Working Moms
Options

When to let a potential employer know you are pregnant?

So I'm applying for a full time, seasonal (summer) job as a receptionist/ vet tech assistant. I am due August 24 so I obviously noticeably pregnant. I really want to be considered for this job and just need something up until I give birth with potential to go back- I'm not looking for maternity leave or anything. Should I mention I am pregnant in my cover letter? I don't want to be discounted before the meet me, but I also don't want to shock everyone showing up to an interview with my bump? Any advice how to go about this?

Re: When to let a potential employer know you are pregnant?

• Options
    djm31012djm31012 member
    edited May 2014

ETA: went to edit and deleted my whole post. I dont think you need to say anything about being pregnant before a first interview. Maternity leave will naturally come up during that discussion I would think when they see how pregnant you are. That being said, I would not lead with the fact that you are willing to take nothing post the baby. Not sure if this is your first, but returning to work immediately after having a baby is not possible. THere are plenty of women who take 6 weeks and many of them will even tell you thats not enough. I took 14 weeks and could have used more. So that is just something I would seriously consider before interviewing for this position with a baby due so soon...

• Options
    Say nothing about being pregnant. If the job ends before the baby comes, why should it matter to them at all?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't imagine anyone would be shocked by a pregnant woman.

I can sort of understand your point, but if you are the most qualified for the job, they will hire you. 

Don't mention the pregnancy.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"