October 2014 Moms
Options

GTKY: Worst Gift Ever Recieved

So now that I got the warm and fuzzies thinking about all the good gifts I have received, lets talk about the worst gift!

Re: GTKY: Worst Gift Ever Recieved

• Options
    I got a plastic stool from like kmart once from my parents. Idk what they were thinking lol. Was pretty disappointed about that one
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine was a random "Easter Gift" from my step-mom.  It was some dirty Doc Martins. 

1.  Not my style at all in the time that she knew me (maybe if we had crossed paths while I was a freshmen in high school but not as a working professional 22 y/o)

2. they had mud on them, she had worn them to some party and then put them in a nice gidt bag and gave them to me.  WTF!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is that one year my aunt, who's older and works for a consignment shop, got me one of those popcorn shirts. The ones that are tiny but stretch out when you put it on. It was pink, and it looked like it would fit a doll (before it was stretched out). What was worse was that my niece, who was probably 7 at the time, got one too in another shade of pink. She asked if we could trade, because they were the same size. I just gave her mine when we left my aunts house. She has good intentions, but I think that year I was at least 21 and my older siblings & their spouses else got bottles of liquor... and I got a kids shirt. lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We got a Galileo thermometer as a wedding gift. We think it was a regift but who knows. Believe it or not we already had a Galileo thermometer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Oooh I love this!
    My Dad's mother, who always means well and is so sweet.. always gives the worst gifts ever. She shops at thrift stores and in K-Mart's clearance. Now they have plenty of money, but she's thrifty. When I was a child, it was always fun to go home and show my Mom what hideous clothes she had gotten me. One year it was a pink sweatshirt with blue kitten and a ball of yarn. I was 13.
    She sends my son toys, some of which are pretty cool.. I don't mind thrift store stuff at all, but she sent us a small toy bus that has no wheels. DS tried really hard to push it around, but got frustrated and gave up.
    Meagan
    30 dx with PCOS 2010 treating with metformin
    DS1 12-29-11 DS2 11-4-14
    BFP 10/19/13 missed mc at 5 weeks d&c 11/18/13
    BFP 2/16/14 Please stick baby! !  EDD 10/31/14
    DX with septate uterus 3/1/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
     Ex Boyfriend after college gave me an embroidered towel for Christmas.  He asked his mother to pick out the pattern and the towel.  Mind you, I had never met his mother and it was a strange gift from someone I had been dating for 6 months.  And yes, that was his entire Christmas gift.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    My husband got me a plant for my first mother's day. Pretty dissapointed :( lol

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• Options
    For my 17th birthday, my grandmother (who hadn't given me gifts in years) gave me knock-off barbie dolls... as well as clothes to put on them. I have absolutely no idea why. lol
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • Options
    I had an on-again, off-again boyfriend for like a decade and one year we seemed to be on-again (he was at Christmas with my family) so I got him an MP3 player (they were still new and cool). He got me a book called "how to budget" and gave it to me in front of my whole family.
  • Options
    1. For my birthday last year, my dad's wife bought me this hideous lamp. Housewarming gift, maybe but birthday gift!? And it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen in my life. 

2. When I was like 5 or 6 I got a pillow person (anybody remember those?) from my aunt. It was my step-dad's sister although since my folks have been married since I was 3, I never considered him a step parent but his entire family made sure to treat me like a step-child! Anyhow, my step sister got some cool older kid looking one, my niece got the cute baby one, I got a window! Even though I was young and was expected not to notice, I felt like she went out of her way to make me feel different. Of course this was only after my dad told her she couldn't give the others gifts without giving me one. I guess it was her way of rebelling... way to take it out on a innocent kid lady!   

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    My poor grandmother has great intentions but she was a terrible gift giver when we were younger.  I once got olive green bias tape (for hemming things) for Christmas when I was like 13. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ooh I forgot one. One of my grandmothers gave me a laminate Minnie Mouse backpack- for a toddler----when I was a junior in high school lol. I couldn't be too upset though because at least that was an actual gift. She was notorious for bringing us hotel shampoos and soaps, calendars from her drs office etc as gifts.
    I ended up giving the backpack to my 4 year old little sister. :)
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    One of DH's great-aunts used to work at a department store that closed in the early 1980s and must bought tons before it closed.  We got a really ugly tablecloth for our wedding shower (in 2006).  

My grandma gave my brother Barney the dinosaur underwear when we he was 8.  :)  I don't think she realized it was a show for preschoolers.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My parents were divorced and I was 5. My dad got me a ham folder and a 3 Stooges video. It was seriously a freaking school folder with cartoonish pictures of ham. And I hated the 3 Stooges, but he liked them, so that's what I got for Christmas.
  • Options
    I received a lot of cat-themed t-shirts from my family when I was in high school. I never wore any of them, but that didn't stop them from giving them to me.
  • Options
    i hate opening presents in front of people sometimes because i just can't hide my displeasure or WTF face if it isn't something i want.  i've gotten many bad gifts over the years but my MIL always gets it wrong and sometimes not even in an obvious way.  this past year for Christmas she gave me a $20 gift card to a lovely chocolate shop... 2 1/2 hours away!  i have no idea how she aquired it or how she thought i was going to use it.  the store does have a website and will ship with a minimum shipping charge of ~$10 leaving me $10 to spend on chocolates which are ~$2.50 apiece.  so i guess if i choose to go that route i can get 4 fancy chocolates for her $20 investment.  i should be more grateful but this is not the 1st weird gift cert we've received... how about a paper certificate to a fish camp restaurant over an hour away w/ no dollar amount on it???  oh, and she likes to repackage stuff too and make gift baskets.  the fish camp thing came in a basket with clear jars of hot cocoa powder and apple cider powder w/ no directions on how to mix it.
  • Options
    We received a plastic basket full of fall colored faked flowers for a wedding gift. It reeked of someone's basement. With it was an attached handwritten note saying congratulations. I was a little taken back by it.I did put them out front last fall but ended up getting rid of them because they are defi seasonal and we have no room to store things we don't need!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

We got a shadow box with our wedding invitation and what-not in it from one of DH's family members as a wedding gift.  And that SAME lady, in the same year, gave DH a "$25.00 gift certificate" from restaurant.com.  You had to spend $50.00 in order to redeem the $25.00, AND those gift certificates generally only cost about $2.50. 

• Options
    Wino411 said:
    1. For my birthday last year, my dad's wife bought me this hideous lamp. Housewarming gift, maybe but birthday gift!? And it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen in my life. 

2. When I was like 5 or 6 I got a pillow person (anybody remember those?) from my aunt. It was my step-dad's sister although since my folks have been married since I was 3, I never considered him a step parent but his entire family made sure to treat me like a step-child! Anyhow, my step sister got some cool older kid looking one, my niece got the cute baby one, I got a window! Even though I was young and was expected not to notice, I felt like she went out of her way to make me feel different. Of course this was only after my dad told her she couldn't give the others gifts without giving me one. I guess it was her way of rebelling... way to take it out on a innocent kid lady!   
    Hahahaha, my sister had the window! Also, so did DJ Tanner:

My parents bought us both pillow people. My sister got the window, I got the storm cloud one, which my dad said "matched my personality." In the words of Stephanie Tanner here: "How rude!"
    I actually hated that thing until I saw it on full house, then I was ok with it. Still gave my aunt the side-eye... still do til this day! lol

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Anniversary

• Options
    By far the worst/funniest gift I received was a wedding gift. My husband's family friends had the gift wrapped really nicely from a local store that often times sells fairly pricey items. My husband prefaces us opening the gift by saying, "I bet this is a really nice, expensive gift," (knowing the family and the store). So we open the box and inside are small plastic cups (the larger cups were really popular a few years back, but I forget the brand). The kicker is that they had crabs and seashells on them! We don't live at the beach, we didn't get married at the beach, nor have we expressed that we love the beach. On top of that there were four cups and only two lids. We just looked at them speechless thinking there had to be more to the gift...nope!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

For my high school graduation, my weird aunt gave me this awful long sleeved shirt that was tye-dyed and had a purple heart on the front. It was so random and my cousin that graduated the year before got a $50 best buy gift card from her for his, and my cousin that graduated the year after got a $50 Visa giftcard!

This also reminds me of a few Christmas's ago, my grandma got all of us grandkids snuggies. I was the only one who got an actual Snuggie brand one, and everyone else got khaki Walmart brand ones, on which she embroidered each person's name across the chest. One of my cousins had brought his new wife to our family Christmas that year and she got one too. It was sooo funny.

photo: YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US!

• Options
    Cheap dolls when I was 19, from a family member. I put on a smile though.

• Options
    My DH forgot my bday the first year we were married. I was 25 (so, kind of a big one) and, well, I was pretty pissed. So I complained to him and he gave me a flimsy gold chain (like from a vending machine) that was broken and also had the $2.50 sticker still attached. Not sure he's ever gonna live that one down. Fortunately for him, he has definitely upped his game since then. :-p
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    lct2008 said:
    I got a plastic stool from like kmart once from my parents. Idk what they were thinking lol. Was pretty disappointed about that one
    How weird! My parents gave me a rubber stool once. It was a regift, too, because I had seen them in my mom's closet for YEARs. She is a huge fan of the regift. For my bridal shower, she gave me a book on cats (since we had just bought ours). It was kind of weird...

The worst, though, was my husband's aunt. She means well, but sometimes I think she forgets that we are in our late 20's, not our late 60's. One year, she sent us a table runner, placemats, and dish cloth that were Easter themed. They were puffy and pastel and looked like something my grandma would own...
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I remember one Christmas, when I was 14, getting a tin of oreos, 2 cans of ravioli, a bathtub plug, and a tshirt that said "Pinch the tail, suck the head."  It was so hard not to cry.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

• Options
    Haha, you all have some good ones! All I can think of is when my ex-BF (who turned out to be super creepy, shudder) gave me a gift card for my birthday. I think gift cards can be great gifts, but not from a SO! It's like saying, happy bday, I put zero thought into this. Fortunately by the time my next bday came around, I had a new BF who ended up being my DH! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    My parents gave me Dr. Phil's Love Smarts book for Christmas one year. My mom said maybe it would help me find a boyfriend. What they didn't know is I had been in a serious relationship for almost a year when they gave this to me.
  • Options
    One Christmas I received an electric razor from my now ex's aunt. She apparently had always wanted one and thought I would too! It didn't actually shave your legs either!

For a wedding gift, my step MIL's sister gave my and my DH a bowl with some movies and snacks. Great gift except for the fact the card said to me and Josh ( my DH's brother!!)

I'm sure there were some other awful gifts but I can't think of them right now!
  • Options
    One year for Christmad I got a forest green sweatshirt from mom grandma (mom's mom). She had used puffy paint and drew 2 friends playing outside. On the top it had written Best Friend's. My grandma was not there to see me open it. I was trying so hard not to show my disappointment. I think my mom told her I loved it.
    I kept it for a long time but I never wore it. I was on 6th to 7th grade. Just couldn't do it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
     After I met DH's family for the first time I sent his mom a box with a picture album in it with pictures of all of us from the trip(they live in a different state). When she got it she called to thank me for the picture album and book. I said what book? It turns out the box must have popped open on it's way and they put a book inside about how to become a better person. Then they taped it shut again and sent it on. We still laugh about that! What a great first impression!
  • Options
    lrobi13 said:

Mine was a random "Easter Gift" from my step-mom.  It was some dirty Doc Martins. 

1.  Not my style at all in the time that she knew me (maybe if we had crossed paths while I was a freshmen in high school but not as a working professional 22 y/o)

2. they had mud on them, she had worn them to some party and then put them in a nice gidt bag and gave them to me.  WTF!

LOL. That is truly ridiculous.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My dad bought me a bracelet.... nice and all but he forgot he bought me the same exact bracelet three years before.  
  • Options
    My MIL's friends (that I didn't really know) gave me racy lingerie at my bridal shower. I didn't realize what it was at first so I pulled it out of the bag in front of my mom, MIL, aunts, and grandma. It's an ongoing joke with my family now.

My MIL also face me lingerie at my shower to wear on my wedding night... A little awkward, but it was really pretty!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"