April 2014 Moms
Options

Introducing a bottle

We need to teach my LO to take a bottle, since I have to go to work 1 day a week and DH will be looking after her. Otherwise, she is EBF.

Tonight we gave it our first try with an Advent and Tommee Tippee bottle (tried both), and with both she drank SOoooo fast, spitting some out, drooling, etc. Feeding was over before we knew it compared to when she is on the breast.

We're looking for your best advice on the best way to do this? Ways to hold baby? Ways for dad to best feed? Best bottles that mimic the breast to keep her working to get her meal instead of it being forced on her? General tips?
TIA!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
EDD 4/7/18
MC 5/20/17 @8 wks

Re: Introducing a bottle

• Options
    We do 1 bottle a day. We started out with Tommee tippee and she would gag, we now use comotomo bottles and they work great. Other than that we are learning as we go
  • Options
    I agree with the others about sitting baby upright with the bottle at a 90 degree angle.  With DD1, we used the Calma bottle by Medela when we started introducing bottles.  That made her really work for the milk.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use dr browns bottles with premie nipples. Keeps the twins working for it and there's been no nipple confusion.
  • Options
    We are using Nuk bottles. We hold her upright and we just try and pace her the best possible. Her first bottle was gone in a blink of an eye and shortly thereafter came right back up. Now we make sure that we stop her about every 1/2 ounce and at least try to burp her (which he almost always does burp). It's going much better. Also, tighten the collar as tight as it will go. The looser the collar the faster the milk comes out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We tried our first bottle today - tommee tippee - DH gave it in another room and made LO take lots of breaks. He said that when DS would stop for a second, he's pull the bottle out.

The first years breastflow bottles were next on my list to try if needed.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Cassi215 said:

I use dr browns bottles with premie nipples. Keeps the twins working for it and there's been no nipple confusion.

These were also recommended to me - Dr Brown's with preemie nipple. I guess it's one of the lower flow nips out there. We're going to give it a whirl next week, although I'm dreading having to start pumping again. :/
  • Options
    I sit DD up, give at 90 degrees and use my first years breast flow bottle. She has to work just as hard with it. Also make sure to take lots of breaks and burp often.
  • Options
    We had the same problem with tomie tippee, but dr browns worked great for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    You know how when your baby feeds at the breast, he'll stop and start? Take several gulps, then stop, then take some more? The goal is to mimic this with the bottle.   Generally speaking, it's easier to have another caregiver try the bottle the first few times.   It might be helpful for your H to closely watch you breastfeed a few times so he can see baby's feeding rhythm, and more easily mimic that with the bottle.

It's trial and error with bottle types -- ours likes Medela Calma and Joovy Boob with stage 0 nipples.  You'll want his latch on the bottle nipple to look like his latch on your boob, with his lips splayed out at the base (fat part) of the nipple.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    LBStewart said:

I agree with the others about sitting baby upright with the bottle at a 90 degree angle.  With DD1, we used the Calma bottle by Medela when we started introducing bottles.  That made her really work for the milk.

The calma bottle was recommended by our lc as the best bottle to mimic breast feeding- they really have to suck to get the milk. It's pricey but worth it.
  • Options
    We have been using Breast Flow bottles when DH feeds her. He stops periodically to burp her because she eats much faster and he holds bottle at a 90 degree angle.
  • Options
    Another question then: if you hold the bottle at a 90 degrees angle, does that introduce a lot of air into the nipple? Is that bad? Make a gassy baby?

@Alana526‌ @sascott520‌ @Manda+panda‌

DD on a recent trip to London. 3 yrs old.
    EDD 4/7/18
    MC 5/20/17 @8 wks
  • Options
    It can, that's why we burp after every half ounce and make sure she actually burps.
  • Options
    Kellymom's page on this was very helpful to me! I followed the advice pretty much to the letter.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Another question then: if you hold the bottle at a 90 degrees angle, does that introduce a lot of air into the nipple? Is that bad? Make a gassy baby? @Alana526‌ @sascott520‌ @Manda+panda‌
    I'm sorry I am only seeing this now. I honestly do not know. My daughter has been gassy regardless of how we feed her. Sorry I am not much help in that area.
  • Options
    We use the bottles that came with the pump because that's what we used in the hospital. When DH feeds DS we have him take a few sips, stop to burp, few sips, burp, etc. he's a fast drinker and if we don't make him slow down he will end up spitting it all back up, which is a tragedy with breast milk!

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
  • Options
    SheybreSheybre member
    Dr. Brown > the medela & Nuk we've tried. She doesn't suck down so much air :)
  • Options
    I use a slow flow nipple and have DS sitting almost straight up while he drinks. I stop frequently to burp him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"