Parenting
Options

Spirited Children

When was the moment that you realized your child was more "spirited" than most? I took James to story time today for birth to 24 months. All of the five other children, most about James's age or older, sat on their mothers' laps, clapped along, participated in the games. My son? Was obsessed with running through the shelves and pulling books out. My attempts to keep him in my lap brought about screams of terror and general pissed-off-ness, so I gave up. Then they had open play, so I took him back over to play with the other kids. As they rolled balls back and forth and stacked blocks, James climbed chairs and ran around like a maniac. I thought this was normal one year old behavior. But unless we were in a group with five other children who are more docile than is expected, I realized that my child is spirited. I initially got a twinge of panic, but then I grinned from ear to ear.
Started TTC 2/2009
Started fertility treatments 11/2010
Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
6 failed medicated IUI's
Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
Decided to adopt - 6/2012
SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
Here we go again...
Due 8/26/19!

Re: Spirited Children

• Options
    From the moment I first felt him move in my belly!  DS was ready to go from the moment he was born I do believe.  Hes 26 months now & still won't sit still & read a book with us, could care less about watching tv & is in general all over the place about 85% of the time.  Boys will be boys they tell me! We stay active so I really don't know where he gets all the extra energy from!
  • Options
    Yep, first time.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Probably around 18 months or so. He's spirited, but the hardest thing with him is how strong-willed/stubborn he is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    That's my DS! He's 7 now and we're working on it still. He's much better, but then squirrel ;) he's a very sweet and affectionate boy, but calmly sitting was never his thing. Although, he LOVES story time and will sit still for that.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    From the day we met- DS was adopted internationally and the day the social worker first brought him to meet us we knew he was full of energy and curiosity about his surroundings. Oh, and I'm not sure he's ever willingly walked anywhere. He was about 13 months old when we first met him and I can still clearly remember putting him down to see how well he could walk (SW told us he was just starting). He had Road Runner feet, holding him a few feet above the ground he looked like he could runs mile a minute but it took him awhile to figure out balance. In the beginning he just couldn't keep up with those feet and at 5 1/2 now he still needs to be reminded not to run in the house pretty much daily. Too much to do and not enough time I guess.

Overall he is pretty well behaved most of the time. If there's no activity to hold his interest he will still be all over the place but he can sit still for tv, reading, iPad time or workbook pages. Thank goodness for those things or else this pregnant momma would have a hard time keeping up with him right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"