May 2014 Moms

Why would my doctor want to induce me?

Hey ladies! I am new to all of this bump stuff so bear with me. I'm 39 weeks today (May 21 is my dd), I had my 39 week appointment yesterday. Well my Dr. said I'm not dilated at all . Other than that everything is perfectly normal and healthy. My BP is 120, I've had a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Well she asked me if I would like to schedule an induction, completely caught me off guard! I've read all about how dilation doesn't really mean anything and due dates can be wrong. I just don't understand why she would even mention an induction a week before I'm due. She confused me with all these stats on fetal death rates and how placentas go bad. I really don't want to be induced before my body is ready and if there is no medical reason. Why would she even ask me about induction this early? I'm not even that uncomfortable yet and feel like maybe baby isn't ready yet. It just really confused and upset me. Any advice or input would be nice. Thank you!

Re: Why would my doctor want to induce me?

• I'm not sure. My doc recommended scheduling C-section at 41 weeks if baby remains high and I still do not dilate. He informed me induction with a baby that high and 0 dilation may be stressful on baby and mom.

I'm sorry I have no answers but look forward to others responses.
  • You can tell her no. Most doctors won't induce until 41-42 weeks. Did you ask her why she wants to induce this early? I am doing everything I can to not get induced and go naturally. Yes, the placenta can go bad after a longer period of time if the baby has their first bm in the womb but mostly they come when they're ready. For her to encourage you to push it when you and baby aren't ready just tells you how doctors are with births these days; convenience for them.
    image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • HalanaMHalanaM member
    @libbylu7 She really didn't give me a reason for mentioning induction. I do feel like it was for her convenience or something. This is my first baby and my understanding is that she will most likely be late. I'm not going to be induced until I feel like I need to be. I really don't want to have a c section because my body wasn't ready. Thank you for your input! 
  • Did she say WHEN the induction would happen? Scheduling one for 41+ weeks is probably just to make sure you get in easily if you need to. With my first baby we were going to schedule one at my 40 week appt, to take place at 41 weeks. I happened to go into labor the day of the regular appt so it was never needed, but I would've scheduled it for when I felt safe. My doctor won't let us go past 41 weeks because of the placenta... and yes, due dates CAN be wrong, which also means that they can actually be earlier than you thought rather than later, which would make me even more nervous about the placenta. Either way, don't do anything you're not comfortable with, but scheduling an induction for the very end of when would be safe, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • HalanaMHalanaM member
    She said I could schedule it for next Wednesday. (my due date) I'm thinking if I hit 41 weeks then I will think about it! 
  • A lot can change very quickly. I would stand firm on no induction until you get to 41 weeks. It's your body, your baby, your delivery. You get to call the shots (as long as there are no complications).
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Did she say when? She may mean an induction at ~42 weeks, not tomorrow. I'm in the same position, 39+ weeks and not dilated at all. My OB said that if he tried to induce while I am this unfavorable, it would mean about a 50% chance of needing a c-section. DH suggested I schedule an induction for around 42 weeks at my 40 week appointment so I at least have a date to look forward to. Calm my Type A nerves somewhat :)

Mine said same about unfavorable conditions. I hope both of our babies decide to come on out to play soon!
  • HalanaMHalanaM member
    Thanks ladies, I feel a little better knowing everyone feels the same :)
  • ACOG says up to 42 weeks is completely normal, within range, & safe (as long as mom & baby are doing well of course). I would not schedule one before then & would side-eye big time any OB that suggested it. Definitely sounds like this is more about her than you & baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doctor will not schedule an induction until I reach the 41 week mark. If you feel uncomfortable speak up and ask questions. This is your pregnancy and your baby.
  • Some doctors just do it for convenience. Others will mention it, if there are other OBs that could deliver you, and you want to pick which doctor to do it. The place I go only has 2 OBs, and she told me that some patients prefer a certain doctor to deliver them, and therefore they will induce (if favorable) on the day their chosen OB works.

But if you feel fine, then stand your ground!
    May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • fraseyfrasey member
    HalanaM said:
    She said I could schedule it for next Wednesday. (my due date) I'm thinking if I hit 41 weeks then I will think about it! 
    Id go this route!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    At my appt. yesterday, my OB said she's got an induction scheduled for me for 41 weeks.  She's hoping I go before then, but there are zero signs of anything happening.

They schedule them here, but really, it could be three or four days after that, depending on how busy L&D is.  Last time my induction took 3 days before I went into active labour, so I could still be looking at another 2 weeks before baby comes.

• XathXath member
    Placentas do age and decay, usually starting at about 38 weeks (but it takes much longer for there to be a risk to baby) by calcifying.  Is she concerned that you may have premature calcification?  My placenta started to calcify at 30 weeks, and continued rapidly, which contributed to the decision to deliver early for us because he was at a very high risk for a cord accident.  

But she'd need to do an US to tell how much calcification you have.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Offering and suggesting/forcing are not the same thing. Sounds more like she was just putting it out there if you wanted. If you don't want to, then don't.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• shipmrashipmra member
    I mostly lurk, but had to add that I went 14 days late with my first (purposely selected my doctor because of his lower induction/c-section rates).  They just did a NST twice a week after I was post-due to make sure everything was ok.  My OB was ok with letting me go even past 42 weeks with the monitoring and everything since I had no medical reasons to induce, but after that I think the risks of meconium increase and I probably would have asked to be induced.   This time around, it's looking like I will be late again (due today), so will probably just do the non-stress tests 2-3 times a week and pay good attention to fetal movement in the hopes that he comes before too much longer. 

Any doctor that wants to schedule an induction with no medical indication(s) before 41 weeks would make me very uncomfortable.  And even then, like a PP poster noted, the ACOG states going to 42 weeks for a healthy mother/baby is perfectly fine and normal.

Baby number two due May 14, 2014!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• drjwjdrjwj member
    My doc mentioned it at my 39 week check up too, but I think it was more just to get it on the schedule in case it fills up.  So far, no indications, but I also think he is used to moms being SO ready to have their baby he was pretty much willing to do it any time after my due date.  He was trying to schedule for a day he'd be on call so he'd be there for it.  I scheduled it for 41 weeks, but I am really hoping I don't go that long!
    Married April 2009 
    TTC since May 2010 
    2011 Unexplained IF
    Spring 2012: Tried Clomid x3 with TI, BFN 
     IUI #1 with clomid Sept 2012 BFN 
    IUI #2 with clomid Nov 2012 BFN
    IVF #1 with half ICSI, 2 embryos BFN
    IVF/ICSI #2 May 2013 BFN
    FET Aug 2013  beta #1 247, beta #2 866!!!!!!!

Due date 5/15/14!!!

imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My Dr. Mentioned inducing me after 41 weeks. But I'm surprised yours is talking about inducing at 39 weeks. I would write down your questions and ask her to clarify at your next appointment. She should listen to your wishes and not scare you on what can go wrong. If you and baby are healthy things will happen when they happen. Good luck.
  • After 40 week is when the placenta does start to become less nutritious for the baby but typically it's not an issue until 41-42 weeks. They may have been trying to get you scheduled for 40 weeks in hopes of having you at the front of the line or like another said, many moms are so ready that they will jump at the chance to be induced. Few moms understand the risks involved. It doesn't sound like they were pushy about it but just throwing it out there as an option. I know my friend was scheduled for an induction but every time they called in before heading in they had too many in labor to bring her in for an elective induction so her induction ended up being pushed back by a week almost.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• HalanaMHalanaM member
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the input guys... She was not pushing an induction on me but I know that she is very pro induction. And like PP said, I'm sure she is used to mothers jumping at the chance to get their babies out! I was looking for some advice on the safest option and others opinions, so thank you! I think I will wait it out until 41 weeks, but maybe have an induction scheduled just in case. 
  • Could be the size of the baby. At my 38 week appoint. My doctor said my baby is measuring big and when he checks again next week he may recommend an induction that week. He knows I want to avoid a c-section and if the baby continues to grow at this rate and I wait until after the my due date it will be a higher chance of me getting one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"