Pregnant after IF
Options

For those who are having or who have had twins...

Hey Ladies!  I hope all you twin mommas are doing well! Carrying two babies is certainly not easy!!

So, I am curious, what are your thoughts/plans in terms of natural delivery vs. c-section? Assuming you are in the position where both babies are head down & no reason not to, will you try naturally? Or do an elective c-section? The docs at my practice prefer natural first but they give you the option when delivering twins. I'm feeling really torn about this and hate having the choice! There is something that really scares me about pushing two babies out safely vs. c-section. I am a total planner and would rather have a scheduled section than something going wrong & needing an emergency one. I also have so many friends who went though hours and hours of labor to then have a c-section or tore in 5 places, etc. So part of me wants to go straight to the section, BUT then there's the whole recovery thing. And, everyone I know who has gone naturally asks why I would ever chose surgery, while everyone I know who has had sections has asked why I would ever want to go through labor & delivery. Ugh...which is the lesser of two evils? Thoughts?? 

*****Siggy/Ticker Warning*****

Me (34)- no issues found MH (36)- MFI due to Vericocele. Straight to IVF w/ICSI 9/12, Antagonist. 9R, 7M, 5F = BFN c/p,  New RE for IVF #2- 1/13., Long Lupron. ER on 1/22 -10R, 9M, 9F. Transfer on hold due to overstimming. FET in Feb. 2 frozen blasts. Another BFN & another c/p. RPL testing all negative besides MTHFR gene, vericocle repair surgery 4/12/13-Bilateral Grade 3 Vericocele found & fixed, IVF #3 with PGS  4/13- 11R, 9M, 9F. Transferred 2 normal=BFN, 3 normal on ice. CCRM-here we come! ODWU-All test results normal. EPP in August. 21R, 20M, 19F. 12 blasts biopsied & frozen for CCS testing. Results showed 11 normal! FET Oct. 30. 2 5d 4AA blasts transferred. First ever BFP!!! Beta 1=216, Beta 2=870 1st U/S=It's TWINS!!! It's a BOY and a GIRL!! Everyone Welcome!!! 
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: For those who are having or who have had twins...

• Options
    My thoughts are pretty much the same as PP. I would prefer a vaginal delivery because I really don't want to care for 2 newborns while recovering from a c/s. I had a laparotomy (basically same incisions as a c/s without cutting into the ute) in 2009 and remember thinking it would be so hard to take care of a baby when feeling like that. On the other hand the idea of a double whammy delivery is scarier than that of a c/s recovery! Chances are I won't get an option and will have to have a c/s. Baby A is almost always head down, but Baby B is transverse and even if she got into position she would probably flip as soon as A was out. She's quite the stinker!! My OB won't do a breech extraction.

Honestly, though there will be recovery needed for either type of delivery and there's just no way to know which one might be worse for you. If you feel more comfortable planning a c/s then go for it.

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Options
    I have had one natural already and plan on having these two the same way. There are a lot of health benefits to the baby going through labor and delivery as long as they tolerate it well. Going through the birth canal helps to expel fluid from the lungs. I will deliver in the OR but do not plan on even having an epidural placed if both babies are vertex. That's my personal choice though and I'm sure many would think it's crazy. I had an epidural with my last though and hated the before during and after of it so that adds to my choice.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want a natural delivery more because I want to experience the birth.  Maybe I'm weird like that!  haha  My doctor is on board as well, as long as one baby is head down.  They will even deliver the second one breech as long as they got the first one out ok.  I had never planned on using an epidural, but I guess they use them for twin births because if they had to do an emergency C-section for the second they would want to be ready.  Delivery also takes place in the operating room just in case.  Even though I really really want a natural birth, I am also preparing myself for a possible C-section so that I don't get too disappointed if it comes down to that.  
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Married since 2007

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am having a RCS. I had a great recovery with DD, so hopefully I will with these babies also. My labor didn't go so well, 36 hours and only dialated to 4 and baby wasn't tolerating well.

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• Options
    I honestly haven't given it much thought at this point. Too much can happen and I know I'm not going to be running this show. I'm not that girl who will have a birth plan etc--just gets these babies out safe and sound and I'll deal with it.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    I'm going for whatever is safer for the babies over whatever is easier for mommy. I'll only attempt a vaginal if they're both head down. Of course, my girls have been every which way BUT head down together lol. I do not want to labor for 10+ hours, exhaust myself, put the babies in distress, then end up needing a c-section. I don't want to labor, give birth vaginally, then have something distress baby B so she ends up needing a c-section. I don't feel comfortable having the OB attempt to deliver baby B vaginally if she's breech, since it's not a for sure that she'll flip and I've personally known twin moms where this didn't work out so great. So yeah. Plus there's something nice about having a scheduled c-section :)

• Options
    xtina78xtina78 member
    I'm going to prepare for a vaginal birth, but if my doctors advise against I will go for a c/s. Doc said he's fine with a vaginal birth all things being equal as long as baby A is vertex (which she is right now) and Baby B is vertex of transverse (which she is right now). Of course there could be a lot of things other than baby position that would cause need for a c/s so I won't be too surprised or upset if it goes that way.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My doctor discussed all the options, vaginal with both even if the second is breached, c-section, or vaginal followed by c-section. He mentioned no matter what, I'll be in an OR to hold the two teams. Although my preference is for a vaginal delivery, at the end of the day it comes down to what is best for the babies. My birth plan is to have no plan, the babies will dictate what we do.
    Me: 37 DH: 41
    Dx: Endometriosis
    TTC May 2012
    Jan 2014 IUI#1: BFN
    Feb 2014 IUI #2: BFP
    Beta #1: 403
    First u/s: 3/14 It is TWINS!!
    EDD: 11/12/2014 ~ Boys x2
    ~~ All welcomed ~~

• Options
    @JSM0801 Hii!!! Sorry to crash your post but wanted to say congrats and I'm sooooo happy for you! Twins!!!!! Crossing Fx and toes that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and healthy babies!! I just started stims for IVF#2 (finally), hoping to join you over here next month! Take care!

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Seems like everyone's choice is so personal. I am trying vaginally. Baby a is head down and b is breach, but OB doesn't seem to be phases by this. As others have said, I know there is a good chance a c-section will be needed, so I have come to terms with it. I, too, am worried about recovery with twins. My older sister tried vaginally for 14 hrs with her twins and ended up with csection. Strangely enough, she was glad she did it. She was glad to experience each. Good luck. People have great outcomes each way!

• Options
    Hi!  My dr. prefers a vaginal delivery but also let me know she won't deliver vaginally if one is breech.  I also have to be in an operating room for either kind of delivery and heard there will be at least 12 people in that room.  What a team to welcome my twin sons!  Either way, c-section or vaginal, I trust my dr. and can only hope for a safe, and happy/healthy delivery for me AND my babies.  I know there will be a recovery period with either one and frankly I am just so excited to think of them being here!  

I am headed to the dr. today for my anatomy scan!  I'm 19 weeks and 3 days today.  Can't wait to see them!   Good luck to all!

************** Siggy Warning************

Married August 2012 -- Me (40 yrs old) My husband (45 yrs. old) 

RE referral from ObGYN in late Jan. 2013 -- Testing Confirms Unexplained IF 

IUI #"s1 - 3 (Femara + IUI) April - June 2013 - all BFN

Decided to do IVF... Began stimming on September 10th!  Egg Retrieval 9/20/13.  19 eggs: 6 to mature to freeze after 6 fertilized with ICSI

3 morula stage embryos transferred on 9/25/13.....Beta #1 on 10/4/13/ = 7.5  Beta #2 on 10/6/13 =  negative

IVF#2 - Lupron plan  (set to begin on 10/28/13)  (Planning on thawing and fertilizing our 6 eggs with ICSI as well as all of the mature eggs they retrieve with this fresh cycle.)

Late October 2013 - ectopic pregnancy - methotrexate injection....benched 3 months

CD1 - 12/5/13...Lupron set to start on 12/26/13; CD1 - 1/2/14....Baseline 1/3/14....begin follistim tonight and continue with lupron.  (Got my calendar today!  IVF#2 is a go!)

ER = 1/14/14  (11 eggs....9 were mature. 9 fertilized.  Of the 6 mature eggs we thawed, only 4 fertilized.  At this time, we have 13 eggs fertilized and growing.  Waiting for news about a 3-day or 5-day transfer.)

ET = 1/19/14  (5dt).....3 blastocysts transferred!   (All nine embryos didn't make it to freeze.  =(  )

Beta #1 = 1/28/14   (2 weeks after ER)  BFP! 209 (9dp5dt)   EDD 10/7/14

Beta #2 - 1/30/14  (11 dp5dt) 302

Beta #3 - 2/3/14  (15 dp5dt)  1222 

Ultrasound set for 2/17/14......TWINS!        Twin A - HR 124 bpm; Twin B - HR 126 bpm

Final Ultrasound with RE 3/10/14 - Twin A - HR 176 bpm; Twin B - HR 177 bpm.

PAIF/SAIF Welcome! 

imageimage 

imageimageimage

• Options
    JSM0801JSM0801 member
    Thanks for all your replies! It is very helpful to hear your thoughts on this, since we're all in the same boat here. Most important is getting these babies out safely, so I guess it really doesn't matter which way they come out. Some things in life you just can't plan. But after reading all your responses, I am leaning towards attempting vaginally first if possible. It is comforting to know twins are delivered in an operating room with a large staff in case of an emergency. 

@IntuitiveBlue- I am totally with you on the nightmare scenario of having a vaginal delivery for A followed by an emergency c-section for B. With my luck, that will happen! Eeek!!

I can't wait for us all to get to meet our babies soon! :) 

Me (34)- no issues found MH (36)- MFI due to Vericocele. Straight to IVF w/ICSI 9/12, Antagonist. 9R, 7M, 5F = BFN c/p,  New RE for IVF #2- 1/13., Long Lupron. ER on 1/22 -10R, 9M, 9F. Transfer on hold due to overstimming. FET in Feb. 2 frozen blasts. Another BFN & another c/p. RPL testing all negative besides MTHFR gene, vericocle repair surgery 4/12/13-Bilateral Grade 3 Vericocele found & fixed, IVF #3 with PGS  4/13- 11R, 9M, 9F. Transferred 2 normal=BFN, 3 normal on ice. CCRM-here we come! ODWU-All test results normal. EPP in August. 21R, 20M, 19F. 12 blasts biopsied & frozen for CCS testing. Results showed 11 normal! FET Oct. 30. 2 5d 4AA blasts transferred. First ever BFP!!! Beta 1=216, Beta 2=870 1st U/S=It's TWINS!!! It's a BOY and a GIRL!! Everyone Welcome!!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JSM0801JSM0801 member
    BellaLux said:
    @JSM0801 Hii!!! Sorry to crash your post but wanted to say congrats and I'm sooooo happy for you! Twins!!!!! Crossing Fx and toes that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and healthy babies!! I just started stims for IVF#2 (finally), hoping to join you over here next month! Take care!
    Hey Bella!! It's been so long! You are absolutely not crashing my post. I am so happy to hear from you and "see" you back on TB. I am so excited for you to finally be cycling again!! I really really hope you are joining us over here soon too! I will be checking up on you over on the IF board and cheering you on! Lots & lots of good luck to you!!!!!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm only 11 wks with twins so idiot know what positions they will be in or anything. I do know with my first child I was a little scared of labor and open to a c section so I wouldn't have to push.

After giving birth vaginally to my 8lb 15 oz DS I know I can do it just fine. So I'm really hoping to have a vag birth with the twins. I am open to whatever needs to happen though and I think that's te best attitude to have.

I also just found out my OB is leaving so I need to pick a new one which scares me because I don't know about the diff drs perspectives towards vag birth for twins. But hopefully it will work out well.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Options
    I'm probably an oddball here, but I have absolutely no attachment to having a vaginal birth. I never had, but infertility has probably made me more against it. Trying things the "natural" way failed us when trying to conceive these babies, so I don't totally trust it when it comes to bringing them into this world. 

With that said, I will do what my doctor tells me. If he thinks that I can and SHOULD deliver vaginally two healthy babies with little chance of having to labor (or even birth one) and THEN have a C-section, I'll go for it. If he thinks yanking these puppies out through an incision is my best bet, then I will show up for a C-section wearing my party pants (okay, party hospital gown?). 

My goal is delivering SAFE babies and I will give birth standing on my head if that's what my doctor says I need to do to have them. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My doc recommended a scheduled c-section for my twins. I don't really consider it "elective" from the point of view that I'm just setting a date for the heck of it, or for my convenience, or because of a doctor's vacation, etc. I'm going to schedule it because it will be the most controlled environment to bring these two into the world. I'm also on blood thinners for a blood clotting issue, and having twins, and as PP's said, I don't particularly trust my body to do things correctly, so a scheduled c-section is the best choice for me and my family. I think, like any parenting decision, you just gotta do what's best for you and yours! Haters gonna hate, no matter what. :)
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I want a natural birth if possible :)
  • Options
    My boys are 4 months old now so
    Hope you don't mind if I jump in. They were mono di so I opted for a planned c section (36 weeks). Very glad I did. I had a painful recovery because the nurses sucked at pain management but aside from that everything went well. No surprises!
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-sec w mine at 31w5d, and the recovery was actually pretty easy!
    D (34), J (37) and T3 (ages 2, 2 and brand new)
    Nov '10: IVF#1: BFP! Girl. Missed m/c at 14 weeks. Devastated
    Apr '11: IVF#2: BFP! Twin Girls born on Dec 3, 2011 at 31w5d! One month in NICU.
    Oct '13: IVF#3: BFP! Girl born Jun 19, 2014 at 38w3d!
  • Options
    We were a scheduled section at 37w. Initially I was sad I didn't get to deliver vaginally but ultimately I needed us all to be safe. Plus one was breech & the other was transverse so they decided for me lol. Recovery wasn't too bad either. Good luck! You're getting close!
    "Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    Just posted my birth story, but going through it right now, csection is no joke. Painful to move, can't get much done and feel useless. Guess it is getting a little better each day, and I don't have vaginal to compare it too. Procedure and hospital stay were painful, stressful and wouldn't want to do it again. Had no choice, as we tried vaginal, but I wouldn't take csection lightly. Good luck guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"