December 2011 Moms
Options

*vent* Chasing the dog

DS1 has a new favorite pastime: chasing the dog around the kitchen island and/or the dining room table. It drives me batty because he usually does it when I'm working in the kitchen and so they are under foot. It also drives the dog batty and she whimpers and tries to hide behind my legs. She's an 18 pound pug, and while I'm not too worried about her becoming aggressive towards him (although I know that anything is possible when you are dealing with animals) I am worried that DS1 thinks this is an acceptable way to behave around dogs. Separating them is not really an option (pugs are people dogs and she gets very upset if she's not in the room with her people - it would be like punishing the dog), and thus far any behavior modifications that I've tried have failed miserably. He knows he isn't supposed to do it and will recite "no chasing Molly" when asked, but he continues to do so every chance he gets. I'm not sure what to do here so if any of you fine ladies have any advice I would greatly appreciate some.
OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: *vent* Chasing the dog

• Options
    Jen4033Jen4033 member

no advice, but I feel your pain. Our Lola is a bigger 45-50 lbs & whenever my sister's kids are over, they are chasing her all over. I typically try to enforce a 'no dog in the kitchen' rule normally, but it goes out the window when people are over. (Not that she is a great listener in the first place.) She tries to hide under me too & I do what I can to try & 'save' her. I even lead her into our room where she can lay down in peace, but one kid or another is always opening the door & letting her out. Not sure why it bothers me so much, but the sound of her nails on the kitchen floor is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears! I like to try & keep a minimal fur amount & I hate when she begs at us when eating dinner. (esp when we have company over.)

Sorry I don't think I am any help!

My 2 December boys

• Options
    Time outs work for us. Like you said DD will recite "no hitting the dog, no pushing brother"etc but it doesn't stop the behavior. One time out usually gets us through the rest of the day. Of course she starts all over the next day.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jesselayne8: We've been doing time outs, and sometimes he'll leave the dog alone for a while. Other times he's right back after her. Maybe my expectations are too high. As my husband says, he's two, he's acting like a 2 year old and I should expect as much.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Or he just being a 2yr old boy?? My 11 month boy is making me insane. He won't stay out of the china cabinet, off the stairs, pinches the dog, climbs on top of tables, rearranges furniture, pulls his sisters hair. You can't discipline an 11 month old right?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"