February 2014 Moms
Options

Separation Anxiety

I hosted a women's church group at my home tonight. LO was upstairs with DH the whole time. I gave him 3 oz of breast milk to tide her over until her last feeding of the night. 1) she is now asleep and I feel extremely guilty that she did not get a bigger meal before bedtime (or her bath...or story time...or mommy snuggles). 2) I felt very anxious being away from her (even though she was only upstairs). I have left her with Both DH and MIL and left the house but I feel very anxious being separated from her. Do you ladies have any practical advice for overcoming this?

Re: Separation Anxiety

• Options
    edited April 2014
    We already kinda all talked about this, everyone is individual, some need that time to refresh/reset others feel just like you are. There is no right or wrong way to feel about leaving LO. If your that anxious maybe next time shoot DH a text or have him send you a pic or two to show you she is doing just fine :)

ETA: I'm similar to you feeling wise. I was supposed to go out Saturday but after a busy day at my nieces birthday and my DH working til 7 we decided against it. And I was 100% ok not having to leave LO and worry.
  • Options
    ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited April 2014
    Separation anxiety is very normal for all new moms. It's hard- I understand. I can't sleep even if LO is just in the next room. But unfortunately you will have to deal and adjust and keep telling yourself that LO will be fine. Plus it's great that LO is in the same space as you. You can excuse yourself and quickly go check in on him if need be. However, many moms have to go back to work leaving their babies in daycare and have been in tears the first few days. If it does seem extreme talk to your dr who can advise how to get the right kind of help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it is individual. And while I think it's perfectly "normal" to feel this way, I also know first hand that not leaving LO occasionally can backfire big time if baby doesn't get that experience early on. So personally, I feel like this is one area where I have to get over my own emotions for the child's benefit. Same as not jumping in at the playground to "help" the bigs on the climbing ladder. They have to learn for themselves but hell if it doesn't take all my willpower not to stand underneath ready to catch them! Power through a few times and it gets easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"