Success after IF

Give me your best potty training tips

MneraniMnerani member
edited April 2014 in Success after IF
Lay em on me.

I know it's early, but he's ready to learn. I don't expect him to be day-trained immediately, but everything I've tried so far, he's caught onto really fast and enjoyed.

So far: he loves sitting on the potty while reading books, playing blocks, etc. When he goes in it (several times a day), he's very pleased: "pee pee, potty, wow, no touch mama." He is obsessed with carrying it to the toilet and spraying out the contents w the cloth diaper sprayer while I hold the potty. In fact, this might be his primary motivation :)

So what's "next" in the progression of things to teach him about the potty? What did you do that was fun for LO and helped them to learn?

Also, I know there's a whole board for this, but y'all are my peeps.

Edit: I just saw MoFree's post from last week- but if anyone else wants to chime in here, feel free. 
DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Give me your best potty training tips

• I have no advice!  E told me this weekend that she needed to potty.  So I put her on the potty.  But she insisted that I leave the room.  As soon as I left, she peed on the floor, slipped in it, and started crying.  I swooped her up, pee and all and told her how very proud I was of her to tell us that she needed to potty, and maybe next time we could pee pee IN the potty. 
    Never thought I'd be proud of my kid for peeing on the floor.
    He's so young, but good for him.  My advice would be to be patient with him, and expect regressions, especially with the big move and the LO on the way.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • TJ, you sound like a patient mom- very cool response. Yeah, there's really no "perfect" time with all of this transition coming up- that's for sure! But I'd rather not wait another 6 or 8 months when I can see that he's into it already. I'll just have to go with the flow and not get ruffled if there are regressions.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We followed Oh Crap Potty Training (ebook). Basically, you decide that on Tuesday (or whatever day) that the diapers are going away. Naked for block 1, commando for block 2, then underwear. It worked well for us. We did use diapers for nights and naps at first but took away the nap diapers after a couple days.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • My advice is not to push it. I was much leased stressed following the child's lead. Sounds like you're doing great!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • oliv0026oliv0026 member
    edited May 2014
    Every child is different. Here is what I have done in the past that worked: First, take two or three days to time your child`s pee and poop time and watch what time he drinks liquids - that will teach you when he needs to go.
    Make a chart for stars and offer a prize after certain amount of stars
    Have a box of books in the bathroom and read a book every time he sits on the potty chair.
    When he does his work, give him a star to put on the chart. 
    You can also give him a small treat that he really likes such as gummy bears!
    When I did all theses things it took about 4 or 5 days to potty traine and about 2 weeks so I wouldnt need to ask every time anymore. When we had a whole week with no accidents we did a party with balloons and cupcakes!!!!

• byrne15byrne15 member
    well I'm no help since ds#1 wasn't trained until 3.5 years old.  With that said, we started by just talking about the potty, then sitting on the potty.  Peeing on the potty was easier, pooping was more challenging.  There were a lot of rewards (m&ms and hotwheel cars).

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• byrne15byrne15 member

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog