May 2014 Moms
Options

Milk/colostrum production only on one side?

I am almost 39 weeks. For about the last month, my left breast has been occasionally leaky at night. My midwife and lactation consultant gave me these medela cups to wear 6-8 hours a day to help bring out my inverted nipples. The pressure would cause my left breast to leak slightly but nothing major. Well tonight when I took off the cup, my left breast had about 2 tablespoons of colostrum and I spilled it everywhere. My right breast had nothing. Same amount of pressure and same amount of time wearing the cups and my right breast didn't produce anything and has never leaked. Why would only 1 breast leak? Will this be an issue after delivery? I'm scared he will suck on my right breast and nothing will come out. I will mention my underarm on my left side has gotten a lot bigger. I thought it was a small pouch of fat but my midwife said it was breast tissue so maybe that is why the left is an overachiever

Re: Milk/colostrum production only on one side?

• Options
    I can't really speak for how things will be once the baby is here, but after I had DS, my riggt breaat produced way more milk than the left. I always had issues with the left side when I was BFing. I think it is pretty common for one to produce more than the other and there are ways to try and stimulate more production for the side that is struggling. When I pumped, I would only get maybe half an ounce or one ounce out ofthe left and then I would between 4-5 out of the right one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    Pre-baby production doesn't mean much, so what you're experiencing now probably isn't a very accurate prediction of what you'll experience once your LO is here. Even breasts that appear completely dry during pregnancy will often begin to produce normally once your milk actually comes in.

However, lopsided/uneven production is very common -- pretty much inevitable, in fact. You can almost count on one breast producing more than the other. And sometimes they switch. Sometimes one breast will lag for a few weeks, and then it will start producing more and the other will lag for the next few weeks.

So don't sweat the dry one now! It's still too early to tell. And it could even end up being your bigger producer.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    sws684sws684 member
    Thanks for the thread! Mine are doing the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"