Special Needs

Am I crazy for considering this? Summer camp question.

Hi All, 

I'm in the process of signing DD1 (6 years old, ADHD, SPD) up for summer camps, and there's one with a theme that I think she would love (in addition to swimming and outdoor activities, they're going to spend the week decorating their classroom like a coral reef), but I'm worried that it might be too long of a day. The camp is a week long, and it runs from 8-6. She did fine with the 5-hour camps last summer. The age range is 6-9, so DD would be one of the younger kids. I'm pretty sure she could handle 8 hours, but I'm not sure about 10. 

I know there are several other kindie moms on the board--how do your LOs do with long days? Anyone else trying to figure out summer camps? TIA!

Re: Am I crazy for considering this? Summer camp question.

• I know none of you know my kid :) I'm just wondering how those of us with less resilient kiddos are handling the summer. Do you push them a bit more to help build resilience for the school year, or do you give them a break?
  • Spooko said:
    I should add, though, that he's probably close to being able to do it, but it's such a toss-up on if he'll be able to or not depending on that week or day or whatever and it's quite expensive so it scares me to just chance it.

@Spooko -- yeah, cost is definitely a consideration. I know she does great with half-day camps, and that's what I was planning to sign her up for. The theme of this one sounded like something she would totally love, though, so I'm really tempted.

@fredalina -- I think that's a good question. I'm trying to envision the worst-case scenario: epic meltdown or passing out from exhaustion in the corner are probably the most likely to happen. I think they have some chill out time built into the day, but I'll have to find out the specifics.
  • Loading the player...
  • d.fd.f member
    I think It's worth a try. So far I have my DS in two half day camps. Honestl cost was the factor I wanted to do two weeks and half days were cheaper. I think he can handle full days. I'm going to look into having him do one full day a week at rec center camp. (I SAH so I'm not paying for every day). I do agree that the worse case scenario is worth the risk for something she loves.

DS 09/2008

• Thanks everyone! I have to mull it over for a couple of days.
  • Our child began attending a week long summer camp the summer after kindergarten.  It is sponsored by the local park board and runs 8-5:30.  I told them of his disabilities ahead of time so they made sure to have an extra staff member around for him.  He absolutely loved it but mid-morning on the last day I got a call to come get him because he was done.  He begged all year long to go back though and we've done it each summer since.  The staff all know him well now and he has survived the entire time since.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• light52 said:
    Our child began attending a week long summer camp the summer after kindergarten.  It is sponsored by the local park board and runs 8-5:30.  I told them of his disabilities ahead of time so they made sure to have an extra staff member around for him.  He absolutely loved it but mid-morning on the last day I got a call to come get him because he was done.  He begged all year long to go back though and we've done it each summer since.  The staff all know him well now and he has survived the entire time since.

@light52 --thanks! I'm leaning toward holding off one more year for the full day camp. The half-day camps are for 5-7 year olds ( vs. 6-9 year olds), and DD's emotional maturity is about a year behind her age, so I feel like it would be more beneficial to her social skills to be with kids around her age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"