Babies: 0 - 3 Months

FTM-I've got a few "is this normal" questions..

1) LO is two weeks old.. he makes a lot of loud weird noises when he sleeps mainly almost like snorting/snoring/heavy breathing..

2) I already feel so protective of him and who comes to visit/hold him. There's a birthday party this weekend for a friends 4 yr old - and everyone wants to meet him but I really am not ready.. too many kids/people.. (is that silly or all up to me when I want to take him out?)  when did you take your newborn out for the first time to the store or around a lot of people?

3) That being said...I'm nervous about driving with him and taking him anywhere! I hope this passes because soon enough I'll be tired of being cooped up in the house.  I guess I can just start off slow-- get used to the car seat and take him short distances..  I know it sounds silly but it's all brand new to me.

anyone else experience these feelings?

Re: FTM-I've got a few "is this normal" questions..

• The grunting is totally normal :)  I don't know that a party for a 4 year old is where I'd want to take a 2 week old.  You can't live in a bubble but it's bad enough keeping your own germy toddler from getting the baby sick (if/when you have another lol) but a group of them is ugh :)

Being nervous about driving with them does get better.  The best thing you can do is make 100% certain your car seat is installed correctly and that you know how to properly secure him in it (i.e. straps below shoulders, harness passes the pinch test, chest clip is even with the armpits and you have added no after market products to your car seat, as well as knowing your seat moves less than 1 inch at the belt path and is properly reclined).  Those things will make quite sure he's as safe as possible.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• flclflcl member
    elmoali said:
    The grunting is totally normal :)  I don't know that a party for a 4 year old is where I'd want to take a 2 week old.  You can't live in a bubble but it's bad enough keeping your own germy toddler from getting the baby sick (if/when you have another lol) but a group of them is ugh :)

Being nervous about driving with them does get better.  The best thing you can do is make 100% certain your car seat is installed correctly and that you know how to properly secure him in it (i.e. straps below shoulders, harness passes the pinch test, chest clip is even with the armpits and you have added no after market products to your car seat, as well as knowing your seat moves less than 1 inch at the belt path and is properly reclined).  Those things will make quite sure he's as safe as possible.
    This exactly.  Newborns are so noisy!  My LO barely has the opportunity to wake me up with his cries because I'm already up from his snorting and grunting!  As for party, I would be hesitant to go but I've got FTM anxieties too.  If you have to go, can you wear your LO or keep him in his carseat carrier to prevent him from being passed around?  PP's advice on driving is very helpful.  Congrats on your LO and GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the babywearing if you must go out and about to crowded places.  People are more inclined to stay out of baby's face that way.  
  • CHS2005CHS2005 member
    For me personally, I would skip the party if you can. Too many germs. --We do get out, but places like the grocery store or lunch- places where I can keep him in the car seat or wear him without many people getting close .
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    1.  Newborns are noisy sleepers, especially right when they fall asleep and as they are starting to wake up.   As long as he's breathing okay, not changing color, or doesn't look or sound like he's in pain, then you're fine.  If he's congested, you might try having him sleep on an incline so stuff can drain.

2.We started taking him "out" to do errands and stuff right from the beginning.  I think his first trip to the grocery store was when he was maybe 4 days old, and he's been at least once a week since then.  Last week we took him to my husband's old classroom (he did his student teaching in a 5th grade classroom this spring), and EVERYONE wanted to hold him and touch him, including teachers AND students.   As long as everyone washed their hands first, I just let it go.  Honestly I wasn't jazzed about the kids touching him, but he did just fine, and nobody got sick.  He did get a little over-stimulated though, which made him fussy the rest of the day.    Having said that, I'm not sure I'd do a 4-year-old's b-day party...though I suppose you could implement a very strict "look but don't touch" rule.   

3.  Definitely try to get out.  Try to take someone else with you the first few times (your husband, a friend, your mom or sister) so you don't have to manage the carseat, stroller, etc all by yourself.  It takes a few times to figure out how to do it efficiently.   If you can't take anyone with you, then just do a short trip, like a drive around the block, or for a really quick trip to the store.   Driving with a crying baby can be stressful, so don't be afraid to pull over if you're too distracted.  Even if you don't go anywhere in the car, at least try to get out for a few short walks -- to the end of the street, or even just hang out in the yard if it's nice out.    
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wear all the babies! :) that way you can keep lo close and honestly lo will fall asleep! That way you don't have to play "pass the baby around" and that way they can look but not touch. :) if you're new to baby wearing i suggest a ring sling! Maya wrap is my favorite or you can get one for around 40 on etsy.com willow tree wraps are great and inexpensive.
  • 1. Weird noises are totally normal! I know this because my LO makes noises that I thought merited a call to my pediatrician's nurse line! Haha you are not alone in the newborn worry boat. The concern would be if they are grunting with every breath, turning blue in color, or maintaining an increased resp rate (over 60) for more than a few seconds (babies are irregular breathers and will have short pauses or periods of quick breathing)

2. I am with you on skipping the party of four year olds! Furthermore, don't feel guilty for being protective of your baby!! I make all family wash their hands before touching my little guy and don't let people walk with him in their arms. I get that I'm protective but I am pulling the mom card and what I say for my baby goes! Haha Roar I did take him to get coffee the other day but my family sat in a corner so that he wasn't near a crowd.

3. Driving is rough but you can always go to the local fire dept and have them check your care seat! A massive number of car seats are installed wrong. This way you at least have piece of mind that your LO is protected!
  • ^Actually, most fire and police departments don't have certified technicians on staff and sadly, because the ones who are typically do it because they're "supposed to" vs having a passion, they aren't always up to date on the recommendations and rules.  You can check this site for techs in your area https://cert.safekids.org/
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"