May 2014 Moms

When can/did you start taking baby out?

I'm still pregnant but with summer coming, there are a lot of upcoming family picnics/activities we would like to go to eventually once baby is here. When did you start taking baby out? Did you take them out sooner for a quick trip to the store or is there a specific time frame you have to wait? I remember my cousin took her baby to a family get together when he was like 2 weeks old, maybe even less. Also, where did you first take baby?

Re: When can/did you start taking baby out?

• mmksmmks member
    I think this is a matter of personal preference.  So for me, I'm not planning on staying away too much.  Flu season is pretty much over, but I plan to wear baby a lot so that will discourage strangers touching/breathing on baby. 
    Had my son out for a walk down the block about a week after he was born.  Can't really remember what our 1st real public outing was...maybe a breastfeeding support moms group when he was 3 weeks?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • MrsT2008MrsT2008 member
    edited May 2014
    I never purposely kept DD home and she was born in December. I kept her on me or in her car seat and never had issues with people touching her without my okay. We mostly went to target or the mall. Huge family Christmas Eve party when she was three weeks old was her first big gathering. This one will be out even more since I have another one already.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • cbrustcbrust member
    Today was DD's first official outing other than pedi's office, we went to Mother's Day brunch. (She is 9 days old). She slept the entire time in her car seat next to me.
    I will probably leave her with DH to do the grocery shopping for another few weeks or so, but I do plan in taking her for walks starting this week.
  • I think I took DS to work 4 weeks after his birth in February, so maybe the middle of March? I'll probably do the same again.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• 1 week I was at the chiro as 5 days in that hospital bed made my back a hot mess. 2 weeks I went to a mom's group. DD was born in January.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TkhixenTkhixen member
    I plan on taking mine out as soon as I feel up to going out in public.  I will be baby wearing, so hopefully that will discourage strangers from getting to close.  
    Married 3/30/13- me, 36  DH, 38
    BFP #1 4/15/13  EDD: 12/25/13- triplets M/C 6/1/13
    BFP#2 9/14/13   DD-born on 5/13/14

• I wait 2 weeks per my pediatricians recommendations. He says it gives the baby time to develop a better immune system so I also don't allow visitors other than family until 2 weeks but like pp it's your preference. I like how it worked tho with my son so I'll do the same with this one.
  • cnbeancnbean member
    We took DS#2 out to the store with us the day we came home from the hospital. He was 2 days old. And we took him to church at 6 days old. I just made sure that no one is messing with him and call it good. 
    image    image

• SMM1986SMM1986 member
    My ped recommended a month if possible, but tbh I was losing my mind. DS had a mother's day tea at school on Friday and we went shopping this weekend. I waited 2 weeks. I just made sure no one touched her and that I used hand sanitizer before touchingher while we were out.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Our pedi told us we could go to the store maybe keep him in the car seat and covered if we are worried about people touching him. He made a point to mention not taking young babies or babies with weak immune systems to church because that is one public place where often sick people will go. Makes sense. Really sick and contagious people aren't generally out at a restaurant or at a mall.

Took me about a week after coming home to go out and that was to a BF class. Now two weeks later we got our shit together enough to go for a walk in the neighborhood. I think it's what you feel comfortable with.

imageimage

• I wait about two weeks. Our first trip will be to church, then maybe some quick trips to the store, visiting grandparents. We will probably wait until one month for longer outings to go out to dinner, walk in the mall, DS's story time, etc.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• hfooterhfooter member
    I asked my pedi what he would so and he said he wouldn't take his kid out in public places till it's first round of shots at 2 months. So that's what we are gonna try to do.

That being said, I will take him to friends and family houses and on walks through my neighborhood. But I won't be hitting up stores or the zoo till he is 2 months old.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Maybe because I live in nj and people are just unfriendly assholes, I don't really worry about people touching her in public.

That said, we won't be going crazy, but I won't be a hermit either. We will talk to out pediatrician and see how it goes.

My third graders (121 kids) think I'm bringing her to their graduation. Sorry kids.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I had a csection so we were in the hospital 5 days, then first pedi appointment at 1 week. Then week 2 we mostly went for walks around the neighberhood. Week 3 I started meeting friends for lunch while baby wearing. We also went to a lot of bars during my maternity leave. DD was a November baby. She didn't get sick until she started daycare when I went back to work at 6weeks.
  • I am being induced on Wednesday, and my nephew's 3rd birthday party is Sunday. It's going to be all "family"- in quotes because that includes my sister in laws family. I plan on going if I feel up to it although they've told me there's no pressure and if I'm not up to it yet that's okay. BUT- I really don't want anyone besides like four of them (grandparents, aunt/uncle) touching him. Not quite sure how to accomplish this without being a bitch to my husbands family ... Unless I just stay home.
  • mrtmrt member
    I took him to Target with me at 3 days old after a doctors appointment. I took him out to lunch at 5 days old and 7 days old because I was spending time with my mom. I took him to the hospital when he was 8 and 10 days old because my mom had brain surgery and I wanted to go see her, I kept him in the carrier and washed my hands a lot. I probably would have stayed home more in the first couple of weeks if not for my mom's surgery, but no way would I have stayed in until shots at 2 months.
  • Maybe because I live in nj and people are just unfriendly assholes, I don't really worry about people touching her in public.

That said, we won't be going crazy, but I won't be a hermit either. We will talk to out pediatrician and see how it goes.

My third graders (121 kids) think I'm bringing her to their graduation. Sorry kids.

I had to laugh at the first part because it's true! If the same people who don't help me in the grocery store when I drop something on the floor at 9 months pregnant want to touch my baby, I will be shocked!

Anywho, I will probably take him just for walks at first, and then I will probably take him to Memorial Day at my sister's as his first outting. I will have him by the end of this week since I'm getting induced Thurs if I don't have him sooner, so he'd be about 2.5 weeks old. We will allow visitors before then, but will have a strict hand washing policy.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• awknycawknyc member
    Unfortunately I will have to take my baby out at 2-3 weeks old bc my sisters wedding is the first weekend in June. It doesn't help that my baby is already a week overdue either but I have no qualms over telling friends and family to please not touch the baby :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS's first week consisted of a trip to the pedi at 4 days old followed by a trip to BRU, at 5 days old we went to Walmart, at 6 days old we went to a funeral and to visit my dad's office, and right at one week I had my 1 week post OP appt. After that first week we made weekly trips to the store, to visit my parents and inlaws, as well as any other errands I had. DH works out of town. Sitting at home wasn't really an option if I wanted to eat, not go crazy, and see adults ever at all.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• With DD we took her to a family birthday and Memorial Day stuff at a week or so.  If baby is born this week, I'll probably take baby to my niece's birthday party Saturday if I'm feeling up to it.  With DD we kept her in the car seat a lot, but this time I plan to baby wear, so I'm even less concerned about having to pass her around.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ^ baby wearing is a great way to fight off over eager family/friends without telling them they can't hold the baby. Leaving them in the infant seat can deter them as well.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• @madelined633‌ my nieces bday party is also Sunday, my due date. My dr says she would be shocked if I make it to my due date but I doubt we will be able to go and im sad about it :(
  • My DD is 3 weeks old, so far we have been to CVS, pediatrician, OB, a bar my friend owns during the day for lunch though and there was like 2 people there, lunch out yesterday, my parents house, my in laws house, church, my mom moms retirement community and BRU twice. Idk I keep her in carrier and coach and ask anyone who holds her to wash their hands. To me completely underexposed kids are sick kids once they finally go into the world. My sister in law works for the CDC in infectious diseases and agrees with me (she is also a mom to a 2 and 4 year old) as well as my pediatrician.
  • haylo33haylo33 member
    Thanks. Makes me feel better. I didn't want to be trapped inside for a month+. We are actually taking baby on vacation first week of July when he will be around 5-6 weeks old. My husbands family rents an entire house every year and I figure if I'm sitting around at home, I can do the same there with family we don't get to see much.
  • awc1986awc1986 member
    DD was 3 days old when we took her out for a walk and to see her great grandma. We were advised to get her out in the sunshine by the midwife, as she was slightly jaundiced. She's now 9 days old and has been out almost every day, usually into town or out for lunch. We've had no problems with strangers touching her or getting too close. My only issue was today when we sat outside a cafe for lunch. Some people near us started smoking, so I just put the blanket over her stroller to keep it off her. I hate smoking more than ever now, but it's not my place to tell people to stop just because I have a baby.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• DS is 2 weeks and he's been to grandma and grandpa's twice, a family first communion party, the library, Target, Trader Joe's, Home Depot, a video store, my OB's office, a garden center, and walks at least every other day. Getting out keeps me and big sister sane. I wear him in the sling almost all of the time when we are out.

We are similar. We have been all over the place. DD1 has so many activities and we are keeping her routine and DD2 comes with us.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• haylo33haylo33 member
    What about outside activities? We love going to watch my nephew play baseball. Of course baby would be shaded the entire time
  • We have been to family events, the grocery store, a friend's toddler's birthday party at a play space, restaurants, etc. I took the baby out the day after we got home from the hospital. I might be more careful if it was flu season, but with an active toddler and nice weather, I can't stand staying home.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • jenb_99jenb_99 member
    DS was born on November 8, and by the end of the month he'd already been to church, a bday party for my mom, and two Thanksgiving dinners. He arrived right in the middle of cold and flu season but didn't come down with his first illness (a cold and an ear infection) until the following May. I am not a baby wearer, and people held him and touched him.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• For outdoor activities, just keep baby covered/out of the sun as much as possible. Since you can't put sunblock on them for the first few months, you need to keep them covered other ways.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I've taken baby out a few times first to visit some family at around 3-4 days and we went to the mall on day 5 but I wore her so nobody bothered her... We went to a baptism yesterday at 15 days also went shopping for a swing and breast pump on day 2 but she was in her car seat and covered
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS we didn't go out in public (other than doc appts) until he was 8 weeks old (any illness that causes a fever of 100.4 in an infant 8 weeks of age or less results in an automatic 48 hour hospital admission, spinal tap, etc.). We just went for walks and to people's houses. With DD we were first out at 4 days old. With a 2 year old in daycare who has literally been sick since we brought DD home, our house is probably one of the germiest places she will be. Plus we pick up DS from daycare everyday which is probably as germy as a pediatrician's office. So we have been out with her several times already. We just keep the car seat covered. I certainly wouldn't want anyone touching her, even if she is exposed to a lot of germs at home and daycare.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• At 2 weeks we've already been to the grocery store 3 times. I keep her covered up. I get really restless sitting at home all day.
    Our first big family outing was for mother's day. We also go on daily walks, weather permitting.

• ns1ns1 member
    My pedi is of the 2 month recommendation and likes to scare with the fever / spinal tap information. We did tjat woth DD and I about lost my kind and she was born in October. I will be taking this one out sooner and baby wearing.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
  • I don't know if you mean "out to a big event" or just "out of the house."  We took Benjamin out of the house back for a checkup when he was a day old to make sure the jaundice was getting better, and went for walks starting a day or two after we got home from the hospital, went to church when he was about a week old... pretty much we tried to live like we usually do, but with a baby, although I was unexpectedly quite shy about nursing him in public so we did stay home because of that sometimes.
  • typesettypeset member
    We went to Starbucks together on Saturday. 
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • alakealake member
    My oldest was born on Christmas Eve, I took her out on boxing day.  I needed to pick up some items and needed to get out of the house.
    DD2: I waited until 10 days.  I was staying with my mom and she did the running around.
    DD3: We shopped on the way home.  She came at 36 weeks and 6 days, and I didn't have everything I needed. 
    I needed nursing necessities. 
  • DD is almost 4 days old and we've been to my son's baseball game and target. We will go to Costco today. I have no hesitation about cruising around town.
  • My son will be a week old this Friday. Saturday my oldest has baseball games that I will be taking Ryan to. I will be wearing him and it is an early game so he won't be too hot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"