3rd Trimester

Induction at 39 weeks

I'm being induced next Thursday at 39 weeks. Last night at the hospital they told me my daughter is only measuring about 35 weeks in my ultrasound. I'm 80% effaced and dialated 1/2 to 1 cm. I'm so nervous. They told me she might not be getting the nutrients she needs. But the ultrasound can also be off a pound? I don't fully understand and I'm a first time mom.So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Fayetteville Arkansas and going to Washington Regional.

Re: Induction at 39 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • I personally would want more answers...and want an early induction as a total last resort if they see it necessary...or if IUGR is present.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Serenitymay8Serenitymay8 member
    edited April 2014
    Whats IUGR stand for? The doctor last night said she was perfectly healthy and sounded great on the monitor. She also told me that she could just be small. Monday I have to go back to triage so they can monitor her one more time. And im never going to see my doctor again. Dr. Clouatre at Creekside in Johnson. He was doing a check to see if i was dialated and then he supposedly had to check to see if it was her head 3 times it was rediculus. The first time he checked he said yep thats her head and two seconds later let me see if thats her head. like are you serious you just said yep thats her head. It was terrible. So i talked to a dr last night at the emergency room and she is going to deliver my daughter and induce me thursday especially if she isnt getting the nutrients she needs. And no she has never measured behind she has always been on schedule doing great.
  • If she has never measured behind and is doing great, then why is there a concern that she isn't getting enough nutrients? None of this makes sense.

IUGR = Intra-uterine growth restriction. I don't know much about it beyond that one of the diagnostics is a baby measuring less than the 10th percentile. They can induce early for that diagnosis. But that's not something that would just randomly appear out of nowhere.

You really need to ask more questions and not leave your appointment on Monday until things are clear because this doesn't add up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ok, first of all, who told you your DD was measuring small? An ER doc? An OB?

I'd be very hesitant to induce based on one u/s, as there is a level of human error involved. If you haven't consistently been measuring small, which I'm assuming is the case, then there's not really any need to induce.

I was diagnosed with IUGR, my DD consistently measured between the 4-5th percentile. I had several ultrasounds and was monitored the entire pregnancy before ultimately being induced at 38 weeks because her weight was estimated at 4lbs.

Why are you just now deciding not to go with your OB? I find it hard to believe that him not being able to determine if it's a head is worthy of changing OBs this late in the game.

This whole thing is just bizarre.

imageimageimage

• thank you. im going to ask monday. i think if there was anything wrong tho my dr would have told me during the tests but he told me i have nothing wrong with her and shes healthy as a horse. but im also never seeing tht dr again. so ya.
  • It was an er dr. that told me she was measuring 35 weeks instead of 38 weeks. And there was no reason for my o/b to have to check for her head 3 times since the first time he checked he said yep thats her head. And the hospital told me he did a membrane sweep when he did that without telling me and my consent.
  • It sounds like your baby has intrauterine growth restriction. When they say nothing is wrong, I am guessing they mean genetically. ..As in your baby is probably just small because he or she is not getting the nutrients...perhaps because your placenta is not functioning appropriately. This is likely why they want to deliver you. Especially with you being term.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • I wouldn't trust an ER doctor to decide you need to induce. DD was borderline IUGR (12th% overall! but her belly measured less than 2nd%). My OB never told me nothing was wrong, they told me she was stable and sent me for BPPs, NSTs and cord dopplers twice a week before inducing at 39w3d. Turns out she was just small and has consistently been around 10th% since birth.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I had to go to the hospital cause i was bleeding and she didnt move for like 4 hours.
  • she was an ob dr. on call for labor and delivery i wasnt in the er i was in labor and delivery in washington regional.
  • boymomstrongboymomstrong member
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like your looking for us all to say "sure its ok go have your induction!" 
    I know the end of pregnancy sucks, but baby will come when baby is ready! Dont rush you could cause more issues...

On the off chance something may be wrong I would be calling for an emergency visit to my OB, and NO ONE can force you to be induced if you really dont want one....

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Look all i did was ask advice and ive answered questions yall have asked me. If you have no advice and nothing positive to say then stay off the page. Im just asking for advice im only 20 and going to be a single mom. My dr. is having me come in tomorrow for observation and to monitor my daughter and then were going to go from there so ill post what she says and im going to ask her about IUGR
  • Look all i did was ask advice and ive answered questions yall have asked me. If you have no advice and nothing positive to say then stay off the page. Im just asking for advice im only 20 and going to be a single mom. My dr. is having me come in tomorrow for observation and to monitor my daughter and then were going to go from there so ill post what she says and im going to ask her about IUGR

• I talked to the ob again at labor and delivery they did an NST and an ultrasound on her and I asked her if it was IUGR she said no. My original dr got my due date wrong and come thursday i will be a week past my due date and so they are inducing me come friday morning at 6am. But she said monday after she looked at the ultrasound pictures and said that she wasnt measuring 35 weeks she is measuring over full term. Thank you for the advice.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I dont know. and calling me fucking stupid really u need to check urself im just saying what the dr said. If ur that ignorant of a person replying and posting that then u need to just STFU. thank you :)

• A responsible OB is not going to change your due date based off an u/s done in 3rd Tri or have as much crazy going on as you described in this post @Serenitymay8‌. Nor should they schedule an induction based off a single growth scan. Growth scans are notoriously inaccurate in 3rd Tri. And how the hell does an OB get the due date wrong by several weeks and not catch it till you're a few weeks from term? You need to educate yourself about what proper care is before your baby gets here. You either have an exceptionally stupid OB or you are grossly misunderstanding/misinterpreting everything your OB says. Edit for mobile typos
    All of this. Especially the bolded.

I didn't think it was possible for this whole thing to make even less sense than it already did, but there you go. Do you truly not see how none of this sounds right at all?! Have you really managed to stay this uninformed for the last 8 or 9 months?
  • I dont know. and calling me fucking stupid really u need to check urself im just saying what the dr said. If ur that ignorant of a person replying and posting that then u need to just STFU. thank you :)

@serenitymay8 carefull, there's a bunch of trolls around here. Dont take anything you read in this communities very seriously, there's a few people here that have either no life or sex and try to get in your nerves to make you as unhappy and frustrated as they are.

My OPINION on your issue is to get an extra opinion from another Dr if possible. Sometimes it's complicated to get transfered to another OB due to liability issues but you could give it a try. In most cases they have a team of Dr.'s ask if you could see someone else in the same Drs offic you've been going to.

Good Luck :) 

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• CJnKR2014CJnKR2014 member
    edited May 2014
    It was an er dr. that told me she was measuring 35 weeks instead of 38 weeks.
    But wait then you said....
    she was an ob dr. on call for labor and delivery i wasnt in the er i was in labor and delivery in washington regional.
    So it was an ER doctor... but you weren't in the ER... And by the way, hun, being 20 doesnt excuse you from knowing things and making sure you understand what is going on. I'm 20 and I make damn sure that I understand everything the doctor has told me before I leave every appointment. As a PP said, I'd rather have my OB double and triple check where my babies' heads are, than be surprised come delivery day and have something go wrong. You need to sit down with your OB and make sure you 100% understand exactly what theyare telling you, and if the situation really is as JACKED UP as you are telling it to be, then you need another opinion. If it isn't and this is all just you misunderstanding what you are bing told, you need to pay more attention to the doc and ASK MORE QUESTIONS. ETA these ladies are truly trying to give you good advice. yeah we can all be snarky, salty hoes, but under that they are truly trying to help and are concerned for you and LOs well being. Take what they say to heart.

@serenitymay8 carefull, there's a bunch of trolls around here. Dont take anything you read in this communities very seriously, there's a few people here that have either no life or sex and try to get in your nerves to make you as unhappy and frustrated as they are.

My OPINION on your issue is to get an extra opinion from another Dr if possible. Sometimes it's complicated to get transfered to another OB due to liability issues but you could give it a try. In most cases they have a team of Dr.'s ask if you could see someone else in the same Drs offic you've been going to.

Good Luck :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"