December 2013 Moms
Options

When did you start supplementing?

giglameshgiglamesh member
edited April 2014 in December 2013 Moms
I've EBF LO for 4.5 months now but I'm getting burnt out now that I'm back at work. Pumping is making it hard for me to be productive especially now that I'm on a flex work schedule. And I feel like I can't get out of the house enough cuz I'm always worried about running out of milk. And the hubby and I plan to have a night or two away soon but I only have 40 ounces in the freezer stash. Any suggestions?

Re: When did you start supplementing?

• Options
    I'm in the same boat. When I pump at work I'm not able to keep up with how much he eats. My freezer stash is almost depleted :(
    We would like to go away for a night as well but that definitely won't happen while I'm breast feeding.

• Options
    I don't supplement, but I will say that if I was planning a trip and thought supplementation might be necessary, I would start sooner rather than later because it may take time to figure out what formula will work best for your little one.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm also not sure what exactly you are asking? But if you want to supplement bc you're not loving pumping, just start. :) It's not the end of the world.
  • Options

What @Northport said. Start trying different formulas because it's possible baby might reject some or all or it might make them gassy, constipated, sick, etc.

Baby Boots refused to eat several types of formulas and another type made him projectile vomit. :-|

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    We supplemented from the beginning because LO had a 10 day NICU stay and my milk took time to come in. Then we struggled with BFing and supplemented as necessary. We now are almost EBF (including pumping) except for one formula bottle at night because DH likes to feed her once a day and I can't pump well. While my supply is great, I just can't pump it all out so I may need to supplement a little before I'm home for tthe summer, though as of now I can send what she needs to daycare. You'll have to afind a formula that works for your LO so see if you can get samples. Then just go with what works!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't always get enough milk when I pump at work, so we have been supplementing since I have been back. No big deal. You give your LO what you can and do your best :)
    image  image

Lilypie - (Xzno)
    Lilypie - (WIG0)
  • Options
    I hate pumping, and the only time I do it is when DH and I decide to have a boozy night and I don't want to be engorged. I nurse throughout the day and give her a 2-4 ounce bottle in the evening before bedtime. We started that routine pretty much from the beginning.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I mainly EBF, but DH gives LO a bottle of formula before bed many nights. We use Similac for Supplementing and it has worked well for LO, but agree that you have to try it out b/c what agrees with one baby may not for another.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't had to supplement with formula yet, but my days are most definitely numbered. LO has a milk intolerance so we'd have to go with Alimentum. Our pedi gave us a sample and also an RX. It's not prescription, but wicked expensive - $30+ a pop! I called my insurance and they cover it 100%! So if any of you ladies need Alimentum for your babes, call your insurance company to see if they cover it.

Sorry I got OT.

Anyways, I'm not worried. If he needs formula, he needs formula. I'll start by mixing with some BM soon.
  • Options
    I've heard/read it takes 12 weeks to regulate your supply. Since you're well beyond that it shouldn't effect your supply to supplement when needed. So go out and have fun with your H!!
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    I started to supplement with formula when my LO was 4 and a half months. It was too draining, and pedi said he could have gained a little bit more weight since his last check up. I now give him a bottle in the middle of the day and one at night. I am also giving him a fruit every morning
    I didn't want the pressure of having to pump and it made my life a lot easier !
  • Options
    I began supplementing when lo was around 3 months I think. I tried pumping to start building up a stash at 8 weeks and hated it. I gave up after a month.
    So lo gets a formula bottle every night at bedtime to stuff his belly and I bring formula bottles with me when I leave the house instead of NIP. So essentially he gets one or two bottles of formula a day. My supply is still fine. As for suggestions I really don't have any. As long as baby is getting fed it really doesn't matter.
  • Options
    With DD I started supplementing when I went back to work when she was 13 weeks. I couldnt pump enough. I did a combo of BF/FF until she was ready for cows milk. I still BF at night until she was 15 months. any BF is great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"