Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

+ on expired wondfo? Long and stupid question.

Ok. I'm fully expecting flames for this, and I probably deserve it, but I'm hoping to get some opinions too. Google is just no help here. I know I haven't been back here long, but I have been participating so hopefully you guys recognize me.

Would you put any stock in wondfos that expired last December? I've taken some them here and there, mostly because dipping sticks is fun and I have them to burn. I've only ever turned up stark white on them.

Yesterday, I was looking at my chart, and felt like there were three dates that I *possibly* could have O'd. One of them would put me at 11dpo. I'm not putting that much faith in my temps, because I'm BFing and cosleeping with a 10 month old and rarely meet the typical criteria for taking an accurate temperature. Anyway, I dipped a wondfo yesterday and got a very faint, but pink line. I didn't really look at it until quite awhile after the time frame though. So I took another one before bed, and after about 5 min got a little darker of a line. Hmm.

This morning with fmu I turned 3 positive before the dye was even done going across. Not super dark, but not squinters. I also took an opk because I've read they will usually turn up positive if you're pregnant and got a glaring positive.

I dipped another wondfo in water to see if it would come up with a line, and nothing. Obviously I'm going to go get an frer today, but was just curious if you guys think those tests could still be accurate. I'm trying not to get excited, but, lines!

TL;DR: I turned a bunch of expired wondfos positive. Would it be stupid to think they could be accurate?

Also, if I get a BFP on an frer, I have no intention of posting a BFP here. I hope this doesn't come off as a drive by, or an " Am I pregnant?" post. Just curious about what happens to hpts after expiration.

Re: + on expired wondfo? Long and stupid question.

• Options
    I wouldn't put stock into an expired test. I'd definitely retest with new.
  • Options
    I would just retest and not give much thought to the expired tests, no use in getting yourself hyped up. Good luck on your frer test!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kelseypiekelseypie member
    edited April 2014

Expired tests = Unreliable. 

You could be pregnant. You could be not pregnant. I have no idea. They could be accurate, they could be a hot mess.

If you're planning to get a FRER to confirm........I don't understand the point of the question?
    I guess no real point. Just curious if anybody had any experience with expired tests or knew what happens to them after they expire. Like, if they're just not as sensitive, or the dye dries up or someshit. I know. Dumb question, dumb situation to put myself in with using them in the first place. I almost hit back instead of clicking post and probably should have just done that.

Meh. I brought Tom Hiddleston!

ETA: Added words.

• Options
    If they just expired in December, I would be willing to bet they're fine.  Wondfos likely have a longer shelf life than yogurt.  Pee on something unexpired soon and good luck. 
  • Options
    Mine expired in December as well.  I have used them here and there just in case anyway.  I cannot imagine that they quickly lose their efficacy the month they expire.  That's just my opinion though:)  And I would also think an expired not working properly test would give a neg result due to breakdown of test, ya know?  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Tests expire for a reason. Get a new test and try again.
    Me: 30 DH 28
    TTC since March 2013
    DH, SA normal count, slow swimmers
    NTNP as of 7/1/14
    Back to TTC as of 8/2014
    1st RE appointment October 2014, everything looks good both of us healthy and normal
    Clomid and IUI first cycle November 2014:BFN 
    Clomid and IUI December 20, 2014: BFP 1/4/15!!

Untitled

• Options
    Nope your not the only one @Pintobean39‌
    Me: 30 DH 28
    TTC since March 2013
    DH, SA normal count, slow swimmers
    NTNP as of 7/1/14
    Back to TTC as of 8/2014
    1st RE appointment October 2014, everything looks good both of us healthy and normal
    Clomid and IUI first cycle November 2014:BFN 
    Clomid and IUI December 20, 2014: BFP 1/4/15!!

Untitled

• Options
    @KateRN08‌, I just dipped an frer and one of the wondfos (just for comparison!) and the wondfo is way lighter than this morning, like barely there. I'm calling the frer negative. If I hold it a bunch of different ways I can *maybe* see the faintest of lines, but definitely not enough to say positive. I'm going to take the other one in the morning when my pee isn't so diluted.

• Options
    I am curious now about expired tests. How do expired tests behave differently from unexpired ones? Why do they expire? (I am googling now, but couldn't find the answer in the, like, twenty seconds that I gave myself to look. If I find it I will post a response to my own question, lol.)
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    From what I can scan on the internet, (and we all know Internet doesn't lie) out of date tests are more likely to give false negatives than false positives, because the reactant that dyes the test becomes...unreacting. I would be cautious about getting too optimistic though. A few false positives on my end have caused a world of upset.

Overall I agree with the pp. Tests expire for a reason, and tests have time limits for a reason. For my own sanity, I would only count a line if I saw it (1) on a test that is not expired, (2) within the time limit, and (3) without squinting, twisting, or taking a picture and tweaking. Also, I agree with @KateRN08 -- good luck in the morning, and let us know how it goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • Options
    dammit, a friend just gave me a bunch that expired in March.  
    Guess I will chuck them.  grr.  

Monster #1- Hunter Fillmore! 10.1.11
     MC 3.20.14 -- 8w3d
    MC 7.11.14-- 5w4d
    Monsterette #2- EDD  5.9.15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"