Parenting
Options

What age did you take the sippy cup away from your LO - PR

DD is 3 1/2.  She still uses a sippy cup most of the time, but I am letting her use a cup more and more.  I use the sippy more for convenience but am thinking she might be too old to still use a sippy. This is a post and run.  Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What age did you take the sippy cup away from your LO - PR

• Options
    DD will be 4 in June and still gets one. She knows how to use a regular cup, but between her being clumsy and DS stealing her cup, she gets a lid.
    DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
  • Options
    We've been using the straw cups for quite some time.  I prefer the take and toss ones, because they're easiest to clean and transition well to a regular cup.  If your LO isn't ready to use a regular cup yet, just transition to a straw for a bit but practice here and there with just a little bit of water in a regular cup. My DD is 2.5.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS does 1 and 3 on that list daily, but just with water. Do we think this is ok? 

Anyway, he uses a real cup at daycare, but I don't have much desire to clean up messes all the time so sippies it is! He's only 2.5, but I don't see us ditching the sippies anytime soon. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    Mine still uses one most times. She spills a lot. She knows how to drink out of a regular cup and does at her babysitters house. We do like the straw cups too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We use straw cups, not sippy, but are still using them regularly.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Both of mine were using regular cups by 2, but that credit goes to day care like @piffle42 says.  DS now refuses to use a sippy cup at all because he thinks he's as big as his sister.  He does spill, but he almost never drinks anything other than water so it's NBD.  The open cups stay in the kitchen and they can have water in a straw cup or Thermos bottle elsewhere in the house.  DS also gets his cup taken away at the table if he starts dumping it in his plate or filling it with food, which he likes to do when he's finished eating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Truth. We never owned a sippy cup. They went to cup between 10-11 months old. I thought I would give it a try and they took to it pretty quick.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS1 got rid of a sippy around 17 months. Sometimes we use a straw cup or a water bottle.

• Options
    Sippy cups have never been a issue w us.

DS1 2yrs old

DS2 2yrs old

DD at the moment she is still on her sippy cup. And just turned 2 this month.

• Options
    We took it away about a month ago, he had just turned 3. I don't know why we waited so long because he did know how to use an open cup since about 2. But now he gets open cups of milk at the table and a water bottle on the go.

• Options
    DS is 3 1/2 and still uses a sippy. He also drinks from a regular cup and cups with straws. I just prefer the sippy because I have light carpet throughout the house (which I hate) and he spills the regular cups.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/0e004fc06de8560c7b08afd8da184426/tumblr_inline_mxveimFLAn1s4d130.gif
                                                                             Me: 28  H: 28  DS: 4
    [TTC Since October 2013] [ BFP 1.27.15  EDD: 10.8.15]
    I WEAR ORANGE FOR MY GRANDMA- SUPPORT KIDNEY CANCER AWARENESS
    Trinitrotoluene: "My ears have been deflowered
....my mouth just hasn't been!"

BabyFruit Ticker 
                                        BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Snapdragon750Snapdragon750 member
    edited May 2014
    I took it away around 2 but ended up giving it back when her younger sister was old enough to use one and DD#1 cried for hers.  She hates spilling even little drops, so this was just not a battle I was willing to fight.  I also noticed that the fear of spilling was causing her to drink much less when I gave her a regular cup.  DD will be 3 in June and is still using them.  Now that I think about it, when I was a kid I still used a sippy sometimes for funsies when I was much older.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    We switched to an open cup for all snacks/meal times before he was 2. He has a water bottle/straw cup for the car, etc.
  • Options
    Probably by 2.5 we were using a cup more than a sippy cup. She uses regular cups at meals and snacks at the table all of the time now at 3. We still use sippies in the car and on the bedside table (water only at night). 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS will be 4 in August and he still uses one.  He can drink out of a regular cup, but most of the time I give him a sippy because he is less likely to make a mess.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"