April 2014 Moms
Options

BF moms + Pumping

For those of you who are mainly BF but pumping to begin to build a freezer stash, just curious how much you're pumping in a day. I'm getting, on average, 5 ounces a day through 2-3 pumping sessions. I have no idea if that's a lot, a little, average?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BF moms + Pumping

• Options
    that sounds great!  If you're BF full time (vs skipping feedings) pumping 1/2-1 ounce is typical, so sounds like you're getting a little more than that.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I get about 6 oz a day. Sometimes I'll get 8 on good days.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Question - when did you start pumping? My LC recommended waiting about 4 wks.
  • Options
    I'm 4w3d and hoping to start tomorrow- depends on how the overnight goes. With dd1 that's when I started too. Just pumped once a day and eventually was able to get 4-6oz, but I had a slight oversupply.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I think waiting until your supply regulates is smart to avoid oversupply issues, and four weeks is a good rule if thumb for that.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    lcr23lcr23 member
    When do you usually pump? Right after a feeding? I'm planning on starting to pump at 4 weeks.
  • Options
    lcr23 said:

When do you usually pump? Right after a feeding? I'm planning on starting to pump at 4 weeks.

I did about an hour after the first daytime session- that's when I was fullest and I knew I still had an hour until she'd eat again. Hoping to do the same this time.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I'm EBF and pump once a day after the first morning feeding and get about 2 oz total. It's not much but once a day works for us and it's enough to freeze a bag every 2 days.
  • Options
    I pump once a day just to put some in the freezer. I try to pump between 7am and 9am because that's when I have the most success right now and I get about 3 ounces pumping one side only. LO eats every 3 hours so I try to time the pumping session one hour after a regular feeding. I only pump for about 10 mins.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I need to start! I don't know how to find the time though, with two! With my son I only ever got about 3oz per daily session,
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    MalyJMalyJ member
    I pump about an hour after his 7am ish feeding, sometimes an hour after his 2pm ish feeding, and I cluster feed from 7-10 so after his last cluster feed I empty myself as best I can. Especially since he sleeps for 4 hour stretches at night on average.

I started pumping just a little at about a week and a half to relieve myself from the awful engorgement. Once that stopped and I felt like my supply was pretty regulated (about 2 weeks) I started pumping to stash, not just relieve. It worked with DS1 so I thought I'd try again...just couldn't remember how much was normal to produce. Thanks!

• Options
    I'm getting about 5oz per day as well. I pump after my first feed in the am when I'm the most full and last feed at night. He sleeps usually one 5hr stretch after going to bed. Chase is 3 weeks 6 days, & EBF:)
  • Options
    Until now I've only pumped when I had to relieve engorgement.  I'm planning on regular pumping starting tomorrow (3.5 weeks) since I need a decent stash by early June.  I'll pump in the morning most likely, I don't want to end up with too much milk in the freezer.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sometimes a manual pump makes it easier to sneak in a pumping session, too, vs dragging out and setting up an electric pump. Some women respond better to them, too!
  • Options
    What are you all pumping into & freezing your BM in? Are you pumping into bags & storing like that or are you pumping into bottles & then transferring to bags? Just curious what system is preferred for this. I currently just have a few medela bottles so we try to use the pumped milk by 4 days , but I would love to start freezing some for layer, just not sure how to do it. Hope it's ok to add this question to the thread.
  • Options
    I pumped into bottles and would store it in there until it was ready to go in the freezer, at which point it would go in honeysuckle brand bags.
  • Options
    I just started, but I get about an ounce and a half per session and do it once per day. I'll up the times per day gradually, I just wanted to start a supply.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"