October 2014 Moms
Options

Disney World rides (I know, btdt…)

MagentaMouseMagentaMouse member
edited May 2014 in October 2014 Moms
So, we're taking our daughter to Disney World right before she turns 2 and I was looking at the lists for stuff pregnant women shouldn't ride. I'm a little confused - Kilimanjaro Safari is on the list! What?! It's basically a car ride! Anybody care to weigh in? (Also, if you think there are rides that aren't on the do-not-ride list, chime in!!!)

ETA source
Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Disney World rides (I know, btdt…)

• Options

Some schools of thought also say  you might want to avoid POTC and Mr Toad's Wild Ride, although I think the latter is only at DL, because of drops (POTC) and sharp turns (Mr Toad). Is Kilimanjaro Safari like the Autopia at DL? If so, it's because of rear-ending concerns. If you still want to ride it, just make sure the people behind you won't do it. I had DH in the car behind me on that ride.

I did a lot of research with this when I went to DL a few weeks ago, and the bottom line I found is to ask your doctor.

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    The Kilimanjaro ride is the safari one if I'm not mistaken. We were just there in October and it's like an open air mini-bus type thing. They probably don't suggest it because it's a really bumpy ride. I had to hold my 4 year old in place and there are no seatbelts or anything to hold you in place. If you do decide to go I would recommend sitting towards the front because the people in the back rows get the most jostled.
    BabyFetus TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

To piggy-back on my last reply, the only one I probably would not feel comfortable going on at all (depending on how far along) would be Rock'n'Roller Coaster, which goes upside down, if memory serves and kinda jerks you around a bit. I never went to Animal Kingdom (got sick and ran out of time). I don't remember how rough Space Mountain a DW is, but they recently redid the on at DL so it's a lot smoother. DH used to work for Disney, so the reasoning behind most of these is/was because of bumpiness.

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    **lurking**

We are at Disney now and went to Animal Kingdom a couple days ago. In big writing it says that pregnant women should not ride the safari. It really was pretty bumpy. We took our 7 month old on it after I googled if it was ok for babies, and I wish we hadn't. We had to hold tight to him the whole time and I don't think he loved it. I'd probably skip it if I were pg for my own peace of mind.
    TTC #1 since 6/08. Cycle #6 - BFP 12/22/08, EDD 9/3/09, DD 8/14/09 at 37w1d
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 since 6/11
    me=36 - low AMH, DH=38
    BFP #2 - 8/31/11, EDD 5/10/12, M/C 9/23/11
    BFP #3 - 3/4/12, EDD 11/14/12, CP 3/11/12
    BFP #4 - 5/9/12, EDD 1/19/13, CP 5/11/12
    BFP #5 - 8/22/12, EDD 5/5/13, CP 8/24/12
    IVF#1 - January 2013 - EPP/Antagonist - 7R, 3M, 2F, 3dt of 2 8-cell embies
    BFP #6 - 2/3/13, EDD 10/15/13, DS 9/18/13 at 36w1d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was on the safari ride in January I was like like 5 weeks pregnant its kind of bumpy. If I was huge at the time probably would have not rode.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, PP's are correct. The reason pregnant women are advised not to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris is because of all the bumps and sudden stops. I have heard of pregnant women riding it before and being just fine, I think it comes down to personal preference and how comfortable you feel. Still, if Disney advises against riding, I'd heed their advice.

Source: I used to be a WDW Cast Member (Rock n Rollercoaster, actually! :) )
  • Options
    The list looks pretty much like mine would... I love the safari but it is super bumpy. I wouldn't ride it pregnant.

I agree with pp, seven dwarfs mine opens soon and from what I've seen that wouldn't be a great one either.

But honestly, if your daughter is not 2 yet, she's going to love the stuff you can do. Avoiding these few shouldn't ruin your trip at all.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not worried about not having fun ;). I just love the safari...but I'm going to skip it. Thanks for all your input!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    manateelizmanateeliz member
    edited May 2014
    We went to Disney at Christmas with my then 18 month old, and I agree that anything your 2yo can ride on and enjoy should be fine for you, and there was tons for us to do with DS. We had a blast! Have fun!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"