to speak it. & I am a great mom. All I do for work is TYPE. That's like saying me telling you I don't know how you can be a good mom & on the bump worried so much about my life at the same time. So think what you will but seeing as these bills are getting paid, & my daughter is the happiest baby I ever seen, my life, that you know nothing about, speaks otherwise. I am not the first & definitely will not be the last mother to work at home & still able to spend time with their kids.
  • Options
    "Right now Hispanic is neither important or relevant to us or who they are because we don't even speak it. "

You do know that Hispanic is not a language, right? 

I'm starting to lean toward troll
    Well I wouldn't know that would I? Because like I said, we know nothing about that life lmao. I don't even know what's the difference between types of Hispanics. Doesn't effect me none. This post isn't about who knows Hispanic stuff either so I don't think we need to keep running on with that.
  • Options
    litzo27 said:

What do you mean you "are Hebrew"?

Hebrew is a Israel, Africa race & culture. I was born & raised there until I was 11.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Please do your research. And I don't just mean google some mess. Really get an education and do your research. I was born in Israel, Africa. Hebrew is a race, culture, & language there. Hebrew race dates all the way back to the bible and Hebrews are mentioned several times in the bible and the land they were in was African land. There are over a 1,000 different races of African & African languages for each tribe. As far as the Hispanic insight, I really do not care lol. This post has nothing to do with all that. And definitely has nothing to do with me. & I stated that I don't know anything about that which I really do not mind not knowing. You can keep dragging on this Hispanic thing like everyone else but I can assure you I don't care about all that lol.
    yeah. said:

Whoa.

You weren't okay with your daughter learning Spanish at a young age? Because honestly, that was one of the things we *looked* for in a daycare --- exposure to multiple languages as an infant makes it easier for a child to be bilingual (or more) as an adult. 

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a good parent and a good employee at.the.same.time.  I can't say which you are slacking on, and maybe you have a job where you can get away with not paying any attention to what you are doing, but I had to bring my DD to work with me this morning...and I only got the most essential things done.  It's certainly not a tenable arrangement for every day. (daycare was unexpectedly closed and I had to come in).  She was neglected while I worked, and my work was neglected to play with her.

My parents both worked full time my entire childhood. I don't consider anyone else to have "raised" me.

Okay but that's you honey. That's what y'all want for your children. That's how you guys want to raise your children. That's the cool thing about raising your children, the fact that you can do it the way you want to right? My husband is German and I'm Hebrew. We both speak our native languages. & my husband's grandparents ONLY speak German with a little choppy English here & there. We prefer, as their parents, for our children to learn Hebrew & German before they learn any other languages besides English. Right now Hispanic is neither important or relevant to us or who they are because we don't even speak it. I only know few of my colors & numbers in Spanish haha. But hey when they are ready to learn it on their own then sure they can. But we do not speak that & we personally will not raise them as part of a culture of our family to speak it. & I am a great mom. All I do for work is TYPE. That's like saying me telling you I don't know how you can be a good mom & on the bump worried so much about my life at the same time. So think what you will but seeing as these bills are getting paid, &
    my daughter is the happiest baby I ever seen, my life, that you know
    nothing about, speaks otherwise. I am not the first & definitely will not be the last mother to work at home & still able to spend time with their kids.

Here's the thing: Hebrew is not a nationality, and Hispanic is not a language.

but I'm sure glad your children are being raised by you....

• Options
    Lmaooooooooooooo! I have never heard something so funny in my life :D girl I can't even with you :D I gotta screenshot this & put this on my instagram so all my African family & friends back at home can have the best laugh ever! Thank you so much for making my night <3

<blockquote class="UserQuote">

Africa is a continent. Israel is not in Africa, it's in Asia. Though I think most consider it a European country.

Unless you were born in 1973 during the specific time Israel held the Suez Canal. And you were born in that specific territory. But considering you claim to have continued to live there till 11, and your grammar is more in tune with the 20 year old your SN suggests, I'm guessing that's not the case

There I go spouting my knowledge of other cultures though. You can blame my parents for sending me to daycare/preschool

• Options
    & also 94 is the date my husband & I got married. It stands for a month & a day lmaooooo.

Lmaooooooooooooo! I have never heard something so funny in my life :D girl I can't even with you :D I gotta screenshot this & put this on my instagram so all my African family & friends back at home can have the best laugh ever! Thank you so much for making my night <3

<blockquote class="UserQuote">

Africa is a continent. Israel is not in Africa, it's in Asia. Though I think most consider it a European country.

Unless you were born in 1973 during the specific time Israel held the Suez Canal. And you were born in that specific territory. But considering you claim to have continued to live there till 11, and your grammar is more in tune with the 20 year old your SN suggests, I'm guessing that's not the case

There I go spouting my knowledge of other cultures though. You can blame my parents for sending me to daycare/preschool

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @PrivacyWanted‌ all that you see in green in the first picture belongs to Africa or South Africa. I come from Israel, Africa. It is the very small nook of Israel you see that connects it to Egypt. Making half the land a part of Africa. And that is the only part of Israel we consider as Israel, Africa. Because it is..... Well Israel, Africa. Now if you go too far on the other side of Israel you find yourself in Muslim/South African territory. We have been in a fight with the South Africans for years over who should have the full right to Israel & other parts of Africa. My village was very dangerous to live in because there was always riots & wars over the land which is why we moved to America when I was 11. They are still fighting over who should get full claim of Israel. Africa believes we should because it was ours originally. & South Africa believes they should because they feel it is a part of their country. Please do yourself a favor & don't ever try to tell someone where they came from. I seen a lot of wars & devastation growing up in ISRAEL, AFRICAAAA. Things you could never even bare to look at or imagine POSSIBLE. & I promise you I was not in Asia the whole time. & also never read a username & calculate & age from that. That's just plain stupid.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Who said aaaanyyything about Turkey hmmmmm? Don't go astray just because you know your wrong Hahaaa. We are talking about Israel. Stay on subject ;) & this is how I also know that you are very uneducated. You would know the difference between South Africa & Africa if you were as educated in that field as you claim. & you would also know about those country boarders. Saudi Arabia is SOUTH AFRICAN. Syria stands on it it's own as AR/ Arabian republic sweety. Not that I said ANYTHING about Syria or Saudi. I was clearly only talking about Israel. Where I am from. Turkey is mainly European and belongs to neither Africa or South Africa. Once again, who said anything about Turkey? Just because you were proven dead wrong about Israel that doesn't mean you gotta go & pull out all these other places out your booty hole. It would be easier for you to just not reply back & just face the fact sometimes in life you are going o be wrong. Asking the questions you just asked me would be like me asking you "well then your saying that Canada is not a part of America then? That's just no."

Oh and FACT dummy:
    The Middle East IS NOT just Asia. What is up with you & all this Asia nonsense? Yes Asia is in the Middle East, but that is not the only thing that's there sweety. Idk where you are getting all that from. Please view a map & look how the world is designed. There is more out there than Asia. There's this really nice place called France. You'd love to learn about it. And noooo it's not in Asia.

The first picture. You're saying Saudia Arabia , Syria, Turkey and Israel the very well known country of Israel not some tiny unknown region of a big continent ... All those are in Africa ?

No. Just no.

Fact: The Middle East is on the continent of Asia.

• Options
    litzo27 said:
    Guys - please stop feeding the troll! I don't know why she is here or what she wants but if we keep throwing bread crumbs she may never leave. She already displayed complete such surreal ignorance of geography, language and plain old common sense that I am forced to conclude she ain't for real. Otherwise it's just so sad. Troll troll go away, come again to another board...
    *yawns*
  • Options
    emberlee3 said:
    AllI can say is that this post explains a whole lot about why my dictations turn into nonsense when transcribed. Thankfully, my hospital is moving to voice recognition software.
    Which will still be monitored & edited by a medical transcriptionist lmao. Most hospitals already have those & we go over those too. Nice try sweety :)
  • Options
    Wow - I jumped into this post to see what others had to say about being a work at home mom and it seems it got ugly quick. I'm new to the boards so haven't learned quite yet what a MUD or Troll is - but neither sound very good. I'm soon to be a work at home mom - First baby is due on October 4 - and I agree with most of the offended women on here - that raising your baby or child is not about whether you're home all day or at work all day - its about well how you raise them, period - no matter your work or non-work situation.

I know for me, after maternity leave, going back to working full time is not a choice, it is a must financially - and while I will be at home, I work 7-9 hour days mon-fri and won't have time many days to spend too much time with my child - it will be like I'm in an office. We are probably opting for a nanny, so I can have the child close to home and see him/her when I can take breaks, but if daycare was our only option, we'd be going that route. I was a daycare child with two working parents and was raised with pretty good morals/standards. I can't speak from eperience as this is my first, but I feel raising children is not about quantity of time but quality of time. just my two cents anyways.

On a switch the topic slightly note - to all of you mom's who are work at home - how do you balance the work time and baby time, if your baby is also at home with a nanny or family member, etc...that is my fear - that I'll have trouble focusing and slack on my work. Any suggestions?

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    Speshul said:

Right now Hispanic Hebrew is neither important or relevant to us or who they are because we don't even speak it.

Because like I said, we know nothing about that life lmao. I don't even know what's the difference between types of Hispanics HebrewsDoesn't effect me none. This post isn't about who knows Hispanic Hebrew stuff either so I don't think we need to keep running on with that.
    lmaoo okay so if it's not irrelevant to you sweety then why did you waste your time with all that? lmao the funny thing is you ladies really think your getting somewhere with doing all that extra. But you just look dumb. I don't care if Hebrew is irrelevant to you honey. Why would it be? Are you Hebrew??? Most likely not. Same reason why Hispanic things are not relevant to us lmao.
  • Options
    SpeshulSpeshul member
    edited May 2014
    Speshul said:

Right now Hispanic Hebrew is neither important or relevant to us or who they are because we don't even speak it.

Because like I said, we know nothing about that life lmao. I don't even know what's the difference between types of Hispanics HebrewsDoesn't effect me none. This post isn't about who knows Hispanic Hebrew stuff either so I don't think we need to keep running on with that.
    lmaoo okay so if it's not irrelevant to you sweety then why did you waste your time with all that? lmao the funny thing is you ladies really think your getting somewhere with doing all that extra. But you just look dumb. I don't care if Hebrew is irrelevant to you honey. Why would it be? Are you Hebrew??? Most likely not. Same reason why Hispanic things are not relevant to us lmao. 
    I'm sorry, is there something wrong with the logic I used in the above sentences?

ETA: I'm glad you can see that the above sentences look dumb.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It got ugly quick  because it only takes one person to lurk & look for something to get all snoochie goochie about. & then the hyenas come & join in. You will notice that happens a lot on here despite what the OP says. My post was suppose to be about the same question you are asking. I'm happy daycare has worked out for you guys. But it just wasn't for us. I know I wasn't raising my child in daycare. That's why I said "I" when I mentioned being able to raise her now. I wasn't talking about everybody else. I only saw her for 5 or 6 hours each day. Most of those hours she spent asleep because she was tired after daycare. Our routine was to pick her up from daycare, come home, I'd breastfeed her, play for about an hour, & by this time it would be 8pm & we both have early schedules. So we put her to bed and we went to bed also. What is an hour with my baby? Sometimes I felt like I barely knew her. She would come home doing new things she wasn't doing the day before. & I got really depressed because I knew I was missing all of that. & then all the deep scratches on her arms I didn't know where she was getting from was just scary. Both my husband & I realized something had to change because we weren't happy. So I quit my job in the hospital & I started working at home as a medical transcriptionist. The pay is better than what I was making in the hospital. But the best thing is I get to be a mother. Once again I said "I" for all you hyenas lurking & reading this now. Because I KNOW that I WASN'T a part of my babies life before. Like I said, what is an hour? That was all that "I" was getting.
    Wow - I jumped into this post to see what others had to say about being a work at home mom and it seems it got ugly quick. I'm new to the boards so haven't learned quite yet what a MUD or Troll is - but neither sound very good. I'm soon to be a work at home mom - First baby is due on October 4 - and I agree with most of the offended women on here - that raising your baby or child is not about whether you're home all day or at work all day - its about well how you raise them, period - no matter your work or non-work situation.

I know for me, after maternity leave, going back to working full time is not a choice, it is a must financially - and while I will be at home, I work 7-9 hour days mon-fri and won't have time many days to spend too much time with my child - it will be like I'm in an office. We are probably opting for a nanny, so I can have the child close to home and see him/her when I can take breaks, but if daycare was our only option, we'd be going that route. I was a daycare child with two working parents and was raised with pretty good morals/standards. I can't speak from eperience as this is my first, but I feel raising children is not about quantity of time but quality of time. just my two cents anyways.

On a switch the topic slightly note - to all of you mom's who are work at home - how do you balance the work time and baby time, if your baby is also at home with a nanny or family member, etc...that is my fear - that I'll have trouble focusing and slack on my work. Any suggestions?

• Options
    oh hey @allyerrn!

btw we use Dragon too, and when I teach the docs how to use it I emphasize the fact that no one else will be editing this for them, they must make their own edits!
    & then does Frodo & Sam come & the whole elf kingdom to edit & slay the dragon? Because it sounds like your telling story tells. Idk what kind of hospital you run, but all edits are responsibility of the medical transcriptionist. Because all transcripts are our responsibility. A doctor does not get paid to do that or has a certificate to do it. If a doctor just simply writes you A NOTE on a piece of cardboard, it has to be put on file that the note was written for legal purposes. So every time you tell these doctors (which this is most likely a lie) to go & edit it themselves, you are breaking the law honey. Please get it together.
  • Options
    Speshul said:
    Speshul said:

I'm sorry, is there something wrong with the logic I used in the above sentences?

ETA: I'm glad you can see that the above sentences look dumb.

& I'm glad you looooove to waste your time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"