Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Best way to clean eye gunk?

My LO's tear duct is all gunked up, and today she was having trouble opening it.  I managed to get it out with a cotton ball and some water but I was wondering if there was a better method?  It took quite a while and she was not a happy camper.  TIA!

Re: Best way to clean eye gunk?

• Options
    jessig13826jessig13826 member
    edited April 2014

Cotton ball and water worked fine for my son when he was a baby. Just make sure is nothing more than normal eye gunk and they're not infected. Obviously I'm not Dr. but just saying. 

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    my DD has same thing. dr. said as long as whites in eye are still white then its not more serious like pink eye. If the whites turn red that is a problem.

**Ready for Baby!**
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok, thank you!  I'll watch her eye and just use cotton balls.  
  • Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. 

I had to do it with both kids. My DD ended up having an eye infection though. Her eyelids were red and both of her eyes were goopy (the optometrist said that a clogged tear duct normally only happens to one eye, not both at the same time). 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Gently massage the inner corner of the eyes with a warm wet washcloth. Both of my first 2 babies had clogged ducts, but they never got infected, and cleared up on their own eventually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"