May 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: Book Recommendations

Now that I'm on maternity leave and waiting for this baby to show her face I need something to do. I know that after she is born I will have down time too especially since I decided to stay at home next year so....

What books do you recommend? I need something that I don't want to put down. Suggestions??
image Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: NBR: Book Recommendations

• Options
    What kinds of books/authors do you normally like to read?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is easily one of my favorites and Starz is making it into a tv series airing in early August. Her books are long, but worth it.

Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @spacepotatoes‌ Stephen King & Dean Koontz are my favorites but I also enjoyed the Hunger Games and Divergent series and I'm a huge Harry Potter nerd. I recently read The Book Thief which was excellent. Tried to read Game of Thrones and just couldn't get through them.

• Options
    If you liked Divergent you might like The Selection trilogy. Fun, easy, quick reads that are hard to put down!

If you like historical fiction The Winter Sea is one of my recent favorites.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    Well, if you're into YA, I enjoyed When You Reach Me earlier this year. It's sort of an homage to the Wrinkle in Time series and is a fairly easy, quick read.

I'm not too familiar with Dean Koontz and the only Stephen King I've actually read is Under the Dome so I'm not much help with books in that vein. The closest I think of may be something like Michael Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer, sort of a legal thriller.

I'll also throw out The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared. It doesn't really fit into any category but it was pretty entertaining!

If you actually have the attention span right now for a longer, deeper book, then I'd echo the Outlander books.
  • Options
    spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited May 2014
    Oh! Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island is good as well (in the suspense/thriller genre), especially if you haven't seen the movie. The book is way better.
  • Options
    Cheryl Strayed's memoir Wild is good, and I also enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars... Two soon to be movie recommendations!

I just read All My Puny Sorrows by Canadian Miriam Towes and enjoyed it.

Next on my list is The Goldfinch which won the 2013 Pulitzer.
  • Options
    FlemDanceFlemDance member
    edited May 2014
    If you like dystopian fiction like HG or Divergent, I would recommend The Maze Runner trilogy. I read it a few weeks ago and loved it. I need to start on the next book! The movie based off of the book comes out later this year, as well.

ETA: Repetiton.
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ltay1982 said:
    Cheryl Strayed's memoir Wild is good, and I also enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars... Two soon to be movie recommendations! I just read All My Puny Sorrows by Canadian Miriam Towes and enjoyed it. Next on my list is The Goldfinch which won the 2013 Pulitzer.
    I loved Wild!
  • Options
    @spacepotatoes‌ I am excited to see how Reese Witherspoon does in that role... It could be a very good adaptation!
  • Options
    Awesome! That list should keep me busy! :-)

• Options
    Gone Girl is a fun read (if you haven't already read it) and is coming out in theaters soon. I always love to read the book before I watch the movie. :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Another vote for Defending Jacob!
    I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    @Carpenter627 Into Thin Air is one of mine and DH's favourites as well.

I'd love a book club thread! We might have to wait until the baby boom is over, though, and everyone gets settled.

• Options
    Yes! Book Club!!! But I agree, wait until everything is settled cause right now I am bored but once baby girl comes it will be nutso for a while for me (and I'm sure everyone else).

• Options
    EmmagkEmmagk member
    I love the idea of a book club! This thread is perfect timing, I just finished the divergent series and am looking for something new.

2 books I read in the last year and loved were Jack and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both are not emotionally easy reads but worth it. If you are looking for something very light hearted and fun I highly recommend the I Heart New York series by Lindsey Kelk
  • Options
    TnpeachTnpeach member
    I enjoyed Sharp Objects.

New recommendations: the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. First is Guilty Pleasures, and there are 18 or so books in the series.

Delve into some Classic Sherlock Holmes. That's what I'm currently on.

Also, the Kathy Reichs books, aka the Bones books.
  • Options
    MimalooMimaloo member
    A friend recommended A Discovery of Witches trilogy by Deborah Harkness. I poo pooed it at first but was hooked as soon as I finally picked it up. Book three comes out in July and I'm psyched!
  • Options
    mmksmmks member
    Love this thread. I've read lots on this list and will add:
    - The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley
    - the Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
    - The Passage by Justin Cronin
    - The House Girl by Tara Conklin
    - Roses by Leila Meacham
    Plus anything by Janet Evanovich or JD Robb/Nora Roberts

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I hadn't even thought about the guilty pleasure stuff! For me, that's currently the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. The writing isn't great (not bad, either) but the stories are entertaining and pretty quick.

This is the series that True Blood is based on. I've heard that the show is actually better than the books, which I kind of believe from the trailers I've seen, but I haven't watched the show yet.
  • Options
    How about some old school Jackie Collins? Both the Hollywood Wives and Lucky series are amazing. Stick with the vintage classics though. I recommend up to Lady Boss and Hollywood Wives: The New Generation.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"