Baby Names

Team Green- second guessing our boy name

Lynnja616Lynnja616 member
edited April 2014 in Baby Names
Our boy name has been James Alan, but I am really, REALLY trying to avoid Jim/Jimmy and I'm starting to think it's inevitable. Which option do you like best? Alan and James are both family names. TIA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

Team Green- second guessing our boy name 174 votes

Alan James
20% 35 votes
Jack Alan
16% 28 votes
James Alan
63% 111 votes

Re: Team Green- second guessing our boy name

• James is by far my favorite and I don't see it automatically going to Jimmy.

• I know a James that hates Jim/Jimmy.... usually goes by Jamie or James
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Of all the James' I know only one goes by Jim/ Jimmy.  I think of that as sort of a dated NN anyway.  I think you are fine-- James Alan is a great name!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• James Alan sounds really nice, so just be firm with people that his names is James, not Jimmy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm with others, Jim/Jimmy is not inevitable. I've never known a James to go by a nickname.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • My husband's name is James and he is James. If people call him Jim, he just corrects them. Jim/Jimmy is not inevitable.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • James is on our list for a boy. We will probably call him Jamie.

• Thanks to all for your feedback!  I am feeling much better about it.  I have a crazy headstrong MIL who honestly I worry the most about, since FIL's name is James and he goes by Jim- I feel like she may call him Jim/Jimmy just to spite me.  Yeah, she's a real peach.  Aren't all MILs?

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• FWIW, I know two different guys named James who were never called Jim/Jimmy growing up.  In fact, if my DH didn't want to avoid naming after the one of them that he knows, I would really like to have that name on the list!

BabyFetus Ticker

• NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2014
    CrystalRL said:

Funny story my best friend is names Melissa. Her dad hated the nickname Missy. She had a few friends that chose to call her Missy in high school. If they called their house asking for Missy her dad would say she doesn't live here and hang up. :)

Growing up I had a friend named Angela that liked to go by Angie when we were kids.  If someone called for Angie, her mom would hang up on her. 

DH's grandma can be really weird about his name too.  His name is Joseph, but he tends to introduce himself informally as Joe. She gets wound up if people call him that.  He's a grown adult.  Even his own mother, the woman who named him, accepts that people may call him Joe if he introduces himself that way.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My brother is a James - he's never gone by Jim/Jimmy. 
    In fact when he was about 8 or so my grandpa called him "Jim" and my brother looked at him and said "My name is James". So even if you MIL is bitch about it, doesn't mean it'll stick.
  • I love James Alan and voted for that, but I do know many James' who got nicknamed despite their parents' best efforts. Two are Jamie and three are Jim. I do have a cousin who is just James though. But if Jim would drive you bonkers, maybe one of your other picks? 

I love Allan, but feel like Alan looks strange to me (are they pronounced the same?)? I get it that it's a family name though and do think that's important. 
  • My brother is a James and has never gone by Jim or Jimmy. When he was little he went by Jamie, but when he hit middle school he changed it to James on his own. The family still calls him Jamie, but his friends and co workers call him James. I would stick with James and call him what you like.

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• I like James Alan, but I could see if MIL was like that you would hesitate. I didn't go with Anna because I could see some of the ILs calling her Annie. I went with Isla and some are calling her Eily :S

My vote would be John Alan nn Jack, but I if you like James best I would go with that and correct people.  

• I think James Alan is a great choice. He'll only be called Jim/Jimmy if he wants to. I know a James with no NN.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• James. Just push the James. People will follow suit.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I voted for James Alan.

My BIL is a James that has gone by James his whole life. He doesn't have to correct people often, usually just older people. But when he does, he just politely says "it's James" and they nearly always catch on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also don't know any James' that go by Jim or Jimmy.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I love James. Hate Jim/Jimmy. Love Jamie.

I would use it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"