December 2011 Moms

Potty training again

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Potty training again

• The book I read said not to let them sit forever on the potty. The maximum should be 10 min at a time and if he doesn't go then just say "maybe next time". We went straight to undies but I had MH at home for the first 2.5 days.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Sorry D woke up from his nap. To answer your other questions. DD had either one or zero successes the first day. It took a good week of consistently taking her every hour for it to "click". Some of my friends claim they waited for their kids to potty train themselves and I have friends who are still waiting for their almost 4yr old to "be ready". I think that depends on the child's personality.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We went cold turkey to undies. For the first few days my daughter only wore undies and a T-shirt at home. We also never made her sit on the potty or try unless they initiated it. We asked if she need to go a lot, but we didn't force it. If she decided to try, we'd give it a minute or so and if nothing happened we'd move on.

Every time she would pee, we'd run to the potty. If ANY pee/poop made it in the potty we would celebrate and reward. If no pee made it in the potty, I would say something like "Oh no. Pee/poop goes in the potty. Look, now your undies are all wet/dirty. Yucky." Then I'd have her help clean up the accident (wipe up the floor, clean-out poopy undies or take off wet undies and put on clean undies).

There were a lot of accidents the first few days, but it did work. I used this method with both girls and both were quickly potty trained (within 4-5 days they both had it down and were wearing undies at daycare). If you go with this method, you'll probably want to start when your husband is home. Someone really needs to pay close attention to the potty training child for the first few days.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would say maybe he's not ready? Everything I've read has said when they are ready it should go pretty quickly and easily. I still haven't even tried potty training yet since I don't think he's ready yet or and the "hating being naked thing" sure doesn't help!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We made it part of his routine... so, every morning, he sits on the potty and before every bath, & before bed for sure.  He has a sticker chart for everytime he goes. He's doing well with that, but it seems he's not ready for letting us know when he needs to go himself.  When he fills up this current potty sticker board, I'll create a new one with some different goals like "I told mommy/daddy I needed to potty" and "I washed my hands" and also to separate poops from potties. He has pooped at day care, but not at home yet. Having the other kiddos at day care around his same age & they use the potty has helped I'm sure too. So we're taking baby steps at his pace. :) The stickers at least got him excited. The first time he did a little dance because he got a sticker, with his naked butt hanging out was so freakin adorable.

My 2 December boys

• Good luck! I hope it works for you. I really viewed it as a what do we have to lose kind of thing. Either he gets it and you're done, or you try again later. You may end up with a lot of underwear to wash and accidents to clean-up, but if it helps him make the connection, who cares? Or at least that's how I felt about it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We potty trained DS last fall, although we really started introducing him to the concept a few months before that (we did a lot of bare bottom time before his bath and connected the word "pee" to the action every time he did it). When we did start training, DH and I both took time off work to be at home with him. We went cold turkey on the diapers, but didn't introduce underwear for a few months. 

Our approach was similar to @Leap08 - lots of running to the potty as soon as he started to go. Within a few days, he was giving us a heads up when he needed to go.

We read this resource - https://www.jamieglowacki.com/ - ahead of time. Her approach really worked for our family.

~ Married 10.30.04 ~
    DS1 born 12.31.11 ~ DS2 born 2.4.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"