February 2013 Moms
Options

GTKY - Do you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist?

Drea926Drea926 member
edited May 2014 in February 2013 Moms
I'm just curious - do you see the glass half full or half empty? Somewhere in the middle?

(You can probably all guess where I stand!)

I will say this - I think optimism often gets confused with naivety but I don't think that's fair. You can understand the reality of the world but still choose to look more favorably at things. Optimism is a choice - sometimes a very difficult one!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

GTKY - Do you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist? 38 votes

Optimist
34% 13 votes
Pessimist
28% 11 votes
SS
36% 14 votes

Re: GTKY - Do you consider yourself an optimist or a pessimist?

• Options
    I voted SS. I am a very upbeat, bubbly person. But on the flip side, my bad moods are dark and cloudy. Once something goes wrong that puts me in that place I tend to get very "Well, of course! WTAF else is going to happen?"

I'm a Pisces. Those two fish swimming in opposite directions is not a drill haha.
    ;))
  • Options
    I chose pessimist, but I actually describe myself as a realist. My first thought when something "bad" happens is negative, but after a little while I am able to step back and see the positives too. I'm trying to be more balanced and I think I usually do a pretty good job, but I'm probably more on the pessimism side.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I voted SS because I feel like it's not entirely true to say I'm an optimist… though I guess I mostly am. I try to roll with the punches, laugh at hardships, and am eternally hopeful for things that have a 2% chance of ever happening. Keyword: try ;)  

• Options
    After voting optimist, I think Dubs response actually describes me better! Most of the time I'm really up beat, but — as you've seen — my downs can get really down.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Drea926Drea926 member
    I get down too of course! I'm not happy all of the time. I went through a really rough patch after DS was born. But my overall outlook on life in general is upbeat so that's why I describe myself as optimistic. :-)

• Options
    Realist here. Somewhere in between optimism and pessimism although reality seems to be closer to pessimism often.
  • Options
    I voted SS. I'm a realist. 

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    lrtrauth said:
    I'm a pessimist. I blame it on my anxiety. Every possible happening in my life, I think of everything that could go wrong and dwell on the worse case scenario. 

And to add to my pessimistic attitude, FFTC time. Definitely went into this thread thinking that if I saw anybody writing about the relationship between optimism/pessimism and their personality type, I would be DEAD.

Girl, YES on all fronts. 

I always prepare for the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised. 
    =D>

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    Drea926Drea926 member

Wowza. I feel all by my onesie!

What would you all do without me?! :P

• Options
    Realist.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Options
    Drea926Drea926 member
    Sagen said:
    SS- mainly pessimistic by nature who makes a conscious effort to be optimistic in many ways.

Yes! It's really hard to do that sometimes, but I really try!

• Options
    I put optimist - I'm the kind of person who will forgive and forgive and forgive someone until I'm really in a bad place with them.  I just believe in the goodness of people.  Sometimes it's hard, and it doesn't always apply (I'm having a hard time being optimistic about cheer this year because last year was such a bear), but generally I'm happy and think the best of what is going on around me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Eternal optimist over here! I believe in the goodness of people to my core, and perceive that people acting poorly toward me or others is a result of something terrible that has befallen them.

• Options
    Drea926Drea926 member
    Eternal optimist over here! I believe in the goodness of people to my core, and perceive that people acting poorly toward me or others is a result of something terrible that has befallen them.

Yes. Yes to all of this.

• Options
    I'm actually a little surprised by some of these responses. Never would have pegged @Sagen as a pessimist, for instance.

• Options
    DH would say I'm an optimist. I totally agree @Drea926‌ optimism does not = naive. I do believe that most people are good and I tend to forgive quickly. I strongly believe (and have experience) the power of forgiving others. It's amazing what it can do for YOU. In fact, it's the number one piece of advice I would give someone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • Options
    Drea926Drea926 member
    kbates85 said:
    DH would say I'm an optimist. I totally agree @Drea926‌ optimism does not = naive. I do believe that most people are good and I tend to forgive quickly. I strongly believe (and have experience) the power of forgiving others. It's amazing what it can do for YOU. In fact, it's the number one piece of advice I would give someone.
    I couldn't agree more @kbates85. I went through a really rough time with my mother a few years ago. I had a big epiphany that forgiveness isn't for the other person, it truly is for you. It's so you can let go and not let the other person have power over your emotions. It's very freeing!

• Options
    I'm a pessimist by nature but I work hard not to be such a Debbie downer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"