Babies: 9 - 12 Months

very restless and head banging at night?

My LO is 12 months and co-sleeps with us half of the night. About 2 months ago, he started to get very restless at night and what seems like fits. He starts crying and flinging himself all over our bed. He also pushes his head against the headboard. I thought he was doing it by accident but I realized he continued to do it. He's basically ramming his head against the headboard and not lightly at all. No matter what I try at night (nursing, rocking, soothing) it continues. This goes on for almost 2 hours (on and off) until he finally settles. I know it's normal for kids to toss and turn but this seems a little over the top to me. 

Anyone else going through this? Any idea what's going on?

Re: very restless and head banging at night?

• I think 2 hours is a little excessive even though it is a normal behavior and I am assuming that 2 hours of this behavior is messing with his sleep. 

Have you tried putting him down a little earlier? Maybe he is overstimulated/overtired? My LO will pat himself on the head when he is overtired. 
  • Does he move around that much while in the crib and push against the rails? If not then maybe look at keeping him in his crib longer at night. Sounds like he is expressing a little bit of frustration and it could be the co-sleeping. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"