C-sections
Options

During the actual surgery question

Do they restrain you at all during the surgery....like strap your arms/wrists down or anything? Or does the epidural/spinal pretty much leave your upper body unknown as to what is going on?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker} image

Re: During the actual surgery question

• Options
    No none of your body is strapped down
  • Options
    DH told me my legs were strapped down but I had no idea. My arms were spread out to the side but not strapped down. I didn't even consider moving them but I was pretty scared/sick during mine. I do think I reached over to touch each baby before they were whisked to the NICU and I started puking but I'm not even sure of that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks!! I am not sure where I came up with the idea that you were restrained. But it's a relief to know that you aren't because that would totally freak me out!
  • Options
    I wasn't, they had the curtain up right below my arms so I don't know what went on behind that but I could see my hands the whole time, couldn't really feel them though.
  • Options
    No. I just had to keep my arms out to the sides as I had a blood pressure cuff on one side and an iv on the other. But when it came time to touch the baby they told me i was free to move.
  • Options
    I've also heard that some hospitals do restrain arms/hands (don't really understand why?).  I am going to ask my OB tomorrow when we go over all the details of the procedure.  For some reason the idea of being restrained really freaks me out too!
  • Options
    Sounds like most people don't get restrained. Going to ask my OB at my next appointment what my hospital does. I would much rather know going into it, just in case!
  • Options
    I believe it's up to the anesthesiologist but I specifically asked not to be retrained because it would cause me anxiety. Your upper body is not numb, you will feel numb from about your chest down and don't be freaked out if it feels like you can't breathe, just breathe through your nose when your chest feels heavy
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    I wasn't restrained at all.  My arms were out on each side and they had my legs in these boot-type-things.  There was air being pumped in and out of them to help prevent blood clots.
  • Options
    Kim22Kim22 member
    I think this may be something that changed recently. My sister and I each have had 3 CS's, same Dr., same hospital. She said her arms were restrained with her first (the oldest of all 6 kids) but not her others and mine never were. There were arm rests that stuck out on the sides but no one told me I had to use them.
  • Options
    I wasn't strapped down;  I couldn't feel anything from my mid chest down--arms were fine
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    nikkiuknikkiuk member
    edited May 2014
    Eww this is food for thought. I'm scheduled for my first CS in July (after two 'normal' births) and I do not like the thought of having my arms restrained! It's a bit death penalty like. Little worried about not being able to feel like I can breathe either as that's certainly an anxiety attack trigger for me. I'm glad I read these comments, I'll speak to the OB about it.
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    Jdogs12Jdogs12 member
    My arms were out to the side, strapped down.  I remember after I had to ask them to release me because I had a pain in my shoulder from being in the same position for a while.  It was an emergency c-section though so I don't know if that made a difference.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    hsalhsal member
    I just had my section on Tuesday and was not strapped down. I got skin to skin while they sewed me back up. It wasn't nearly as terrible as I expected and it was my first c section, after a completely natural vaginal delivery with my first.
  • Options
    AcsimAcsim member
    My arms were strapped with DD1, but, I also had an emergency CS. Since this second one is planned, I am asking for immediate skin to skin and nursing time, which I understand my hospital usually grants.
  • Options
    I'm really pretty sure my arms weren't strapped down.  I was so drugged up I don't think I could have moved them anyhow! 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I wasn't strapped down at all.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    Both of my arms were tied down.  
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    Your upper body still has feeling/movement.  They strapped my arms down.  That was actually probably the worse part of the actual surgery because my arms were seriously cramping by the end there from the position they strapped them in.
  • Options
    My arms were strapped down until she was out. They unstrapped them so I could hold her. I have no idea if my legs were strapped or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My arms were strapped down.
  • Options
    My arms were not strapped down, and I don't believe any of my lower half was either, though I really don't know. At that time, I really didn't care. I had my arms laid out to my sides on extensions of the table, and they kept warmed sheets laid across my upper body and arms. My legs were in the machines that massaged them to prevent blood clots. Honestly, I was so warm, numb, and comfortable, I didn't have a clue and didn't care. I am scheduled for my second c-section in about six weeks and hope it goes as well. I have a different doctor and hospital now due to moving.
  • Options
    nikkiuknikkiuk member
    I ended up having an emergency CS last week after my LO decided that he wanted out, 9 weeks early no less. In my comment above I mentioned that I didn't like the thought of my arms being strapped down. I actually thought of this thread as they were strapping both of my arms down LOL. 

But then they knocked me out so it didn't matter anymore. 
    ;)
    Master of 'the look' 
  • Options
    rak123rak123 member
    I was strapped down, and when they brought the baby out to me, they undid the straps.

Baby BOY is due May 23, 2014!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Mine was emergency so I was numb from the neck down. My arms were strapped down BC I was crying and shaking even though I couldn't move them they took extra precautions.
  • Options
    I was strapped down and put to sleep
    Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!
  • Options
    I was free to move my arms as I pleased. I remember removing my oxygen tube and telling him it was making me nauseated. He was cool with it.

I had a massive anxiety attack on the table because I couldn't feel my legs. I'm PRAYING that doesn't happen again this time (RCS scheduled in 7 weeks). It was awful and I had a really hard time enjoying any part of it. I didn't even "care" when DH brought DD to me. I was so out of it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I had an emergency section and mine were not restrained. When they were taking the baby out of the room they brought her to me to touch and kiss. Also I was able to hold my DHs hand the whole time.
  • Options
    my arms were strapped down. once the baby came over, they unstrapped my arms so i could touch the baby.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    During my emergency c section I was fully strapped down and knew going into the second and third and even now with my fourth that it causes me to freak out worse (I said numerous times I felt I was being crucified for being unable to deliver her safely...not necessarily PC but it was how I felt!) I would talk to your Dr./nurses and find out what their plans are.
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options
    I wasn't strapped down either time. I was calm for both, so perhaps its something they do if there is a need.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• Options
    The arm with my IV was restrained, and my other arm was shaking so badly that I begged for my other arm to be restrained ( I was worried it would move and break the sterile field) the midwife, OB and anesthetist thought it was a strange request but did strap my other arm at my request.  My legs were numb from the epidural and did not move.

imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Mine were not strapped down. They had them outstretched. I had an IV in both hands and was not told that I couldn't move them. In fact I remember numerous times using both hands to wipe tears from my eyes as they kept watering from a cold I had.
  • Options
    RDK24RDK24 member
    I heard a lot about being restrained before my section. I have no idea what was happening below my chest, since it's 100% numb, but my arms were not strapped down, just spread out wide, like an open wingspan position. 
  • Options
    My arms were strapped down, as well. Although, the amount of drugs I had in me was making me feel like I was seizing in my right arm, which was probably why. They said shaking was a side effect of the drugs sometimes and I remember my right arm was shaking and trying to flail so bad I just kept crying because I felt like if it wouldn't stop I couldn't hold the baby and the uncontrollable shaking of my right arm was putting it in a lot of pain. This part of the surgery particularly gives me painful and traumatic memories so I remember it well. Hopefully next time this won't happen, it was awful for me.  :-S
  • Options
    My arms were spread out on boards.  Don't know much about the rest of me.  The spinal made me loopy.  I remember having dry mouth and trouble really speaking, as if I was trying to talk while falling asleep.  I remember the first time, being shocked by how close the drape was to my face.  That was a little claustrophobic.  My first section I was able to move within a half hour, sorta.  My second took almost several hours to start to get feeling back in my legs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't strapped down. My arms and hands were numb though. My boyfriend brought me the baby and I was able to hold my son briefly before I asked my boyfriend to take him because I had absolutely no strength left in me lol. 
  • Options
    My right arm was strapped down but the left arm was not so I could hold our babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"