January 2014 Moms

eye contact and smiling

my daughter never seems to want to make eye contact and smile and me while I'm holding her but does so consistently when she is on the floor and little bit away from me or in her crib with me standing over her. I'm just wondering if anyone else's LO is doing that. Her brother smiles big whenever I hold him and talk to him so I'm concerned that she might have a vision problem. I know this is a question for her doctor and I plan to talk to him about it at her next appt. I know I'm probably being ridiculous but its so hard to not compare everything when you have two babies who are the same age. I've also been concerned about my sons vision because he doesn't really look at things that are far away :) My husband has really bad eye sight and mine is only so-so. I guess thats why I've been so crazy about it. 

imageimage

Re: eye contact and smiling

• I read somewhere that some babies don't always like people close to their faces. It's overstimulating for them. I feel like Brennon is like this. I don't think he has a vision problem because he looks at things close up and/or far away when he has the urge. I just think he doesn't like to be forced into eye contact, especially close up.
  • It could just be a coincidence that they have a preference for different levels of stimulation based on how far something is.  
    DH was nearly blind in one eye as a child and had to wear an eye patch for a year to rebuild the muscles in the bad eye.  This was all because they didn't catch it early enough, they probably could have corrected it quicker had they caught it sooner.  We take our kids for eye tests every year starting at about 6 months.  Isaac is going for his first Optometrist visit in mid June, so a little earlier than 6 months but I wanted to get both boys in together and I also wanted to get it done well in advance of DS1 going to JK in September in case he needs glasses.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try not to stress about it but I'll definitely bring it up to their pediatrician. It's not something I want to ignore and have it impact their development when something as simple as glasses could probably fix it.

imageimage

• I've been MIA for months, but thought I would respond to this one.  Leo definitely does this same exact thing.    When I hold him, he won't even look up at my face.  its sort of disconcerting, but he smiles and giggles and makes amazing eye contact when he is laying down or further away.  I never thought it was a vision issue, but now I wonder.   just wanted to tell you Leo does the same thing!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• tenfourtenfour member
    I'm in feb 14 but I just wanted to say my lo does the same thing. I'm really hoping its an over stimulation thing but I also will bring it up at my next appointment. Is your lo still doing this?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Any updates on your LOs and the issue of no eye contact when your holding them? My 4 1/2 month old does this and I am very concerned because he was making eye contact when being held And suddenly stopped. My pediatrician brushes it off. Just curious what you all found out.
  • Bumping this b/c I'm curious too. My LO does amazing eye contact on the floor, from the swing or in the crib  -- but doesn't so much when being held. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"