August 2013 Moms
Options

Black hairy tongue

So since March my son has have black hairy tongue. Dr said it should go away but it has gotten worse. It started at the middle going towards the back but now it's on the whole tongue. Dr said it's harmless but I want to get rid of it because it looks really gross. I read somewhere that a dr used some type of medicine to get rid if thrush on the black tongue and it went away. I was wondering if anyone had this issue with their baby and how did they get rid of it? I brush his tounge 2xs a day and it's not helping. I'm calling dr tomorrow to tell her it's all over the tongue now. Gross!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Black hairy tongue

• Options
    Oh my.... I've never heard of that before :-/
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    I have never heard of this before but a quick internet search brought up a few things. 

Has he been on antibiotics? Posters suggest that this caused it for their LOs. Also, if he's sick, maybe his immune system is trying hard to fight something else and causes this? 

Also, certain foods. Someone posted it happened to them because of certain fruits. 

It seems like it will clear up on its own though with time. I would call your doctor and just let him know you're concerned and wonder if there is any proactive way to get rid of it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MagPie 1986MagPie 1986 member
    edited April 2014
    MitsB707 said:

Good job, @BlondieBia21‌! Op, I have no idea. Never heard of that before.

Side note, why do you only really visit our board when you have strange questions or problems? It would be nice if you offered support to us instead of just using us constantly. Just a thought.

Eh, if my kid had a black tongue I would ask and put up a pic, too. Nbd to me.

Op, when I had thrush I treated DD too with probiotic. I just broke open the capsule and rubbed it in her mouth 3-4x/day. It's worth a shot; it couldn't hurt. I used L.acidiphilus. Good luck!

Eta this is assuming you would be treating for a fungus

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options

MitsB707 said:

Side note, why do you only really visit our board when you have strange questions or problems? It would be nice if you offered support to us instead of just using us constantly. Just a thought.

Eh, if my kid had a black tongue I would ask and put up a pic, too. Nbd to me.

Op, when I had thrush I treated DD too with probiotic. I just broke open the capsule and rubbed it in her mouth 3-4x/day. It's worth a shot; it couldn't hurt. I used L.acidiphilus. Good luck!

Eta this is assuming you would be treating for a fungus

Thanks. I will look into that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MitsB707 said:

It would be nice of You if you offer me support. You're a joke. Btw how do you know I only post here with problems? Stalk much? Get a life.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

mauied08 said:

MitsB707 said:

It would be nice of You if you offer me support. You're a joke. Btw how do you know I only post here with problems? Stalk much? Get a life.
    This will go over well.

That reply alone is enough to show you aren't on the board much. You want support for a black tongue that the doctor has already told you isn't a big deal? That makes sense. </blockquote
    Seriously I came here to find out if other mothers had their lo with this. All doctors do not give the same advice. Just wanted to know if their dr suggest other remedies that's all.
    Most of these comments have nothing to do with my question. Why does someone have to mention about me no being an active member and blah blah blah? It has nothing to do with my question and didn't have a problem being rude to me. It's a joke that she said to be "nice" and "support" us. Did she do any of that in my post? I think not.
    Why does it matter if I'm active or not? She she the post police? Is she going to give me a fine for not being active. lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mauied08 said:
    Seriously I came here to find out if other mothers had their lo with this. All doctors do not give the same advice. Just wanted to know if their dr suggest other remedies that's all. Most of these comments have nothing to do with my question. Why does someone have to mention about me no being an active member and blah blah blah? It has nothing to do with my question and didn't have a problem being rude to me. It's a joke that she said to be "nice" and "support" us. Did she do any of that in my post? I think not. Why does it matter if I'm active or not? She she the post police? Is she going to give me a fine for not being active. lol 
    It doesn't matter if she's the post police, the majority of us know TB etiquette. If you don't want to indulge, go somewhere else. You post and you'll get a response. Either take it like a champ or don't post. You've been around so I'm sure you've seen these posts before. If you didn't like what she said, ignore it. Other people gave you advice. 

• Options
    petey1106 said:

YOU GUISE!!!!
    No white-knighting or you can't sit with us anymore

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    OMG a warning that there was a picture would have been nice. I shouldn't have clicked on this while eating :-&
    Ugh I did the  same thing!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    OP:image
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"