November 2013 Moms
Options

Post C-section back pain?

I'm now 5.5 months pp/post-c-section and I haven't fully recovered my strength yet. I'm on my feet for several hours at a time at my pt job and of course carry baby. At the end of a shift my back is usually killing me, but yesterday it "gave out" as I was putting baby in the car. The pain has not subsided. I tried 3 acetaminophen (no change), the Magic Wand (helped very temporarily). No position is comfortable. Standing feels like my weight is collapsing on it. Walking is difficult, and carry baby is like a journey to Mordor.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it really because of the c/s (which was brutal) or just from having been pregnant? If it's something truly bad, will the doctors even think to look?

I'm going to the doctor in an hour but I'm also worried about having a painkiller that will be nursing-friendly. I don't want to go back on Percocet.

Ugh. I'm in so much pain and am freaking out. My husband is in finals week and I don't think he'd appreciate the sudden neediness...

Re: Post C-section back pain?

• Options
    Thanks, I'll ask the doc if that's a possibility.
  • Options
    Nhull22Nhull22 member
    I've been seeing a chiropractor for the past 3 weeks for this, it's really helping!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pain is mostly upper back from carrying/breastfeeding, but I do still have minimal pain from the spinal. I started physical therapy about a month ago, and I am slowly starting to feel better. I would definitely look into it. 
    Married July 12, 2013
    Jack Donovan born November 9, 2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it lower back on one or both sides? It could be your SI joint. I have had issues with mine for years. I started seeing a chiropractor and it has gotten a lot better.

I would ice (not heat) your back, take some Motrin, and go see your primary care for some heavier duty pain meds. Then I would make an appointment with a chiropractor. It has made a world of difference for me.

• Options
    Yeah, saw the doc, it's the SI joint. Apparently one side of my pelvis rotated. They got me in to see a physical therapist about an hour later in the same building. I'm no longer in debilitating pain, just the mildly bad kind. :) Icing and on 800 mil of ibuprofen. Got some exercises, too. Thanks for the support! Good to know I'm not alone.

• Options
    SI joint pain is horrid, I totally can commiserate. I'm glad your doc was able to help you. Since it is skeletal, you might want to still look into a chiropractor for routine adjustments.

Unfortunately once your SI joint goes out, it is likely to do so again. Watch how you lift things, try not to twist and lift. I threw mine out getting baby out of the car as well, and we have since moved her car seat to the right passenger side. It is not as safe as in the middle, but we had to balance the decision against my back constantly going out, and not being able to lift and hold my baby.

Also, watch your breastfeeding supply. When my back went out, it was the beginning of the end for us with BF. I was in so much pain I couldn't let down, so we had to supplement, and my supply tanked.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!!

• Options
    Thanks. Yeah, the carseat is already on the side because we have a two-door.

Good to know about BF. Never would have thought about that. I have a few good positions that I can nurse in comfortably so hopefully it'll be okay. The pain is CONSIDERABLY better today than yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"