Third-Party Reproduction

Intro and need advice

Hi there, my name's Rae and I'm hopefully going to be a gestational carrier for my aunt. I started Lupron injections 3 days ago and they are much easier to take than I thought they would be! I am still nervous about the progesterone injections though :/

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about embryo transfer. They told my aunt they could transfer 1 or 2 of the embryo's and that was up to her, my aunt says the decision can be mine. I am afraid of having twins because I have bile reflux disease (which is like acid reflux disease only much harder to control and more painful during pregnancy). We can only do a transfer once or possibly twice due to scheduling. I am nervous about twins and a very painful pregnancy, but I am almost more nervous about this not working because I decided on only transferring one. I don't really know what to do. I think she wants to transfer both, but knowing about my condition and the possibility of twins she has left the choice up to me. Any advice? Are twins even common enough for me to be worrying this much about it?

Thanks for any advice!
imageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Intro and need advice

• My advice is never to sign up for more babies than you want and/or are willing to carry. Period. My doctor says, essentially, if one will stick *usually* both will stick - she never allowed me to transfer 2 because our embryo quality was fine, and she felt that whether we did two now, or one at a time, we'd still end up with two kids (if we were going to end up with two kids). So, my two cents is that you are doing a beautiful thing for your aunt, and also to please take care of yourself. Also there are a lot more complications/risk factors with twin pregnancies besides your condition, so it's not a decision to take lightly.

You sound like you much prefer to transfer 1, and I think that you should listen to your heart!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I agree with 2Mamaz! I am currently PG with twins and while I'm excited about it and wouldn't change it for the world, there are definitely times I wish I'd only transferred one embryo. As for the progesterone injections, they're definitely not fun but they weren't as bad as I expected. The hardest part was that I had to give them to myself (DH is squeamish) and I'm not super flexible! lol

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the previous ladies comments. If you're worried about twins, I'd definitely choose a single embryo. And I applaud you for doing such a selfless thing to help your aunt build a family. :)

************ Signature/Ticker Warning ************
    Me (32) DH (36) - Finding our way to baby #1
    Me: POF/DOR - AMH <0.16, heterozygous c677t MTHFR, insulin resistant and gluten intolerant
    DH: Severe MFI

12/2/11 - IUI #1- BFN 
    8/1/12 - IVF #1 - Zero response from max stims (600iu intramuscularly)

My ovaries are just for decoration

12/6/12 - Adopted five embryos that had been frozen for over ten years!
    2/11/13 - DEmbryo FET #1 Thawed four, sadly two didn't survive. Transferred two beautiful blasts. 
    2/16/13 - First BFP of my life @ 6dp5dt! EDD 10/30/13
    3/27/13 - After beta and u/s hell, no heartbeat ever detected. D&C at 9w1d.

6/5/13 - Adopted four new embryos that had been frozen for seven years!

9/12/13 - DEmbryo FET #2. Thawed and transferred two beautiful blasts
    9/17/13 - BFP @ 5dp6dt! EDD 05/31/14
    9/29/13 - m/c @ 5w1d. :(

11/19/13 - DEmbryo FET #3. Thawed and transferred one blast from each batch. Wow!
    11/23/13 - BFP @ 4dp6dt! EDD 8/7/13
    Beta #1 @ 13dp6dt - 522  Beta #2 @ 16dp6dt - 1373 
    6w5d ultrasound showed one perfect baby with a beautiful heartbeat of 134bpm!

Snowflake baby is a girl! 
    Our beautiful Snowflake girl arrived on July 22, 2014!   
    My embryo adoption blog: Wishing on a Snowflake

image      image 
  • Thanks for all of the input. I am definitely considering just one embryo, I just hope it works!
  • I carried my own twins so I knew what I was signing up for when I agreed to transfer 2 for my FIP's.  While I knew the risks, I was relieved that only 1 stuck (it was their only shot so I was hoping to give them 2 kids but for myself I was relieved).  Are the embryos frozen?  If it's a fresh cycle, they wouldn't have the ER yet and you may not know the quality of the embies, they may all be beautiful or they may not be stellar, that'll help make the decision too.  Definitely don't transfer more than you're willing to carry or your aunt is willing to parent.  May I ask why she's only able to do 1 or 2 cycles?  

The PIO isn't bad at all IMO.  The needle is scary but it really didn't hurt much (and I'm a big wuss).  I leaned over the sofa to take all weight off of 1 side and had DH stick that side.  Stick the PIO vial in your bra for 10-15 minutes to warm the oil, it'll go in easier if it's warmer.

GL to you and her.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Twin pregnancies are HARD even without per existing issues. What you are doing for your aunt is amazing and if you are only comfortable transferring 1 embryo then you should feel good about your decision.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What you are doing for your aunt is wonderful.  It sounds like you have good reason to transfer just one.
  • You are an amazing person for being willing to carry for your aunt!  :)  The PIO for me sucked.  Really. Bad.  But I know plenty of people who didn't think it was a big deal. My advice is to ice the spot you'll be sticking for a minute before and rub it super hard for at least two minutes after.  This is what helped me the most.  

Our RE told us that if 1 sticks, both will stick.  We decided twins freaked us out - parenting them and carrying them.  The risk factors being pg with twins alone scared me.  I also have a condition that could *possibly* be exasperated by being pg with twins so we decided to only transfer one.  I'm really glad it is what we decided to do.  Personally, I would think of your own health first, after all, if you aren't healthy, you won't be able to carry a pg.  :)
    *****siggy*****
    Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
    DH: 35 (no male factor)
    3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
    3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
    7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
    7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
    4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
    Planning for FET 7/14

• Welcome to the group!!
    I am 2x Surro & with everyone when they say don't put in more then you want to carry. Allot comes when you carry twins & not just health wise also taking care of your own family as well. With with what you have i can totally see why you want to avoid twins. Don't feel bad for only wanting to put in one at a time, I know lots of people who got PG off of a SET.
    Wishing you & your aunt the Best of Luck!!!
  • Thanks for the great advice with the injections! I definitely feel more comfortable with them knowing there are things I can do to make them easier. 

To answer some questions: 1) They are frozen embryo's that she adopted from a nice couple through an agency, every transfer they had took and they had three kids no problem. I think only transferring one each time. All that said I think they are healthy embryo's. 2) (this is a long one, lol) We can't do more than one or maybe two transfers because we are trying to get this done before I graduate college. She originally had to delay the whole process because she wanted to adopt embryo's from a friend and there were some legal problems with the paperwork that took months to sort out. She ended up giving up on trying to get embryo's from someone she knew and got some through this agency that still took 3 months to get all the paperwork done. Now I am one year away from graduating with my degree and I would like to be done with the surrogacy by the time I get out so I am not pregnant when trying to get my new job started. We are working around her schedule and my school schedule as I am ending this spring semester and going into a very full summer semester, after Summer I will not be able to try anymore. We both thought this process would go much faster (and thankfully now it is) so we didn't think it would cut this close to graduation for me.

After researching more and asking you ladies I am definitely going to ask for just 1 embryo at a time. I feel much more comfortable with that decision now and will talk to her at the appointment Wednesday, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"