October 2014 Moms

Is it normal?

I'm 16W 4D and I still do not even look remotely close to being pregnant. I look like I have a beer gut, to be honest. With my first pregnancy I was already in maternity clothes around this time. Anyone else still not showing? It kind of scares me. I have a doppler and check on the babes from time to time and it's always a strong heartbeat. But on top of not showing, I still don't feel movement? Should I be worried?

Re: Is it normal?

• Totally normal. Last time you were likely more bloated and didn't have a "real" bump yet. If you're concerned, ask your doctor at your next appt. :)
    imageimage
  • Nope, you're fine.  Depending on your body composition prior to pregnancy, the strength of your abdominal muscles, and the position of the placenta, you may not look pregnant until closer to 20 weeks (or even later!).  Every body is different, and it will help to not compare your pregnancy (or child) to the experience of others.  It will only cause stress.

As for the movement, I don't feel anything, either.  This is my second pregnancy, and I lay in bed for 20+ minutes every morning and evening trying to feel the baby- and I got nothing.  I can't distinguish flutters from gas from muscle twitches.  I couldn't figure it out last time, either.  I'm not expecting to feel anything until more like 24 weeks, which is when I had my first kick with DS.

If you are picking up the heartbeat and your OB/MW has not expressed any concerns about your progression or risk factors, odds are entirely in your favor that everything is going perfectly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. That does make a lot of sense. I went on a huge fitness/working out journey like 9 months before I got pregnant and I had my 6 pack back. I didn't even think about my abdominal muscles being stronger. Thanks again for your response. It made me feel so much better.

Nope, you're fine.  Depending on your body composition prior to pregnancy, the strength of your abdominal muscles, and the position of the placenta, you may not look pregnant until closer to 20 weeks (or even later!).  Every body is different, and it will help to not compare your pregnancy (or child) to the experience of others.  It will only cause stress.

As for the movement, I don't feel anything, either.  This is my second pregnancy, and I lay in bed for 20+ minutes every morning and evening trying to feel the baby- and I got nothing.  I can't distinguish flutters from gas from muscle twitches.  I couldn't figure it out last time, either.  I'm not expecting to feel anything until more like 24 weeks, which is when I had my first kick with DS.

If you are picking up the heartbeat and your OB/MW has not expressed any concerns about your progression or risk factors, odds are entirely in your favor that everything is going perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"