February 2014 Moms
Options

WOW! She's SO big!

Anyone else get these comments from people? It doesn't bother me because they are saying she looks bigger than her age, but it's gotten kinda annoying. We go for our 3 month this Friday and I'm going to ask DR about it (since they see babies all the time) and obv they will do her percentile stuff. Last time she was like 50% for weight and 70/80 for head and length. Doesn't seem stark to me, but as a FTM, what do I know?

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014

Re: WOW! She's SO big!

• Options
    eg214eg214 member
    @tyrannosaurusLex - LMAO. Geezus. I've taken care of babies and kids from birth on and I don't think I could look at a baby, ask their age, and judge their size. I have no clue what a 12 week old is "supposed" to look like to these people.

PCOS // Loss 3/2010 // Single Mom // Natural Birth // DC Metro // Baby Girl Born 2/2/2014
  • Options
    eg214eg214 member
    Asking the doc if she's big for her age. Not about people saying something.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get the small but big head comments. I usually reply with a smart ass answer nowadays. People are dumb. Your baby is perfect!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Today at church I got told how big and how tiny LO is. People don't know what to say.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I get the opposite - he's so small.  

Like @rosiepeare said, someone has to be on both ends of the growth charts.  
  • Options
    Oh, and the not worrying about being "too big" till three thing? That's the recommendation from some of the top pediatricians and pediatric researchers in the US and Canada.

image image
  • Options
    OP if you are just venting about people's comments it's one thing but I don't really see the point beyond that. I agree with pp that there is nothing to be gained by asking the dr. I mean what are you going to do different if LO is above or below average? The dr will measure and if anything is not in expected range will let you know. Also big and small are relative as mentioned in the earlier post. I think my LO is getting too big already (because mom) while my DH thinks he is too small ( because man and big). Same thing with people, they come from their own expectations of what a baby should be and comment accordingly so just ignore and move on.
  • Options

I would love a "so big" comment. I get "she's so tiny" with a judgmental face that indicates I shouldn't have her out in the world yet. Because small.

This is me also!! I'm so over the "she's so tiny" comments with judgey faces.

Then when people ask me if she was premature, I think to myself "why does it matter? It's really none of your business how or when my child came into this world." But I just say "yeah" instead. They don't need an explanation. I could care less what other people think of my little but perfect daughter.
  • Options
    People see babies and they just start saying weird random shit because baby. It doesn't stop even when your kid is old enough to understand what they're saying. People are always commenting on how little DD2 is--we tell them she's small but mighty, because she is. Don't take it personally--it sounds like your LO is doing great.
  • Options
    MamaAllisonMamaAllison member
    edited April 2014
    I'm cranky because alarm and back to work but, do you know what percentiles mean? And totally not a brag but my kid is way bigger and I am not concerned in the least.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    People in general just have no clue they just say stupid stuff. I had a lady come up and say "she's so beautiful" when his shirt said "handsome like daddy" I wouldn't worry about if people think your baby is big because clueless. My LO is big but he's been in the same percentile the whole time I just don't like when people say I'm over feeding him.

BFP #1 11/01/12 M/C 12/22/12 @11w4d

BFP #2 06/04/13 DS born 02/08/14

• Options
    I agree with pp there really isn't anything to ask the dr about. She sounds like she's healthy and growing. And people really don't know what to say. My LO is in the 90th percentile for weight, height and length (just like his dad was) and I get all kind of "huge" comments. Just last week I got (from a complete stranger) "Holy crap his head is soooo big! Did you have a vaginal birth?!?). And from a family member, "He is too big. You must be feeding him too much. You better start feeding him less or he is going to be obese when he is older." Are you freaking kidding me? But I'm not worried about it at all. He is happy and healthy and has genes to be a big boy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    FYI - comments on your kid's size won't stop anytime soon. When DD was born she was a "peanut" (her pedi called her that for the first year). Growing well but in the 10-15% for her age. Now at 5 she's off the charts for height and all I hear is "OH. EM. GEE. she's only 5?!!1! She's soooo tall!!!11!"

If your kid is growing and thriving then who cares what people say?

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    eg214eg214 member
    But you already said you know her percentiles are average or in the bigger than average range...I just don't get what there is to ask? Tell me again how my daughter is average to somewhat above average for size?
    That was two months ago, at her 1 month appointment. We didn't have a 2 month appt because we were out of state for 5 weeks. I'm guessing her percentiles may have decreased or increased on one end of the spectrum in 2 months...hence asking.

• Options
    eg214eg214 member
    I never said I was WORRIED about her. Just curious if she really is SO BIG for her age like everyone likes to comment. I know she is healthy so I'm not concerned if she is too small or a giant. I was just wondering if anyone else seemed to get the same comments the second they step out the door from everyone in sight. As others posted, people are dumb and I'm bound to endure comments of all kinds for the next 53805380 years.

• Options
    My response when some moron opens there mouth about my baby's size.... Whether it be small, long, string beanish..... " nope he's perfect" and smile and walk away! I have honestly probably heard it all! It's not worth getting worked up over....
  • Options
    Lol thanks @Sakura0019‌ my point was just that baby's come in ALL shapes and sizes :) this LO is on a different curve then DS3.. It's really NBD.
  • Options
    megash113 said:

eg214 said:

I was just wondering if anyone else seemed to get the same comments the second they step out the door from everyone in sight. As others posted, people are dumb and I'm bound to endure comments of all kinds for the next 53805380 years.

Right. Which is why people complain about this on TB all. the. time. It's the new "everyone is saying my bump is too big/small!"

People are stupid. We established this a long time ago.
    Except for F14 we have all the brains right? ;)
  • Options
    Do we need to have a lesson about how percentiles work and what they mean?

If it'll prevent me from getting irritated as hell every time someone freaks out because they had an appointment and their baby is at the 95th or 30th or whatever, I'll do it.

image image
  • Options
    @RhondaHitchhiker‌ I'll help! I bet we could get @keags5496‌ in on it too!!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Meghan14Meghan14 member
    edited April 2014
    megash113 said:
    Today at church I got told how big and how tiny LO is. People don't know what to say.
    Exactly this. People don't always know what to say and they feel like they have to say something. When people call LO tiny (which he's not) and ask if I'm worried, I make a comment that he would be bigger if he just learned how to eat the food I set out for him every night.
    ok, must start this.  People constantly comment on how tiny LO is.  I never know if they just mean all babies are tiny, or him especially.  I guess both are true.  He's in the 2nd percentile, so it makes me kinda sad when they say it.  But Dr isn't worried AT ALL, so I try to get over it quickly.

mrszee2b said:
    "People see babies and they just start saying weird random shit because baby. It doesn't stop even when your kid is old enough to understand what they're saying. People are always commenting on how little DD2 is--we tell them she's small but mighty, because she is. Don't take it personally--it sounds like your LO is doing great"

I have started going with "small but strong, maybe he'll be a wrestler."

OP: Just remember big at this age is healthy.  You are doing a great job and your LO is perfect and beautiful!

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"