August 2013 Moms
Options

Ear tubes

Well today my little guy is going to the ENT doctor for an ear tube evaluation. We have been fighting awful infections pretty much constantly for the last three months, unfortunately his just don't respond well to antibiotics and he seems to have them more than he doesn't! Any advice or experiences from BTDT moms would be so appreciated, I'm very nervous about anesthsia.

Re: Ear tubes

• Options
    No personal experience but a lot of moms dealt w this when my oldest was this age+ and those who got tubes said it was a quick and easy procedure that solved the issues pretty much immediately.

Good luck!

• Options
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This will make a huge difference for him. Yes It's extremely difficult walking away while they sedate your baby. Go get some coffee, keep yourself busy. It goes faster than you think. Savannah was tiny when she got hers. She hated the ear drops. But Maybe since yours is older you won't have that problem.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    Good luck! Both of my older children have had two sets each. The procedure itself is quick and easy- the hardest part is the anesthesia. It has made all the difference with my kids, both had hearing loss from recurrent fluid and infection. Neither had speech or language delays. The best part is, if they get infections you can treat with drops instead of oral antibiotics. Our ENT will also suction out the puss if he needs to. Good luck- I know it's tough because it's your baby, but tubes are really no big deal.
  • Options
    My oldest has tubes. My only regret is not getting them sooner, (We probably should have looked into them closer at a year old) we got them at 18 months. I tried lots of homeopathic things as well as antibiotics but they just wouldn't clear up. Finally after 3 rounds of antibiotics and still not clearing up, we did it. If it was just recurring separate infections that would clear with meds, I wouldn't have gone the tube route, but it was the multiple rounds of meds that concerned me.

It's terrifying sending your LO back to surgery. I can't tell you how anxious I was.

DS1s speech development was affected a little. He couldn't hear very well because of the fluid in his ears. Once he had the tubes in for a few months we noticed he started talking more. To this day (he's almost 3) he is still a tiny bit "less verbal" than other kids his age I'm not sure if that's personality or due to muffled hearing for so long.

We haven't had any infections since and thankful over a year later tubes are still in place!

I know what a hard decision it is! Good luck whatever you decide.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    Not btdt, but hope it's as quick and painless as possible! Good luck!
  • Options
    Good Luck to you and LO!! I hope all goes well! I have no BTDT advice...BUT...I think we are next in line for this. LO is having the same issues. Constant infections for almost 2 months now. We go back for a follow up tomorrow for our third antibiotic to see if she's made any progress. Everyone I talk to here says tubes are the best thing that happened to their LO. Please keep up posted!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
  • Options
    I had them when I was younger. I was older, but I remember waking up groggily saying "I can hear mommy"
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    No BTDT advice myself, but my best friend just got them for her 18 month old and she said it was a miracle for them. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We aren't quiet there yet but keeping an eye on it. My nephew needed tubes and got them, but they fell out. My SIL opted not to get htem replaced and now he has a speech impediment. I dont personally think its related as she's lazy as f*ck and didnt really work on language/reading/etc with either of her kids. But she swears they're related (which in turn gets her off the hook for being lazy.) 
    Either way - so sorry you are dealing with this! I know its worrisome and I hope its super easy for you guys!

• Options
    Thanks for the encouragement ! We are getting ready to go to the doctor now, I'm just hoping they want to do them soon, it so sad watching him feel bad way more than he has felt good lately!
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes! I have a feeling we are headed this direction after 2 ear infections in 3 months, and now he has yet another cold coming on, so we are probably headed for a 3rd.
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Options
    Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    Well, the ENT agrees with lo's pediatrician he for sure needs ear tubes. We are just waiting for their office to schedule everything and let us know a date. I'm still nervous but I feel better after talking to the doctor today. And the doctor was so wonderful with my boy he didn't even cry when he was cleaning and examining his ears today, so that also made me feel better!!!
  • Options
    With our oldest we battled ear infections constantly for 6 months before she got tubes at 10 months. Nothing else worked. The tube surgery was super easy but it was hard on me emotionally. Regardless, if I was out in the situation again I wouldn't wait so long. If nothing is working after 3 months there is probably a slim chance something is all the sudden going to work. 

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options

Let us know how it goes! I have a feeling we are headed this direction after 2 ear infections in 3 months, and now he has yet another cold coming on, so we are probably headed for a 3rd.

That's exactly whats going on with our lo and it's no fun! Sorry you are in the same boat. Hope you don't end up with another one!
  • Options

With our oldest we battled ear infections constantly for 6 months before she got tubes at 10 months. Nothing else worked. The tube surgery was super easy but it was hard on me emotionally. Regardless, if I was out in the situation again I wouldn't wait so long. If nothing is working after 3 months there is probably a slim chance something is all the sudden going to work. 

Good luck!
    I agree, I think we have used just about every antibiotic out there so far. We will be going ahead with tubes, it's not fair for him to be sick so much, guess the silver lining to our situation is so far he hasn't been allergic to any antibiotics , looking at the positive here! And my fear of surgery cannot affect my decision if it's going to make his quality of life better.
  • Options

Good Luck to you and LO!! I hope all goes well! I have no BTDT advice...BUT...I think we are next in line for this. LO is having the same issues. Constant infections for almost 2 months now. We go back for a follow up tomorrow for our third antibiotic to see if she's made any progress. Everyone I talk to here says tubes are the best thing that happened to their LO. Please keep up posted!

Hoping your lo gets a good report at the doctor! Let us know how it goes, I totally understand how hard it is to see your baby feel bad.
  • Options
    Luckily his went away witht he second antibiotic(Augmenton), but the result was almost 3 solid weeks of upset stomach/the runs, and that was with giving a probiotic twice a day. 

He's definitely got another cold now, and his 9 month appt is in two weeks, we'll see what happens, the cold is what caused the last 2 infections.
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Options

Hoping your lo gets a good report at the doctor! Let us know how it goes, I totally understand how hard it is to see your baby feel bad.

It was not a good day at the doc for us. LO still has a double ear infection. She is now about to start her 4th antibiotic...augmenton. Her appt with ENT for tubes consult is on Monday.

Good luck to you and your LO with the procedure! I hope all goes well and it solves all these ear problems!
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
  • Options

It was not a good day at the doc for us. LO still has a double ear infection. She is now about to start her 4th antibiotic...augmenton. Her appt with ENT for tubes consult is on Monday.

Good luck to you and your LO with the procedure! I hope all goes well and it solves all these ear problems!
    Thankyou, I hope it helps him too! I'm so sorry your lo is having such a hard time! I totally understand how hard this is watching them be sick so often and so bad! I will let your know how the tubes go, unfortunately it's going to take a few weeks to get scheduled for the surg. Sure hope we don't have anymore flare ups until then!
  • Options

Luckily his went away witht he second antibiotic(Augmenton), but the result was almost 3 solid weeks of upset stomach/the runs, and that was with giving a probiotic twice a day. 

He's definitely got another cold now, and his 9 month appt is in two weeks, we'll see what happens, the cold is what caused the last 2 infections.
    Ugggh yes the colds!!! They are for sure the culprits! I sure hope you get over this one without ear complications!
  • Options

Ugggh yes the colds!!! They are for sure the culprits! I sure hope you get over this one without ear complications!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"