March 2013 Moms

Anyone caved on tv yet?

After months and months and months of arguing with my mother in law (she is dumb) I finally caved and just let him watch tv at her house. Anyone else give up :/ ?

Re: Anyone caved on tv yet?

• I feel like it's a losing battle.... My mom actually made fun of me, MIL sees no prob with TV, and DH seems to like it on for background. But I SAH and never turn it on during the day... So that's something. The most screen time he gets from me are little sing along videos, which I'll sing and motion/dance whatnot with him.
  • I have it on for background noise lately, but DD couldn't care less about actually watching TV.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry you had to battle your MIL for so long, it's really frustrating that she won't respect your wishes. We try to keep the tv off but did show LO a few Daniel Tiger episodes. He was only interested in the songs, otherwise didn't really pay attention. And like pp, he was sooo fussy when he had strep that we just snuggled on the couch and watched movies for a couple days.
  • With 2 older sisters, DS has "watched TV" since birth. But, it's not on that long and he rarely pays attention to it. The only time it gets his attention is when there is a dog or cat on screen and he gets excited and wants to pet it.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We have the TV on for a few hours each weekend.  DD sort of watches it, but usually she just runs around like a crazy person.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD watches kids videos on DH's phone from time to time, but doesn't really watch TV - mainly because we don't even get the TV on until after she goes to bed most nights.  I have started turning the TV to PBS on Saturday mornings when it's 7am and DD is trying to wake us up...sometimes it will capture her interest long enough for us to snooze for another 30 minutes, but it doesn't always work. :)
  • mel8255mel8255 member
    Not sure if AT&T Uverse is in your area, but they have a BabyTV channel (330).  Every cable provider should have one now.  My DD is absolutely enthralled by it - they recycle their "skits" every couple hours and she recognizes the ones she likes. It really is amazing.  Every baby I have seen watch it for the first time, is completely mesmerized.  

I say don't sweat the small stuff - because TV isn't the worst thing - just try finding something that will benefit your son along the way.  But MILs suck - all the way around.
  • smfdjosmfdjo member
    I have it in as background noise. Most times he doesn't care but he likes to dance when music comes on.
  • tig594tig594 member
    I very rarely watch TV and if I do watch something it happens to be when DD is already sleeping.  I don't even have DISH anymore (the only option where I live) because it just wasn't worth the money.  On the off chance the TV is on DD ignores it.  She's more interested in getting into things she's not supposed to or interacting with me or the cat.  
  • erinmc1erinmc1 member
    smfdjo said:
    I have it in as background noise. Most times he doesn't care but he likes to dance when music comes on.
    This.  When I was staying home while my hubby was deployed, I never turned it on, except for one or two times when I'd put on a Disney musical when I absolutely needed a distraction.  Now that he's home, we have it on quite a bit, and J plays independently while we watch, and only pays attention when he hears a song he likes.
  • Well, hubby let him watch some of the soccer for the world cup and now he is obsessed.  As soon as he enters the room with a TV he grunts to watch it.  He only watches it when DH is watching him.  Heaven forbid DH had to get down and play with DS on the floor with toys.  Oh well.  At least the majority if the time he isn't getting TV.  I just don't like how obsessed he gets with it.

;

• I wasn't planning on having a tv in the girls room but my fiancé put one in their room once he found out I was pregnant. The only time they actually watch tv is when I have it on. It is very helpful to keep them distracted when I'm trying to clean though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"