Pregnant after 35
Options

Non-Stress Test

Hi!  I lurk here often, but rarely post.  I'm 38 y/o and 34 weeks pregnant with boy #2.  My doctor just told me that starting next week, I was going to have to go to the hospital for non-stress testing.  She said it is pretty standard testing after 35, however, I was 36 with my last and didn't have to undergo this testing.  So has anyone else had routine non-stress testing?  Is it a one time test or do I have to go weekly (which is how she made it seem) till I go into labor?

Re: Non-Stress Test

• Options
    I'm not quite clear on the difference between NSTs and BPPs (biophysical profiles) but I was sent for weekly BPPs which I think were supposed to start at 32 weeks but I think it ended up being 34 or 35 when we started.  Before that growth scans every  4 weeks from the 20 week A/S.  I was told this was the recommendation for moms 39 and older at delivery date, though, not just the "regular" 35+ AMA.  But that's just the threshold at this practice.

Scheduling was a pain esp. at first but otherwise it's nice to have the reassurance that everything is going OK.  You can decline any testing, though, or get it once an then ask to wait 2 (or 3) weeks as long as results for first one are OK, and/or ask for more explanation of why they want to do the NSTs this time ... whatever you are most comfortable with!  
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    @springbeduk2 thanks for the info.  I hadn't even considered that I could decline but I'm unlikely to do so.  If my doctor feels it's necessary, I will take her advice.  My concern was scheduling, as I'm still working and I'm sure they will only do this testing during work hours.  Oh well guess I will have to make it work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    about scheduling - if there are multiple places in your area that can do the testing (and that your insurance will work with), check into their hours.  Some places start as early as 7, definitely 7:30 AM which might help.  Where I live the latest appointments were 4 PM which was stinky but maybe some places have later hours.  Also BPPs are often shorter/quicker than growth scans and than the A/S (20ish week scan) was which might help you out if an NST is similar.  They might schedule a longer time just in case but if your baby cooperates and does what they need to see him/her do in the scan then you can be out of there pretty quickly.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    I had the NST the last few weeks of pregnancy. It was every week normally right before my weekly appointment. Just make sure you drink some juice before you appointment because they want the baby active. I didn't realize that this was a weekly test so DS was sleeping during the test and I was there for over an hour. They eventually gave me some orange soda to get DS up and moving.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me I would need to go to the hospital for the testing. Which isn't terribly inconvenient but is an hour round trip and will almost certainly interfere with my work schedule. I will ask her if I have any other options as far as places that I can go.

@DTNZ4Ever‌ now I'm craving orange soda!
  • Options
    I had NST every week starting at 36 weeks. They just want to make sure baby isn't under any stress. They also told me I was having contractions that i couldn't feel. I actually enjoyed these appt. I looked forward to hearing the heartbeat and knowing everything was ok.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @stephzrn I'm sure I will enjoy the appointment's too, especially the peace of mind.  I'm just a little stressed about working out the logistics of going without interfering with my job.  Maybe this is the push I need to apply for disability and take a little time before #2 makes his appearance.

Thanks all for the info and reassurance.
  • Options
    stina76stina76 member
    Mine started at 36 weeks (38 weeks now) they just schedule it 30 min before my weekly appt. Yes, drink something sweet before you go, if baby is lazy, it will take longer. I'm still working too so I understand about the extra time, but totally worth it!
  • Options
    @Lilki How scary!  Just another reminder that I need to get my ass in gear.  I was so much more prepared for #1 and haven't done a thing for #2's arrival.  I know it will all work out in the end but being a little more proactive can't hurt.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"