High-Risk Pregnancy

Progesterone suppository issue

Anybody else have burning with Prometrium?  I've been taking a suppository for three months now but for the first two months it was the generic progesterone capsule prescribed by my MFM (paid for out-of-pocket due to insurance not kicking in yet) and it didn't burn at all.  But when my regualr OB wrote the rX again she specified brand name only as my insurance only covers brand name for this medication.  When I called to ask if I could get the rX for the generic instead I learned about the insurance issue and was then told by the nurse practitioner that I should just take it orally instead since the generic brand is $110/mo, but the MFM told me specifically that I needed to take it vaginally.  Do any of you ladies take it orally instead?  

In the meantime, I have NO SUPPOSITORIES LEFT, and can't get ahold of an actual Dr to sort this out and answer my questions and write another rX, which is irritating the crap out of me, but that's another issue in itself....  
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Progesterone suppository issue

• amwenzamwenz member
    edited May 2014
    After just googling quickly you might be able to try crinone gel instead. Other than opening the packages I haven't had trouble with it since 21 weeks.
    Started ttc may 2012 Me:32. Dh:31 SA- 4% morphology Fsh:9.1 possibly not always ovulating Hysteroscopy/lLap 7/13 resulted in polyp removal, uterine septum, and mild endo stage 1 removed 10/13 IVF #1 successful 
    BabyFruit Ticker}

• You need to take it how your MFM specifies not the nurse. I take it vaginally. You want the generic because the name brand burns, is that correct? At my pharmacy, if I request generic I can get it even if the Rx has a brand name on it. Did the pharmacist refuse?

At first I went to a compounding pharmacy where they made the progesterone suppository themselves. Now that I am in the hospital I have to use this tiny little round pill. I have had no burning with either. Have you contacted the pharmacist to see if the burning is a side effect of the pill? You might have a UTI, yeast infection, or BV instead. I would make sure that you don't have something else. I would probably just go in for an office visit to get that confirmed and while there ask for the new prescription.

image    image    

• Loading the player...
  • check with the pharmacist or doctor to see if the brand drug has a different compound in the outer capsule.  it could be an allergy.  also, like others said, use as directed and make sure you do not have an infection :)
  • I take progesterone injections ... is there a reason why you cant just get the shots instead?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"