Breastfeeding

EPing versus BF advice/troubleshooting

I posted this question to the MSPI thread but I thought I would post it here too. I am new to posting, but have lurked for a while and have learned so much from all of you, thank you.

DS is 8 weeks and I have been EBF until two weeks ago when I started EPing.

DS's has had silent reflux and green BM's that only seem to improve when I bottle feed, which has made me an EPer. I would desperately love to get back to BF, but want to do what is best for DS. Every time I BF his BM's turn bright green and his reflux worsens.

I have tried pumping off the top before feeding, block feeding, MSPI free diet, reflux meds, probiotic, and reclining while nursing. His symptoms have all improved with EPing but come back as soon as I BF.

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?

Re: EPing versus BF advice/troubleshooting

• JennOH85JennOH85 member
    edited April 2014
    I'm sorry your DS is having reflux and bad BMs. It sounds like you've tried a lot of things already, but I wonder if it might just take more time?

When I had oversupply and over active let down (I'm wondering if OALD might be causing the difference between EP and BF?), it took a solid 6-8 weeks before my supply really regulated. It was very hard to be patient, especially when LO and I were both so uncomfortable.

I've been dairy/soy free for five weeks and just yesterday DS had two poops in a row with no specks of blood. (I was so happy!) I know we still have a way to go though.

I'm not an expert, just another nursing mom. What do your pedi or LC say? An LC was very helpful when I was sorting out OS.

Good luck! I hope you and LO find some relief soon.

ETA missing words
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• https://www.lalecheleague.org/nb/lvsepoct95p69nb.html

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Here are some articles on OALD. I personally didn't feel the symptoms but I saw them in DS. The more I think about it, I'm thinking that's why the bottle feeding makes a difference. Once you get your supply down, it should resolve. Hang in there, mama. EPing is hard work. You're doing such a good thing for your LO.
    BFP #1 1.2.12 EDD 9.15.12 :: mmc 2.22.12. / d&c 2.23.12 :: 2nd d&c 3.16.12

"there is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

BFP #2 2.27.13 EDD 11.8.13 Grow, baby, grow!

My Ovulation Chart

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary

image imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image

~ all ALers welcome ~

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice. My pedi who is also a LC thinks it is over supply too. She said she would help me start a supply regulation at our appt this week. I was just seeing if anyone had any other experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"