Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby suddenly hates getting changed?

I'm not sure if anyone else is dealing with this bizarre situation-- for the past month or so, my daughter suddenly HATES getting her diaper/clothes changed. She used to very calmly allow me to change her. Now, most times, she immediately tries to flip herself over or twist off the table. I would be concerned if anyone but me was doing the changing... but I'm pretty much the only one. There was no traumatic incident-- no falling from her changing table or injury or even so much as a diaper rash. I keep turning her back around, but that just makes her cry and continue twisting away. She'll stop if she's able to sit herself up, it's like an off-switch. Of course, then I can't change her if she's sitting. I'm at my wits end-- and really hate how frustrated I'm getting! Sometimes giving her a toy will work to keep her occupied, but more often than not, that doesn't work.  Anyone else experience this?

Re: Baby suddenly hates getting changed?

• Oh yeah, my LO often wants to roll over or twists to try to grab at anything on the table. If you're concerned about her falling off, try changing her in the crib or on the floor. Only thing you can do is try to preoccupy her with toys and get it done quickly, and don't give in when she starts crying. She'll get over it soon enough.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • total phase.  DS when through a period like this and now DD is just starting to do it.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Phew, thank you roo1oo and RedDDD. I'll just keep powering through it and maybe set up a changing station on the floor so I'm not risking her getting hurt. She's a strong one!
  • Yep, same here with my 8mo DS2. DS1 was not like this at all!
  • I've been dealing with this too and I found the best way for me to get her changed is to sing a song nice and loud to grab her attention than change her as quick as I can before she loses interest in the song.
  • This is common during their wonder weeks, which are usually in month long spans

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I keep a handful of interesting and "new" (ones that he hasn't seen in a while) toys next to the changing pad and try to bribe him to stay still.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • jtmomma13jtmomma13 member
    edited April 2014
    We have this problem too! I give him a rattle or something to hold his focus and it usually helps! 

edit- he also loves it if I bend down so he can't see my face (I keep a hand on his belly) and I start singing "where is momma where is momma?" then i pop up and say "here I am , here I am, la la la la la la, la la la la la la" and I tap his nose...and then I keep singing while changing and it makes him laugh and distracts him. 
  • Yup my 7.5 month old does it too lately! Usually a toy will help but sometimes especially when getting her ready for bed she fights me, kicks and stiffens her legs and screams like I'm hurting her or something! I try to just do it as fast as I can.
  • slh6363slh6363 member
    Yes Im afraid to even use the changing table bc Im afraid he will flip off!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I change her on the floor
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• DS has been using his super strength to fight me. I took a new toy and give it to him only when he's on the changing table. And I snap him in so he can't roll
  • My 7 month old does the same. I've been changing her on the floor. She loves rolling over mid diaper change and crawling away. She flops around like a fish out of water if I try to hold her down. I've gotten used to changing her as she is crawling away.
  • YAY it's not just us! ;) Glad to hear this is just another normal phase of babyhood! I had some slight concerns.. but as you said.. I'm pretty much the only one who changes her! The situation was MUCH worse when I have to change her in public.. or in a different location shes not as used to.

I've gone through almost all of her toys, peek a boo, singing, we are now abusing the video monitor.. it's fun because when we sing it echos through the monitor.. YAY and keeps her flat on her back while I change her! LOL pee pee diapers aren't so bad.. I've done a dozen or more of those backwards.. but poops. UGH. I dread them especially if our latest distraction isn't working!!!

will it be over soon!?
  • Oh it gets better - NOT... At least for me it was a rollercoaster ride... Wait till they are older and stronger... Mine little guy did it when he was a few months old - someone would have thought I was killing him trying to keep him occupied with toys/sang to him, then it got better, then he was doing it again, then got better, and occasionally at 21 months he still does it!  Just try to be patient and take several deep breaths - eventually it will get better :-)
  • Same at my house. Lately a bright yellow level from the tool drawer calms her down, and if she rolls over comlpletely I just turn the diaper over and put it on her while she's on her tummy.

As far as the clothes go, I usually stick her in my lap facing out and do it that way. She still protests a bit, I think she's a nudist :)

She used to be so sweet for these activities.. I miss it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"