February 2013 Moms
Options

Really lady??

I called the pediatrician for little man's cough...Convo went a little something like this...

me: hi, this is cooper's mom. he's had a cough for a little over a week, i just wanted to see if he could come and get checked. have the doc listen to his lungs.

front desk lady: yeah, there's a cough going around. how old is cooper? about 14 months right? there's nothing she can really do for a cough, do you still want to come. I mean I can still have you come, but do you still want to come because it's just a cough and she really can't do anything for just a cough.....sooo....do you still want to come.

me: yes, because it's just a cough to my ears, but you know...pneumonia, bronchitis, croup....just saying....I would like to have him checked

front desk lady: OH I KNOW!!!! but I was just saying it's just a cough ya know...

WHAT?...

Re: Really lady??

• Options
    Reminds me of a mom in a play group I used to be in. Her daughter was hacking up a storm and she said, "Yeah, she's coughing so hard at night that she's throwing up, but I'm not going to take her to the doctor because there's nothing they can do for a cough." Meanwhile, I was sitting there with my 3 week old DD2 who was obviously not yet vaxed, thinking just what you said - bronchitis, pneumonia, croup, whooping cough...
    But, yeah, it's cool, bring your sick kid to play group where there are also 2 new infants.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    O... k? People can be so strange! DS has a cough right now, too. I've started him on vitamin C yesterday and it seems to be helping a lot. He's still not feeling great, though :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ummm...wow... I might mention something to the ped when I went in for the appointment; luckily you're smart enough to know there is a possibility of something else going on and still take your LO in, but other parents might just take her word for it, and as a receptionist she doesn't have the authority to say stuff like that IMO.
    ~FTM~SAHM~EBF~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Hahaha...what a weird way to handle it.  I always love when the receptionist gives medical advice.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• Options
    Our doc says not to worry until the cough has been there 7-10 days and isn't getting better.  We are in there often thanks to asthma but our office knows I don't bring my kids in for the heck of it.  My mom gut has told me something is wrong and every single time there has been something wrong.  Having a kid who has had bronchiloitis, pnemonia, and multiple asthma attacks - I say trust your gut and get that cough checked out.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"