C-sections
Options

Number of safe csections??

I just had my 3rd csection and my OB said 4 is really the maximum recommended but he would really recommend stopping at 3. We would like to have at least one more baby but not if it is going to jeopardize mine or a baby's health. How many csections have you had and/or feel comfortable having? For those that have had more than 3, did you have any complications more than with previous sections?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Number of safe csections??

• Options
    My ob never really said that he had a cap, just that he'd like at least 18 months (preferably 2 years) between births.  Sorry ,no real help here.
  • Options
    I have only had 2 c sections but had a talk with my Dr. about how many she felt was ok.  She was comfortable with 4 provided every thing was fine after #3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm about to have my 4th c/s and a little nervous about it although this pregnancy too had no complications.
    After my first one, one of the doctors I see said I could go on to have 7 c/s if i wanted to. Another in the group is now encouraging me to get a tubal and be done at 4 because of the risk. Not so much an actual 5th c/s but more potential uterus and scar tissue problems for the pregnancy. There was a year wait between each kid before pregnant again.
    Married my best friend on 5/14/05
    Three Girls: Bits 2/08  Biscuit 10/09 & Sweet Chuck 2/12
    One Favorite son: Suishy Smalls 6/14
    And another Princess coming 7/16
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Kim22Kim22 member
    My OB tells me after each CS whether or not she would recommend another. She said some patients are told to stop after 2 and others can easily have 6. She suggests always waiting a year to TTC again. I have had 3 and she gave me the ok for another (now I just need the ok from DH.) I will probably have a tubal if we go for #4.
  • Options
    I'm going to be having my fourth c-section in November & am worrying about things I never worried about before..rupture, bleeding, etc...I never worried as I just wasn't really aware of the risks I guess....they will be checking the location of my placenta at my 18 week ultrasound & then again at 28'ish weeks.....hopefully it isn't anywhere near my scar....praying everything goes smoothly..this will be our last baby.
    ~Jen
    Married since 8.17.03
    Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

• Options
    I'm definitely done with #3, and my doctor agreed that it's probably a good idea.
  • Options

I just had my 3rd csection and my OB said 4 is really the maximum recommended but he would really recommend stopping at 3. We would like to have at least one more baby but not if it is going to jeopardize mine or a baby's health. How many csections have you had and/or feel comfortable having? For those that have had more than 3, did you have any complications more than with previous sections?

This is EXACTLY where we are... I opted not to get the tubal at my third c section last Tuesday and requested that my dr tell me how he feels about a fourth at my two week check- which is Monday. I know it sounds weird but physically I know we should be done, mentally I'm there too I don't want to risk my health or a child's especially when we have been blessed with three healthy beautiful children. But emotionally I'm not there I can't picture my newest being my last...

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    Both my docs said 5 was the max they have done and it really depends on the person after each section for deciding whether another one is relatively safe. If my doctor said everything looked pretty good after 3, I would consider a 4th but am prepared to not be able to make that decision until we get to that point...
  • Options
    I just had my second section. My doctor said I can have a third, but that the risks will greatly increase if I ever need a fourth.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • Options
    I asked my Dr and he said that it depends but at his practice they tend to tell you to stop after 5 ( although he personally has done more).  After my third, my Dr said he didn't see a problem with me having another one.
  • Options
    If all goes well I will have my 4th csection in December. I'm pretty anxious to hear where the placenta is located and how things look. My former OB was very supportive of me having a 4th, but he left my practice. Now I have a new OB. She says she we will be proactive and prepared. This will be my last. My new OB has done as many as 5 sections, but we feel like 4 is pushing it as is. I will be having a tubal with this delivery.
  • Options
    byrne15byrne15 member

I'm having my 3rd section in December.  My OB said I'm a good candidate for multiple sections due to the easy of the previous surgeries, scarring, organ location, etc.

I will be stopping after this one, but she said she had done up to 6 on the same person.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I asked during my 3rd section about how my uterus looked for a possible 4th.  My doc said everything looked great, and he would have no problems doing a 4th section on me.  That being said, my doc said I heal better than most ppl.  I'm sure it depends on the person and the doctor, but I've heard of women having 5+ sections easily.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If you happen to have an anterior placenta with the next pregnancy the risk of complications goes up . You can't predict if that will happen . I know of someone who had s low anterior placenta after only 1 c section but it seemed to be ok this time . But the risk of accreta is specifically a major concern . if you decide to google it beware it is scary . the risk of it does go up with each c section . If you do get accreta there is 7 percent maternal death rate .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"