October 2012 Moms
Options

talking/# words

DS's 18 month old appointment is today and I'm sure the doctor will ask about his talking and number of words he uses (he did at our 14 month appointment).  DS really only says dad and night-night.  He's used a few other words like down, and out once or twice but never consistently.  Any other kiddos going slow at using words?  He understands a lot of what we say because he responds to it and he jabbers a lot but just nothing we understand yet!

Happy Friday!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: talking/# words

• Options
    My DD is the same, like your LO she also babbles and understands but doesn't say much. In the last 2 weeks she just started to use Daddy consistently.  She has about 6 words- Daddy, bye, no, stop, sometimes hello (but only into a phone) and a "ba" sound for belly button. 

We just had her 18 month appointment Wed, my doctor said she's average for speech and he's not concerned.  He said she's above average in coordination (running, climbing, jumping) so that's probably where her focus has been.  Which is exactly how I see her (she's very physical) so it felt good to know we agree on that.
  • Options
    Also- I do see DD making progress, I would be more concerned if I didn't see that.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We're in the same boat. Like you, they say words out of the blue, but then they never say them consistently. Like yesterday Julie picked up something dirty and I said "yucky" and then she said "yucky" plain as day, but I can't get her to say it again. I know they *can* say things so I don't worry one bit, and neither should you!

• Options
    Yes ds is not speaking many English words yet. Mostly gibber gabbet. Pedi said no concerns yet.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS only says a handful of words, hi, momma, dadda, out and hot. He does occasionally give us another word but he has no interest in talking.  Our pedi didn't seem to concerned since he is talking a few words and definitly understand what we are saying
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD isn't very verbal. She knows words and will parrot when she feels like it, but she mainly communicates through pointing and saying me me me me me me me me me me. You can give her simple instructions and she understands and follows through, so I know she knows words. Pedi said they'll all tumble out eventually.
  • Options
    pb_bridepb_bride member
    edited April 2014
    We haven't have our 18m appt yet (DS is 17.5m right now). He had zero words at 15m.  Now he has 5 words (up, down, uh-oh, duck, cat - in Chinese), and 4-5 animal sounds.  I've been teaching him sign language for the past few months and he learns them SO FAST!  He knows about 3 dozen signs and signs them correctly.  We are bilingual FWIW.

My pedi wasn't concerned at all at 15m when I said he had no words.  He said he wouldn't worry until DS turns 2.  I'll bring it up again at 18m appt and see.  DS is definitely learning to say words but just very slowly.  He does babble and the past day or two is showing interests in making more sounds.  I am on the fence whether to call EI at 18m.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    CnAnACnAnA member
    I could be completely wrong but dont bilingual kids tend to talk later but understand both languages?

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    CnAnA said:
    I could be completely wrong but dont bilingual kids tend to talk later but understand both languages?
    I have heard this too.
  • Options
    CnAnA said:
    I get lots of anecdotal stories about bilingual children talking later, but according to official websites on bilingualism, they all say that it is not the case (ie, bilingual kids talk within the normal expected time frame). I know DS understands both languages he's spoken to.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    CnAnACnAnA member
    Silly @BrooketheCat. Don't you know rumor and old wives tales are far more accurate than actual studies??? ;) LOL. Thanks for setting me straight!

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies!  Our appointment went well - no concerns - and this time the pedi didn't even ask how many words he knows.  He was more focused on that early autism questionnaire they give you.  I think @Wanderingstars23 said it best with "I think sometimes I feel like DD is behind because some of the kids on this board are freaking prodigies."  I read about others having more words and see others in his class at daycare with more words and worry at times!   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh heck yes it's hard @BandEddie!  My kid won't even say bye bye! Sometimes I'll get a wave. He's mastered dad though - yet mom is not even muttered! He babbles and tries to "read" books but man would I die for a word or two to come out soon!  Although ask me in a few months and maybe I'll want him to go back to being non-verbal. lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @jfrancois he will get there soon. Wesley still babbled a lot and I understand some of it.

Also if @cnana came pass on some of her potty training dust I will totally take that!
    :P

• Options
    CnAnACnAnA member
    @BandEddie I rarely get that anymore. Jerk. ;)

@StefanieM522‌ sending all the dust! ;) She still has no issue sitting in a wet diaper. But hell hath no fury like my kid when she accidentally poops her diaper.

Oct Angel Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"