3rd Trimester

Does belly always 'drop'?

Do bellies always look noticeably lower before going into labor? People see me and say they can tell I have a ways to go (im 36.5 wks) bc I havent 'dropped' yet. Just wondering if this is always the case...

Re: Does belly always 'drop'?

• spacepotatoesspacepotatoes member
    edited May 2014
    I've read that FTMs tend to drop a couple of weeks before birth but that's not always the case. Some babies don't drop until it's go time. So, you might drop but you might not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, not all babies drop.  With my last pregnancy, people were quick to tell me that I had dropped when my little one was still breech with his head in my ribs at 37;)  
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I've never noticeably dropped with either pregnancy.
  • I noticeably dropped with my first LO around 37 weeks. I've read that FTMs usually drop a few weeks before going into labor, and that it's more common for STMs to drop later, closer to labor. But just like everything else, every pregnancy is different!
  • 24karat24karat member
    A lot depends on how you're carrying and baby's position. Sometimes it's noticeable, sometimes it isn't
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited May 2014
    I did not drop with my first or any baby until I was well in to labour. My youngest actually went up higher up as my due date grew closer. She was guided down by a nurse pushing and creative positions during my induction. She literally was not going to come out. (Induction was post due date for medical reasons) edit My first was 1 week early, my second was exactly on time and my youngest was just over a week past due.

I guess some of us don't drop early or even before labour on our first. (Or second or more)

Edit Bottom line, you can't really tell how soon you will go this way. I don't think you can really tell how soon you will go until you go. My body shows absolutely no signs until I am in labour. (No thinning cervix, no early dilation, no dropping, no show, nothing they tell you to look for)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I dropped last weekend. I am 33 weeks. Hubby actually noticed along with people at work. I could tell as well.

I know everyone is different.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I didn't drop until I was in labor, both times.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I didn't "drop" ever. I just held the baby up high, then had him. my second was a much lower pregnancy & I noticed no additional dropping and this time I feel like it's not as low as my second, but has perhaps dropped.

• NADA-HNADA-H member
    mine hasn't even got high yet and I'm 30 weeks, it looks small and low...not sure if I'm gonna have the whole rise and then drop thing happen
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • NADA-H said:
    mine hasn't even got high yet and I'm 30 weeks, it looks small and low...not sure if I'm gonna have the whole rise and then drop thing happen
    I have this happening now, sort of. LO was transverse for a long time and she was low. As she got herself into the head down position, my belly started looking fuller and higher. Now it changes every couple of days from sticking straight out to being low. She can't seem to make up her mind where to put her head!

But again, everyone's different. You never know!
  • It wasn't noticeable with either of my girls
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• hi i will be a FTM
    i dropped at about 37 weeks  

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
  • BKD1386BKD1386 member
    My little guy is head down ready to go, but I don't look like I've dropped at all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kd&cdkd&cd member
    My LO has been low & engaged since 28 weeks...I noticed the day before my OB confirmed this that my belly was noticeably lower.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• Nope mind didnt with either of my previous babys (one of each)
  • I haven't noticed a change in how I'm carrying FTM at 39w2d but LO has been supper low the entire time. Based on a growth scan last week I know he's head down and engaged but I don't look/feel different still as big and uncomfortable as ever.
  • ltmacsltmacs member
    The doctor told me 3 week ago that the baby's head is at -3 station...other people tell me that I still haven't "dropped " yet when they are looking at me.  Other people told me a month ago that I dropped"?  I also don't know if/ when I ever dropped with my last pregnancy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jenb_99jenb_99 member
    No, not all babies engage, aka "drop." And the outward physical appearance of the belly has less to do with the baby's position/station than with plain old gravity. The belly is heavy -- by the end of pregnancy it contains 1-2 lbs of placenta, 4+ lbs of amniotic fluid, 6+ lbs of baby, etc. -- and it can start to droop and hang a little lower even if the baby isn't engaged in the birth canal.

It's impossible for an untrained professional to tell whether your baby has engaged just by looking at you. Even doctors don't make that assumption based on outward appearance. It's why they rely on cervical checks.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• ljbreck said:

I haven't noticed a change in how I'm carrying FTM at 39w2d but LO has been supper low the entire time. Based on a growth scan last week I know he's head down and engaged but I don't look/feel different still as big and uncomfortable as ever.

I guess so super low I needed to add an extra p.
  • I am 38w and I don't feel like I have dropped at all. Everyone seems to have an opinion and most think I have when people comment, but I don't feel like I have at all. However, I am really short with a small torso and we are all built different so that could be it too. My baby has been head-down, but I don't get the feelings I read others get when dropping like being able to breathe easier. I do pee constantly and feel pelvic pressure and pain when I walk, but she feels really high to me and has found my ribs finally. 

I hear it can happen right before you have the baby so I am not too concerned, but it could be nice to know if there was a definitive way to tell. I'm so close at this point I just focus on meeting baby girl now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"