3rd Trimester

Feeling cramps - not sure if BH?

I'm feeling a lot of menstrual-like cramps over the past few days.  Some are pretty intense and painful.  Is this what BH contractions feel like?  I'm not concerned just yet....

Re: Feeling cramps - not sure if BH?

• For me, whenever I get a BH, my belly just feels really tight and uncomfortable. I can feel a little bit of pressure too... but I don't get any type of cramping. It can be a different feeling for everyone. As long as the feeling doesn't get more intense and they don't become more frequent, I don't think you have anything to worry about. You can always call your dr if anything becomes concerning.
  • How far are you?

Honestly, I am not sure. I think everyone is different. When I had my first baby the contractions didn't feel anything like menstrual cramps, it was just an intense pain in my lower back that got worse with time. They were regular, started getting closer and more intense as I dilated until the baby was born.

I've been feeling menstrual cramps too the last week but they are not regular.

Ask your doctor.

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I forgot to mention that for me the BH don't feel like menstrual cramps.

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm only five weeks pregnant and while my husband and I were having sex last night I started getting really bad cramps that felt just like Menstrual cramps. I was concerned too and wondering if it was normal??
  • jessig13826jessig13826 member
    edited April 2014

@caithegreat83 That happened to me in my first trimestrer, also had some pink spotting after having sex. I am almost 39 weeks now.

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• I've been getting BHs for a while now. My belly gets absolutely rock hard, especially on the top.
    As long as the cramping isn't regular and it's not building in intensity then it's probably BH. If you're in any doubt, call your care giver.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• I also have been having BH for awhile I am 31 weeks now.  They started at about 25 weeks but seem to be more frequent but not regular.  All the smart mommas above gave you the best advice. If they are not regular, go away with a position change or drinking alot of water I wouldn't worry.  Plus BH don't build in intensity, they always just kinda feel the same. 

My belly becomes rock hard, its hard to breath and I have to move.  It lasts for about 30 secs.  Then goes away.  Never felt like cramping unless I had to pee before they started. 

Oh and the doctor told me to definately call if it happened 4 or more times in an hour.

• At my childbirth class last night she was saying that what feels like cramps is often attributed to the cervix (softening maybe) rather than Braxton Hicks, which don't feel crampy but instead are as described by the ladies above (muscle contractions -- hardening of the uterus). I know for BH they are only a problem if they are at regular and increasing frequency intervals. Not sure what hte rule of thumb is for the crampy feeling but definitely agree -- check with med professional.

BabyFruit Ticker

• i think i read that right,, you are 5 weeks pregnant?

those menstrual cramps are probably not BH… but they sound normal to me!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry, forgot to mention above, I'm 36 weeks pregnant.  I'm going to mention these to my doc when I see him again on Monday.  They're not regular at all, but they're uncomfortable and a bit painful.  They seem to go along with the groin/hip pain I've been having lately.  I'm really small in stature and have a short abdomen, so I'm hoping it's just more of my body stretching to make room for this baby, and nothing more serious.  
  • Just today I started to notice some menstrual like cramps. I kinda attributed it to the baby's head pushing down. I will ask midwife at next appointment about it though and if it gets worse, I will be calling.

Married - 12/2011  TTC #1 - 8/2013 

BFP - 10/14/2013 EDD June 20, 2014

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• jckeown89 said:
    Just today I started to notice some menstrual like cramps. I kinda attributed it to the baby's head pushing down. I will ask midwife at next appointment about it though and if it gets worse, I will be calling.
    I started getting those last night, but not sure if it's gas cramps or something else. I just went to the midwife yesterday for my regular appointment in the morning and everything was fine. They don't do internal exams at this point though, just blood pressure and listen to the heartbeat. I haven't noticed the cramps get worse since last night, but it's just strange. I was thinking it could be the baby dropping lower too. Let me know what your midwife says. 
  • jckeown89 said:
    Just today I started to notice some menstrual like cramps. I kinda attributed it to the baby's head pushing down. I will ask midwife at next appointment about it though and if it gets worse, I will be calling.
    I started getting those last night, but not sure if it's gas cramps or something else. I just went to the midwife yesterday for my regular appointment in the morning and everything was fine. They don't do internal exams at this point though, just blood pressure and listen to the heartbeat. I haven't noticed the cramps get worse since last night, but it's just strange. I was thinking it could be the baby dropping lower too. Let me know what your midwife says. 

I definitely have had gas cramps before and those are painful! However, this felt different. I am going to ask some mature moms about this today and probably will call the midwife just in case. I don't want to be paranoid, but as a first time mom it is hard to know what is normal!

Married - 12/2011  TTC #1 - 8/2013 

BFP - 10/14/2013 EDD June 20, 2014

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm only five weeks pregnant and while my husband and I were having sex last night I started getting really bad cramps that felt just like Menstrual cramps. I was concerned too and wondering if it was normal??
    Let's all just take a moment to read the bolded, shall we?

OP, cramping in first tri is normal.

Let's all just take a moment to read the bolded, shall we?

OP, cramping in first tri is normal.
    Yeah....that's not me (OP).  I'm in my 3rd trimester, 37 weeks.  
  • Hi OP, I'm 38w5d and have been having these PMS-achey like feelings (wouldn't call them cramps but more aches) for a couple weeks as well, since about Week 36.  One of the OBs in my practice said this might be my version of BH.  This week at my check-up another OB said it's my body preparing for labor.  In either case, it sounds like it's normal, but mine are not really super painful with a start or stop, just achey for several hours, mostly at night.  If you are having actual sharp pains though, definitely call your OB!
  • I am ao glad you asked this. I've been experiencing achy-like feelings very low, too. They are a little similar to cramps I had in my cycle at the beginning and end. I always called them "cramplettes" because they were much lighter. These aches aren't really like cramps, in that they don't squeeze and release. It's just an ongoing dull, achy feeling I've been experiencing a lot today and randomly over the last week or so. I'm currently 32w4d. My LO has also been very active.
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited May 2014

I'm only five weeks pregnant and while my husband and I were having sex last night I started getting really bad cramps that felt just like Menstrual cramps. I was concerned too and wondering if it was normal??

There isn't much that applies to first trimester as far as cramping, BH and symptoms go that applies to 3rd as far as same category.

You can't accurately say this happened to me at 34,36,37... So it's normal for 5,6,7.....

Cramping can be BH though but it isn't the same as when you are in your 1st. It is uterus stretching and 3rd is labor prep.
  • kaysa2 said:

My BH feel exactly like menstrual cramps, and my MD confirmed that is indeed what they are.  I never get a firm stomach or tightening or back pain or anything of the other super common things.  Just feels like I'm about to start my cycle.  Sounds like this type of BH may be in the minority, but no worries, it's BH nonetheless. 

It can also be signs of labor for some people so just keep and eye on it.

My friend had menstrual cramping at 31 weeks and went into labor like 12-16 hrs later. She kept telling me she was crampy at her shower. No need to be scared but watch it like everything else. I know I personally get complacent with stuff like this.
    I think my water would have to break or be doubled over in pain before I'd believe I'd had a problem.

• Hi ladies I'm a regular poster over on aug 2013 but happened to see this post while scrolling around. Just from my personal experience my BH were a tightening and release with some cramping that was never timeable. Good luck to all of you ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"