C-sections

Help a FTM out! (c-section vs. induction)

So Its beginning to look like I am going to have to make a big decision. I am currently 3 days overdue, and so my doctors are starting to think about induction/c-section in the next couple weeks. As of right now baby is looking good so they are willing to wait a little longer but there is another problem. 

They are saying that I am not a good candidate for an induction. My bishop score is a zero. I no dilation, effacement, nothing and baby is still high. So if I went with the induction the success rate is very low. 

I am wondering if I should try for the induction or just schedule a c-section and avoid the high likelihood of having and emergency section after countless hours of induction.

Sorry for the novel! Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Together Since 9/14/2008 
Married since 08/19/2011 
Audrey born 5/9/2014 

A14 August Siggy Challange: This time Last Year

Me DH
image image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help a FTM out! (c-section vs. induction)

• I was induced with both my kids. With DD I was in labor for over 24 hours. During this time her heart rate kept dropping and delivery almost turned into an emergency c section. Pitocin was turned off and they let the delivery progress. DD was born vaginally and had her cord wrapped around some partof her.

This time labor progressed a lot faster then anybody thought it would. DS's heart rate kept dropping as well, but worse then DD. We were rushed into an emergency c section and all I remember from then until I woke up is the lights in the OR.

If they say you aren't a good candidate for an induction the c section might be better for you and baby.
  • flclflcl member
    I'm a little surprised that you got a choice with induction vs c/s.  I'm also a FTM and b/c of that, my doctors wanted me to try everything before going to a c/s.  My Dr explained that as long as everything is looking good, you can go about 2 weeks past the due date.  They had me go a week past my date (which fell on a Mon) and scheduled my induction for Wed.  Like you, baby was high, no dilation, nothing.  However, that doesn't really mean much since women can be dilated for weeks, taking forever to get going or women can have no signs and things can happen almost immediately.

In my case, I went into labor late Sunday night, was at 3cm when I checked into the hospital, progressed to 5 in a couple of hours and then 8 in a couple of more hours.  Then, I got stuck there for about 18 hours.  After the Dr breaking the bag, giving me pitocin, they determined LO was too big and I ended up having an emergency c/s. While a planned c/s is "better" than an emergency one, it is still major surgery and everyone recovers from it differently.

It's really up to you and what you want your birth experience to be.  FWIW, as tough as it was to be in labor for so long, I was glad that we exhausted all options before going the surgery route.  In the end, having my LO out healthy and safe was all that mattered.  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • megs68megs68 member
    I had a failed induction that led to a c/s and then followed that up by two failed VbACs that end in c/s, so I've had three total. I had relatively good experiences with my surgery and recovery but I would never opt Immediately for a surgery without trying every other possibility first. Yes, if your body isn't favorable th odds are not in your favor. But you could have success and avoid a major surgery. And that is what this is. You will have a scar forever. You will have a long recovery time and you may never have the abdominal muscles you had before. There are a lot of factors for why I wouldn't advise a c section being the first option of delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just because your bishops score is zero today doesn't mean your body won't be favorable for an induction a few days from now. I was the same as you at a Wed appointment and I went into labor over the weekend. If it were me, I would probably try to schedule the induction as far out as the dr would let me to give my body the chance to go into labor or be better prepared for induction. The c would be a last resort. My c wasn't bad at all, but it is major surgery and for me, was hard to deal with healing at the same time as having a new baby to take care of. It also limits the number of children you can have because the risks of having a cesarean increase with each subsequent surgery, and it's not always easy to find a vbac supportive doctor. I didn't know that before my c and I wish I had. With whatever you decide, best wishes!
  • I was induced and had a c-section after 18 hours of labor. Everything was favorable for induction but I was also told labor could be interesting which translates to you are more likely to need a c-section. I never got past 7cm and my doctor let me go as long as possible because he knew I didn't want surgery. I am glad we tried but will also go straight to a c-section next time around. It's simply an anatomy thing - big baby and narrow space. I would do it again if there was a possibility of not needing c-section. Surgery is a last resort and the recovery sucks while trying to take care of a newborn as a FTM.
  • Ardmhs83Ardmhs83 member
    edited May 2014
    I would wait longer, you aren't really considered late until you are past 42 weeks pregnant.  I wouldn't just go for the c/s.  If you know that their is a possibility you could deliver vaginally...wait it out! If you are't dilated or anything yet, baby isn't ready.  I also wouldn't induce before then either, unless their is a major problem.  Pit increases your odds of a c/s.  Try to let you body do this, it knows how. :-)   

It really amazes me that doctors claim you are late when you are barely past 40 weeks and want to induce or section.  It is for their own schedule, IMHO.

Good luck!

Lots of good info in this article
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• wildflower75wildflower75 member
    edited May 2014
    My water broke, I went to the hospital, I was only at 1 cm, they gave me cervidil, after about 5 hours or so the baby's heart rate started dropping so they took it out and then they started the pitocin and that brought on very strong contractions (I also wanted a totally natural childbirth) and after about 3-4 hours of that I was still at 1 cm. The nurse encouraged me that sometimes an epidural helps progress so I got it as a last resort to see if I would dilate more in order to have the baby naturally... to no avail. So since it had been over 24hrs since my water broke and I was still at 1, they did the C Section and everything was fine.

I say all that to say... just go with the C-section UNLESS you want to go through hours of trying in order to say "at least you tried..."
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• JSS1002JSS1002 member
    I had the situation you described (sort of):  I was induced a week early due to developing pre-eclampsia.  I had a great labor, dilated well, progressed well... labored for about 12 hours, then pushed for 3... he just wasn't coming.  Stuck, narrow pelvic bones, big head, and his head / neck was sort of at an angle so forceps / vacuum wouldn't work.  I ended up having an emergency c/s.

There were pros and cons to this, but I guess I've always felt in retrospect like I got the best of both worlds. I enjoyed the experience of laboring with my husband at my side; I experienced the power of pushing... and then had a c/s that went well and I had a great recovery.  I'm not a candidate for a VBAC so going into my next delivery in September, it will be a routine c/s... I'm glad that I've had the experience of laboring and pushing.  

Maybe that sounds crazy, but to me it was a part of the process that I wanted to experience... but I didn't have to tear. ;-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"