Natural Birth

Anyone labor naturally with an OP baby?

I am almost 38 weeks, and my midwife confirmed that this baby is in an OP position. Anyone have a successful med-free delivery with an OP baby?

I'm trying to spend time on my hands and knees, but I'm trying to prepare myself if this baby doesn't turn until labor, or never turns at all. I feel like its even more important to go med-free so I can stay mobile to hopefully turn the baby during labor. I plan on using the shower and a TENS unit for pain relief during labor, unfortunetly I am GBS+ so I will not be allowed to use the tub, per hospital policy. Any experience or tips?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone labor naturally with an OP baby?

• A close friend of mines son was op during most of her labor but turned during . She had him naturally . My oldest crowned sidways and I had her naturally. My friend had some serious back pain though .
  • I've had two OP babies - #1 and #3.  #3 was even born at home.  You can do it!

• Loading the player...
  • DD1 was OP. Labored naturally with no issues--but with a midwife who was awesome at coaching through the pushing phase and having me use different positions. It can be done! Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Have you been on www.spinningbabies.com?  There are specific techniques for an OP baby during labor (such as the 'abdominal lift and tuck' and 'belly sifting' that can really help.  You can use a lot of counter pressure on your lower back as well.  I have a friend who has delivered 3 babies OP naturally.
  • My LO was OP. I spent all of my time laboring on hands and knees in the tub. The warm water on my belly really helped with the contractions. I also had my H and doula apply counter pressure to my back since I had horrible back labor. My contractions never really established a solid pattern so I went with how I was feeling. My doula wanted to wait to go to the hospital for another hour but I insisted on going after 9 hours of laboring at home. My LO was delivered within 2 hours of arriving at the hospital.
    Stay positive you can deliver an OP baby. Just get into some good positions to help LO turn. My doula also had me try some contractions standing up and rotating my hips around. This was ot help LO turn as well.
    I agree with PPS check out spinning babies for some additional techniques/positions ot help LO turn.
  • Thanks everyone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is the reasoning behind not being allowed in the tub because they don't want the hep-lock to get wet? Or because of some further risk to yourself/baby?

I laboured with an OP baby, and it was fine. Not great, but manageable. Used the shower a lot, and the tub was great too.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Mine was OP.  And a looong labor.  I ended up with epi out of sheer exhaustion.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine was OP during labor, but then turned. I preferred the squatting position during contractions, in addition to swaying/standing. So I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. I almost (sadly) feel its a dis-service to tell women that they are OP prior to labor. I feel like it causes unnecessary stress, especially when planning a natural birth. You can do it though!!
    8.7.04 Married the Man
    7.16.11 Welcomed the Boy (#1)
    8.19.13 Welcomed the Boy (#2)

• DS was OP. I found out at my dr appt the morning I went into labor. It was major back labor. I labored at home until 3-1-1 and got to the hospital at 9pm and was 2cm. I could not sit or be on hands and knees due to how much pressure it put on my back. I labored standing leaning over a table while DH squeezed my hips and rubbed my back and I also labored sitting on the toilet. I got to 10cm in 4 hours and started pushing using a squat bar. I pushed for 2 hours with my water still in tact while the nurse helped turn the baby. I would push and then she would float the baby back up while turning gently. After 2 hours he was in position and my midwife popped my water and he came out in 2 pushes. It was a ton of work! But it is doable. My mom had all 5 of us naturally and only one was OP. After my birth a doula friend of mine told me that if you put an ice pack on your lower back it helps encourage the baby to turn. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got an epi hours after my water broke with my first. But then 8 hours later, he was OP and decelerating at every contraction so they turned off my epi because it was so strong I couldn't feel the urge to push. So, I delivered him OP with no pain meds. I had a 4th degree tear that healed perfectly and a perfectly healthy baby. While I had no intention of birthing with no pain meds, it worked out great!
  • I feel I need to say that I never planned for a med free birth so I'm sure the techniques these ladies offer will definitely help you! Personally I was completely unprepared to birth with no pain meds, especially because I enjoyed the effects of an epi for hours, but ultimately, I recall every second of the birth and felt completely in control as I delivered. Best of luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"