Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Airplane travel w/ 1 yr old & 5 yr old

My husband's sister is getting married and we will more than likely take an airplane vs drive.  I haven't ever flown with either one of them and I was needing some advice.  I have flown numerous times but just have never noticed or watched closely enough to see how family's with small children did it.  What would you do with either one of them for child resistants?  The 1 year old is a peanut...she is currenlty 11 months now but will be 1 year when flying in July.  But she is only around 17 lbs.  Would you take a carseat and put her rear facing?  That means I would have to buy a ticket for her to insure I get a seat I'm sure.  Or I see you are allowed to hold a child under age 2 on your lap.  What do people normally do?  Are most carseats FAA approved?  I have a SnugRide 32.  I will have to check manual if I need to go that route.  Obviously if she is a lap passenger she would not need to purchase a ticket.  I don't know what people normally do that fly with small children.  The 5 year old is also a bit of a runt :)  He is 34 lbs.  It is right the way I read it I technically wouldn't have to put him in a resistant on the airplane?  I was looking at it and saw you can bring on a forward facing convertible carseat or use CARES.  CARES seems easier and less bulky to carry.  I just couldn't imagine carrying everything plus our Britax Marathon converitble carseat thru the airplot.  But maybe that's what everyone does.  I just need some advice on what you would do or what people normally do.  Carseat 1 or both or go without.  Don't know if this changes anyone's thoughts but we have a direct flight and the flight duration would only be 1 hr 30 mins.  So not a long length and no connecting flights. 

Re: Airplane travel w/ 1 yr old & 5 yr old

• Options
    Technically you can hold a child under 2 but it's incredibly unsafe because the two most dangerous times during a flight are take off and landing and it's easier than people think for a baby to be dislodged from your arms.  We just aren't strong enough to hold them in a true emergency so she should have her own seat and your Snugride would be able to be used on the plane.  The CARES is a great option for older kids but it usually doesn't fit kids well until 40 pounds.  You could check out the FB page Car Seats for the Littles to ask techs their options.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I'd use both car seats in the plane and rearface the baby. You'd need to buy a ticket for her if course. They have little cart things you can use for the car seats.
    Like PP said car seats for the Littles is a fabulous resource and can help you figure it all out.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just think the carseat for the 1 year old will be much safer and plus...what if she falls asleep.  We are flying in early am and later pm.  So if all goes well, she might just sleep for the flight both ways as it's in her typically sleep time.  And I just don't see her sleeping while me holding her in my arms....she's not that type of baby.  Thank you for the idea on the FB page.  I will have to look that up. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"